DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Filling out Chr*nicle sheets.

There haven't been many sessions run on here lately and as we now have lots of pre-built scenarios available, I guess that recent rulings about how chronicles are done has meant that gm's are reluctant to run games now. After running a session last Sunday, I spent 3 hours on Monday evening filling out chronicles, and they still aren't all done. I was left thinking that it wasn't worth running pfs games. It is a shame because I love pfs, and when you run games tabletop the whole thing takes about half an hour for the whole party. Which got me thinking why it was so much of a pain online. Basically, what happens at the tabletop is the gm gives the players the gold earned earned, the prestige earned, boons and they fill out the sheet and then the gm checks and signs it. Most of the information on the information on a chronicle is provided by a player. Online, its a pain getting information about 5 or 6 characters you don't necessarily know and also finding info about purchases/day job rolls etc, which is spread out across forums. It gets confusing (for me at least) and mistakes happen and then the chronicles get sent back and forth...

Basically, I am suggesting giving players the chronicle at the end of the scenario, with gp/prestige earned and ask them to fill out the chronicle and send it back to me to check/sign. Yes, this is different to the procedure in the guide, but so is having the gm fill out the whole chronicle. If you end up with an accurate legal chronicle, does it matter that much how you got there? It is also more work for the players, but I don't think it will take them much longer, and I could spend the time making the next scenario instead.

Is it ok with the powers-that-be to do it like this?
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Blog Entries
    The whole book keeping aspect sounds like a big PITA to me. Hard enough blocking off time to enter the adventure, plus an evening or two to play, and then a few more to play pretend accountant. Distributed responsibility sounds like a good solution.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Skellan View Post
    I guess that recent rulings about how chronicles are done has meant that gm's are reluctant to run games now.
    I've had feedback from a few GMs saying they aren't motivated to run PFS games online after the ruling on chronicles - the extra work to produce a chronicle and/or the whole way it was handled.

Basically, I am suggesting giving players the chronicle at the end of the scenario, with gp/prestige earned and ask them to fill out the chronicle and send it back to me to check/sign. Yes, this is different to the procedure in the guide, but so is having the gm fill out the whole chronicle. If you end up with an accurate legal chronicle, does it matter that much how you got there? It is also more work for the players, but I don't think it will take them much longer, and I could spend the time making the next scenario instead.

Is it ok with the powers-that-be to do it like this?
    As long as you get a legal chronicle in the end I don't think this is an issue.

My questions would be: What format is the chronicle that you send to the players to fill out, how would they fill it out and send it back to you?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post

What format is the chronicle that you send to the players to fill out, how would they fill it out and send it back to you?
    Open to suggestions here. I guess having players do the same as gm's and either scan/write on the chronicle or edit using photoshop or GIMP as its free? They could send it back wither by email or on the forums. Alternatively, (and dare I say it hehe?) we could use something similar to the old electronic chronicle (but with 'this is not a legal chronicle stamped on it') and have it set up just for data collection so it looks different to a chronicle?. It was nice how it did the calculations etc. The gm would still have to copy the info over and check this way but I reckon this would still be loads quicker.

I think the first is probably the best but would involve players either having access to a scanner or being able to use GIMP/photoshop. Its a bit harsh on players but they may be ok with it if it meant that there are more scenarios being run.

Open to suggestions here...

I think you'd end up with more headaches asking players to mess around with a graphics app if they didn't have access to a scanner.

The idea of a blank, admin pre-release chronicle sheet sounds like a better idea - with a big watermark across it saying it is not a legal chronicle. I can look into that if people think it is worthwhile?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think Lachancery had an approved way to handle this. He mentioned something in a post about doing chronicles the way one of the online VO's did it. Might want to ask him what it is because it sounded like a form-fillable pdf that could be shared between GMs. Don't know for sure.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Its not that hard to handle the chronicles. I don't know about other PDF readers, but if you use a program to split off the chronicle sheet, the GM can set them up fairly easily.

First put in the session information: GM #, Session #, Date, Signature, mark down the Gold, XP and what items aren't available using the Signing Tools, save as base file; make correct # of copies.
    The GM's then either email or provide link, the players put in their information, starting gold, XP, spent gold, sold items, bought items; again using the Signing Tools.
    GM checks, edits if necessary, then seals the file so it becomes uneditable; alerts the players and done.

Video on Process

This took about 1 hour all told, compared to when I had to do everything which took more like 3 hours. Though if I remember correctly, it was still considered too much to reasonably expect from PCs or some such.
    Another thought on why its slowing down is that it doesn't seem like many newer modules are being used.
    Last edited by Mgrancey; March 7th, 2014 at 19:10.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

I think either way has its merits. Its good that gm's have options and could do either. Its a good thing to know Mgrancey.

Personally, I quite like the idea of an admin pre-release chronicle sheet - just something to collect all the info. Its getting the info etc that seems to take me the time. I reckon copying and checking wouldn't take long. It could perhaps have the top part where the scenario name and number is written, locked/renamed, and the 'gm use only' strip on the bottom removed as well as having the watermark? So it couldn't be used as a chronicle. Perhaps the bit where it adds up purchases could be put back? With this, you could just ask players to fill out the whole form and you would basically get all the info in one handy sheet.

Not that I know how to do this. Umm, Trenloe...

Not that I know how to do this. Umm, Trenloe...
    Try this wee fella.

That's awesome, you are a star thanks! I will give it a try soon

Thread Information