STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I'm considering it.

A 'CRIT: #(d#) <type>' tag for pcs and a 'plus #(d#) crit <type>' entry for npcs.
    Witchcraft I tells yah.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I'm considering it.

A 'CRIT: #(d#) <type>' tag for pcs and a 'plus #(d#) crit <type>' entry for npcs.
    That'd be rather interesting.

Since you bring it up, though, is there currently a way to add multiple damage rolls to PCs, a la the "plus 1d6" method? It seems like currently all that can be done is lumping all the rolls into the "damage" box in the weapon's section. Would be nice if it existed~

Quote Originally Posted by Jwguy View Post
    Since you bring it up, though, is there currently a way to add multiple damage rolls to PCs, a la the "plus 1d6" method? It seems like currently all that can be done is lumping all the rolls into the "damage" box in the weapon's section. Would be nice if it existed~
    Use multiple effects. e.g. DMG:1d6 fire would be one effect, just add multiple effects in the combat tracker.

If you're not familiar with effects, see the user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userg...ffects_35E.xcp Look at the left hand sidebar entries under "Effects" at the bottom of the sidebar, particularly "Label: Modifiers".

Also search the 3.5e forums for "effects" there are numerous threads with examples...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Use multiple effects. e.g. DMG:1d6 fire would be one effect, just add multiple effects in the combat tracker.

If you're not familiar with effects, see the user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userg...ffects_35E.xcp Look at the left hand sidebar entries under "Effects" at the bottom of the sidebar, particularly "Label: Modifiers".

Also search the 3.5e forums for "effects" there are numerous threads with examples...
    That's a nice thing, and certainly helpful, but I feel like it doesn't seem to cover all scenarios, you know? Say a character is using two weapons, one with a Flaming Enchantment, and the other with some other Enchantment or damage. That'd mean for a full attack you'd be switching back and forth a lot, compared to just having it tagged on to a weapon, specifically... unless there's a way to differentiate, that is. I looked over the list briefly, since I was at work, but I didn't seem to see any parameter with that capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwguy View Post
    That's a nice thing, and certainly helpful, but I feel like it doesn't seem to cover all scenarios, you know? Say a character is using two weapons, one with a Flaming Enchantment, and the other with some other Enchantment or damage. That'd mean for a full attack you'd be switching back and forth a lot, compared to just having it tagged on to a weapon, specifically... unless there's a way to differentiate, that is. I looked over the list briefly, since I was at work, but I didn't seem to see any parameter with that capability.
    If you want to do that then enable specific effects for one roll or one round - depending how they get used. You can change different damage types together within the same single application of an effect. e.g. DMG: 1d6 fire; DMG:1d8 cold So you could put all of the effects you need for a specific weapon into one entry and if you hit, press the "Effect" icon to apply the single effect entry you've created before you roll damage. One click to apply effect, double-click to apply damage which will then include the effect you've just added.

The weapon entries and effects have never been designed to cover all scenarios - that would be a huge undertaking. But, it's amazing what you can do with effects - and community members are expanding what you can be done. I'd hazard a guess that in excess of 90% of most scenarios can be covered by what is available now...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I feast on that 10%.

I'm considering whether it would be worth it to have an effect field in each weapon entry that when you used it would remove a previous weapon effect and apply the new weapon's effect. In essence, you would be clicking to swap weapons.

Though, this is no more or less clicks than Roll effects for each weapon so the only benefit I see is that it would be in the weapon section of the character sheet. Not too motivated to do this yet.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Nickademus,

From what I've been thinking about, I think it should really be a more elaborate damage definition subwindow. Basically, the user would start with a blank list of damage entries for a weapon. Then, they hit add an entry (dice, modifier, damage type, and normal vs. crit). The damage handler would also need to be updated to handle this. I haven't figured out in my mind whether it should be inline, or a separate details window. (was thinking latter though).

Just haven't had the time to experiment.

Cheers,
    JPG

Understandable.

I'm almost done with this. I did find a bug in the 3.5e code that causes non-dice DMG: modifiers to sometimes use the dice from other DMG: modifiers. So the two effects "DMG: 1d6 fire" and "DMG: 2 good" might result in, on the roll of a 3 on the d6, [TYPE: piercing,slashing,good (0D+5=5)] [TYPE: piercing,slashing,fire (1D+0=0)] when using a dagger for instance. Not a problem for raw damage, but when resistances and immunities come into play this will cause the wrong damage.

I fixed it in my extension (soon to be updated) as I had to for the CRIT: tag.
    Last edited by Nickademus; March 3rd, 2014 at 23:43.

Here you go.

Witchcraft is ready. :P

Thread Information