FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Create ability-item?

Hi!

Is it possible to create items for the "Abilities"- and the "Skills"-tab of the character-sheet without changing an existing library-module and doing one of my own? I am able to create a new entry at a character-sheet but I want to create an item with explanation for Feats, Skills, Special Abilities etc., that could be dragged and dropped from one sheet to another (or from my story-entry) like an item for the inventory.
    I know, most of these items could be found in the library, but I want to play with people, for whom I have to do translations of things and skills etc. and the items from the library could not be changed.
    Is it stupid Hastur not finding the right buttons or is this simply not possible to do?

Greetings
    Hastur

You could create your own module by make a copy of an existing module, and translating the data XML inside (both module name and module data). Then, it can be loaded and used separate from the provided module.

There's not currently a method to create campaign lists of abilities/feats within the ruleset.

Regards,
    JPG

I don't completely understand, but try this. Drag an item for the library (that you can't change) into the Item list for the campaign. A copy of the item should appear in the list that can be changed.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastur View Post
    Is it possible to create items for the "Abilities"- and the "Skills"-tab of the character-sheet without changing an existing library-module and doing one of my own?
    Create a new, blank character, and then connect via a new, local connection with an unused player name. Select this character. (This step is so that it doesn't show up for players...)

Now, drag and drop the abilities and skills from the library module onto the new character's tab. Edit these to your liking.

You can now drag and drop these from the new character sheet onto a player's sheet as needed. If you need these in another campaign, export this character sheet from the existing campaign and import into the new campaign.

Andraax, have you actually tried this? Without my extension, I don't think it will work, as only the link is copied to the ability area in 3.5 or PF.

I am working on a solution to this problem right now. My solution will let you edit modules directly in FG, such that you can apply the changes to a campaign or the ruleset, and the changes will be remembered and applied if the base library module is changed (obviously, there are limits, like if the ability you edit is deleted in the new version, but even then, you can still store your own version). I'm having to pull some really squirrel-ly coding stunts to get this to work, and I'm not done yet, but I've tested all the pieces of my solution individually.

At the rate that I can do things, it will probably take me a month or more to get this done. The first step of my program was fixing Nickademus' problem with abilities and the extension I have, but this was just the tip of a large iceberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Andraax, have you actually tried this? Without my extension, I don't think it will work, as only the link is copied to the ability area in 3.5 or PF.
    I works with the latest C&C ruleset (based on CoreRPG). It should work the same with any ruleset based on CoreRPG (I believe that Moon made stuff copy to character sheets by default instead of just linking with 3.0.3).

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I works with the latest C&C ruleset (based on CoreRPG). It should work the same with any ruleset based on CoreRPG (I believe that Moon made stuff copy to character sheets by default instead of just linking with 3.0.3).
    This assumption is correct if the CoreRPG objects you are referring to are being used unchanged in the layered ruleset - and if the CoreRPG drag/drop code has been programmed to copy the information rather than the link. CoreRPG does not have dragable skills or abilities, and the objects that are mentioned here are coded in the 3.5e/PFRPG ruleset to be links, not copies of the data. It is not default behavior to copy the whole data across with a drag/drop - it has to be designed that way on the ruleset.

I mentioned in this post which objects in the 3.5e/PFRPG character sheets are created as links: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post168562
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 17th, 2014 at 03:42.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Trenloe, I have an extension that fixes that problem. You haven't put it on the 3.5/Pathfinder list yet. I figured it was just because you hated me or something (grin)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Trenloe, I have an extension that fixes that problem. You haven't put it on the 3.5/Pathfinder list yet. I figured it was just because you hated me or something (grin)!
    Yeah, it's because I hate you. But, don't take it personally.

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for all the work you do maintaining those lists, by the way. They are priceless.

Thread Information