DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Interface Question

I'm working on my ModPlus extension, and I need a way for GMs to click on fields in order to determine the editability of that field (cannot be edited by player, editable but GM gets to approve each change, and editable but flagged as an edit until GM acknowledges the edits). I'd like to be able to recognize the 'alt' key when clicking on fields as a signal that the GM is trying to set the edit ability of a field. The question is: Is the alt key currently used in core, 3.5, or PF to do anything. I know the control key has been used at times to do something that I cannot remember, but I can't remember the alt key doing anything when clicking on a field.

Why not just have a button toggle similar to the public note checkbox, or use string_cycler like the options window?

I don't think the Alt key is used, but I always try to avoid requiring a modifier key to perform tasks. It's just not obvious to users unless they read manuals/instructions. Almost every task in FG related to modifier keys in FG can be done another way without modifier keys.

How are you handling edits for players given that only one player can "own" a record?

Cheers,
    JPG

JPG, you bring up good points on the Alt key, but the alternative requires an icon or button of some kind, and I'm not wild about putting a bunch of buttons all over the form. If you have a better idea, I'm sure listening. The way I'm planning on implementing is that if you hold down the alt key and click, it brings up a dialog window to set the edit ability.

As to your question on ownership: initially, I don't plan on allowing anyone but the character owner to do the editing, so it won't be a problem because he owns it. Later, I guess I'll have to use OOB messaging to promulgate the change through the GM's computer.

Thread Information