STAR TREK 2d20

Is a Mix and Match Possible

So, I have savage worlds and Deadlands reloaded.

Can I add additional setting modules such as hell on earth reloaded ,necropolis 2350 and hellfrost without conflict?

What I am looking to do is a cross genre type game, and I wanted to see if this is possible before purchasing the additional settings.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Modules will not conflict but extensions will.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thanks for the response.

So, if I understand you correctly, Deadlands:reloaded and Hell on earth have extensions, but also players guides.

So, I could use the GM version of, say Hell on Earth, and then use the players guides for Deadlands reloaded and hellfrost.

Will this work well - ie - players can have characters from the players guides, and they will work with the hell on earth extension?

I suppose I could just buy one and try it, but I am trying to understand how the different modules work.

Deadlands reloaded does not use the standard NPC template, so I do not think you can mix it in with anything else...
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Is the hell on earth NPC template similar to the deadlands one?

Nope all other rulesets (so far) use the standard SW settings, only Deadlands reloaded is different.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I have deadlands reloaded and Savage Worlds Deluxe. How different is Deadlands? What exactly is different?

Also, could I use the horror companion with it? The other companions?

Or would the best way be to get hell on earth with extensions and add Hellfrost and Necropolis 2350 to that.

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to know what is possible.

So as Doswelk has mentioned, you should only run one "setting" extension at a time - otherwise the graphics / code will almost certainly interfere with each other and cause odd effects. But you can have library modules from MANY settings open, and bring in the NPCs from all those settings.

So first solution is if you play with the Deadlands: Reloaded extension, then you can drag regular npcs from other modules onto either the Critters or Humans tool list, and they will work. E.g. you'll have no data translation problems.

Problems start if you want to use the DL:R modules outside of the DL:R extension. This is because instead of the "npc" class, it has the "critter" class and the "humans" class. So to use the Deadlands: Reloaded library module, you DO need to be in the Deadlands: Reloaded extension, otherwise you'll see an error when you try and drag a "critter" or "human" into the Personalities tool, which only expects to see "npc" classes, and throws and error

With hindsight and experience, this could be improved to be more open, but for now there is a workaround for people wanting to use DL:R modules outside of the extension.

If you first load your campaign with Deadlands: Reloaded, and then drag any critters you want into the critters list, then when you exit and reload that campaign WITHOUT Deadlands: Reloaded, they will still be there, and fully working. This is because the Personalities tool and the DL:R Critters tool store data in the same area. If you want any DL:R Humans, you'll need to drag them into the Critters tool beforehand, as other extensions / the basic ruleset will not see these otherwise.

Hope this helps ?
    Ben (-PW-)
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

OK, now I understand the issue. Thanks!

Thread Information