5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Running two instances of Fantasy Grounds on the same computer.

I found an old license that I had forgotten about, and wanted to test some things by running another copy of Fantasy Grounds as a player.

I've seen this done in Youtube tutorials, but how is it done? Attempting to install another copy looks like it would just overwrite the original.

I Googled this problem and could very well have failed my check, but I couldn't find anything about this.

Thanks in advance.

Proud Graduate of Parallel University.

Blog Entries
    Launch your campaign as per usual.

Launch a second instance of FG (same license) and connect with localhost as your address/IP.

1st instance is DM 2nd instance has Player interface.

This is how I control PCs for people who aren't able to make a game session... assume many others do the same. It is also a great way to see what your player's see when you do your DM stuff.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

You can run two instances on the same machine with a single license, just by firing up fantasy grounds twice and connecting to localhost with the second one.

The only reason you would need a second license is if you were connecting from a different machine.

Cheers
    JPG

Ok, very cool. As for that other license, can I give it away? If so, would it still work? it's from Fantasy Grounds 1. I have a couple who are sharing a license in the same campaign, and it would be great to give them a second license to use on a separate computer.

Technically, if the other license has not been used it may be transferred once. This is to accommodate someone who buys licenses as a bundle and then distributes them to a group.

Ok, thank you.

Hello!

When I try to start two instances of fantasy grounds I get an error from steam that the game are already started, so, how do I fool steam so I can start the game twice?

BR
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by jonssonj View Post
    When I try to start two instances of fantasy grounds I get an error from steam that the game are already started, so, how do I fool steam so I can start the game twice?
    Don't start the second instance through Steam. You should have a shortcut/menu icon to start Fantasy Grounds directly - use that to launch the second instance. Or, if you're on Window 8, right-click on the running Fantasy Grounds icon in the taskbar and click on the "Fantasy Grounds" menu options, this will start another instance of Fantasy Grounds.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Is there any way to run two instances using one license on TWO computers, but on the same network?
    I know that sounds super-against-the-rules, but I want to project a map in one instance from one computer, and then actually DM the game in a separate instance, on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by shemantis View Post
    Is there any way to run two instances using one license on TWO computers, but on the same network?
    I know that sounds super-against-the-rules, but I want to project a map in one instance from one computer, and then actually DM the game in a separate instance, on my laptop.
    1) Get an ultimate licence/subscription. :-)
    2) Connect a single player instance with a free licence to the GM instance with a full licence - the game will switch to demo mode and will allow only this one connection, but data will be saved and will operate as normal for this once connection. No other free licence connections will be allowed, or if you connect and full with a different licence to the GM it will switch to normal mode and kick the free licence off the server.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information