FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Formatted Player Notes

No Longer Needed - Included in FG 3.0.3

For use with rulesets based on CoreRPG only!

I've thrown together a very quick extension that changes the campaign notes field to be a formattedtext control:

Attachment 6166

Put this in your <FG App Data>\extensions folder and select "Formatted Notes (CoreRPG+)" from the extensions list when loading a campaign.

Note: This will only work with campaigns that don't have notes already as it changes the underlying database node type and so trying to open notes from a campaign without the extension will raise errors. If you're up to a bit of XML editing you can fix this yourself - see post #4 below for details.

Here's an example of a note with links to an image, an NPC (personality) and another note:

Technical Info

Ruleset tag used: none. This extension will show for any FG ruleset (it does not have a <ruleset> tag in the extension.xml file) - but it uses code from CoreRPG and so will only work with rulesets that are based on or layered on top of the CoreRPG ruleset.
    CoreRPG version compatible: 3.0.2
    Code changed: <windowclass name="note"> copied from campaign\campaign_notes.xml. <stringfield name="text"> changed to <basicft name="text">
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 11th, 2014 at 03:00.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This is great!!!

Would you be able to do a quick find-and-replace to convert a campaign with existing notes to be able to use this?

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Would you be able to do a quick find-and-replace to convert a campaign with existing notes to be able to use this?
    Yep, within the <notes> section only of the campaign db.xml (or a module); replace <text type="string"> with <text type="formattedtext">
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm debating making this a general change. It's been floating around a bit as a suggestion, and I haven't been able to think of any reasons not to (other than inertia). Also, since notes are not exportable to modules, it makes migration issues a snap.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I'm debating making this a general change. It's been floating around a bit as a suggestion, and I haven't been able to think of any reasons not to (other than inertia). Also, since notes are not exportable to modules, it makes migration issues a snap.
    Yep, the only issue I see is older campaigns with notes - I assume it is possible to upgrade the "string" fields to "formattedtext" in the database?

I had thought about modules briefly, but hadn't looked into it to realise that notes aren't exportable - that makes it easier.

That will also avoid the need for the <merge> issue I emailed you about!

Yeah, apologies to all for delayed responses. I've really tried to knuckle down, and knock out some documentation. I'll hopefully be ready to show the updated documentation next week.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Yeah, apologies to all for delayed responses. I've really tried to knuckle down, and knock out some documentation. I'll hopefully be ready to show the updated documentation next week.
    No worries at all. You're a stronger willed man than me when it comes to documentation, I'm very easily distracted...

Is there a reason not to have formatted field in every instance where there is a multi-line field entry, I mean as a general rule?

Thread Information