5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

CoreRPG Conversion Issues.

I am converting my Champions Extension to work with CoreRPG but I'm running into a few problems.
    One of them I keep butting up against is that my text is no longer displaying in a number of situations. I'm pretty sure it's a font issue but I can't seem to find where the font code is being defined now.
    For example:
    Code:
    <static textres="char_label_skilltotal" />
    This line yields blank text for me. I'm not quite sure how 'textres' works. Can someone explain it?
    I can replace this line with
    Code:
    <static>Total</static>
    and it works just fine.. but I can see that there might be advantages to having the strings all defined in the one place. Where do I tweak my fonts for the associated strings?
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

textres work very similar to the graphics resource entries - the name "char_label_skilltotal" will be referenced in a strings_XXXXXX.xml file somewhere - usually in the \strings directory of the ruleset. It is done this way to allow for language translation.

"Find in files" is the way to go to see where this resource is defined. Although, the fact that it is blank suggests that it is not defined anywhere.

So, create your ruleset specific string_XXXXX.xml file, reference it in your ruleset base.xml (so it loads) and add your new string resource for char_label_skilltotal as:
    Code:
    <string name="char_label_skilltotal">Total</string>
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Additional: What are you basing your rulset off? In the CoC ruleset (\strings\strings_coc.xml) char_label_skilltotal is defined as:
    Code:
    <string name="char_label_skilltotal">T</string>
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Actually.. I think it's a font issue. The font is not defined for the text. The text is defined in the strings.xml file... that part is working in the standard 3.5... the issue is that I'm using 'Comic Book' fonts for my text and so the text here is displaying but doesn't know what font to use.. so it displays as 'blank'.
    I'm trying to make as few changes to the structure of the 3.5 and CoreRPG code as possible... so hopefully my extension will be compatible with future updates without a huge amount of tweakage.

Blog Entries
    Yup, textres has been introduced to assist with localization support. It works just like font, graphics and icons in so much you define (register) these resources and then reference them in other controls. If your missing text and the ruleset isn't complaining it can't find the textres (check the console), you maybe right in that the control using the textres either has no font defined or the defined font cannot be found. Check graphics/graphics_font.xml for any missing font definitions. If your extension makes use of new fonts, make sure your registering them and have included them in the appropriate path.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    That sounds about right... I don't see any definition for 'textres' in any of the fonts files though... not in mine (Champions/graphics/graphics_fonts_hero.xml)... or in CoreRPG/graphics/graphics_fonts.xml.. or in 3.5e/graphics/graphics_fonts.xml... so I'm not sure what the definition is supposed to look like. Obviously I could be missing it in there somewhere... but it isn't jumping out at me.

My fonts are registered and they work when called. My example below displays one of my fonts... wait... is the textres font defined in the 'static' function somewhere?
    Last edited by Blackfoot; November 7th, 2013 at 19:08.

One other piece of information on the new string resource capability, a textres attribute or tag will override a value attribute or plain text within the tag.

If you are trying to override a tag (such as static), make sure to use the merge="replace" attribute on that tag, so it completely overrides the underlying tag. By default, tags and attributes are merged.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Could I have neglected to bring a necessary supporting file over?
    My fonts seem to work fine when I call them in other ways... but textres doesn't seem to work anywhere in my extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    Could I have neglected to bring a necessary supporting file over?
    My fonts seem to work fine when I call them in other ways... but textres doesn't seem to work anywhere in my extension.
    You shouldn't really be "bringing stuff over" especially from the CoreRPG, you should be using it *in* the CoreRPG files. Otherwise you are not using the power and future upgradability of the CoreRPG ruleset.

Build on top of, not over the CoreRPG.

If you can share the ruleset, I can help you figure it out.
    JPG

Thread Information