FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... Last

Thread: Fate Core?

Fate Core?

I imagine that at least someone will want to run Fate Core or Fate Accelerated at FG Con, or run a live campaign at some point. What I'm wondering is whether anyone is working on bringing these games to FG. I am very new to FG, so this question probably sounds like someone reinventing the wheel.

I'm wondering if there is a set that:

1. Rolls 4dF
    2. Tracks the Fate Point economy (players gain and spend points constantly as aspects are involved, situational aspects are created, and they fail or succeed at tasks)
    3. Has a place to note all the Scene Aspects that get created
    4. Enables the players to track Stress and Consequences
    5. Lets the GM see at a glance which players have which Aspects so they can be easily Compelled

How difficult is that to accomplish? I know I can't do it myself, at least on my own, due to my lack of knowledge of XML/LUA -- but is someone both able to do it and interested in the task? And what is involved in doing it?
    FGU Ultimate -- All Players Welcome
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

Valarian was running a Fate Core game last September, and he has some community rulesets he has put together.

The link from his sig:
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

I'm not sure how much of the rules that his systems support, but he is providing them to the community to use.

Regards,
    JPG

The Dresden Files ruleset works for running Fate Core.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    I'm wondering if there is a set that:
    1. Rolls 4dF
    2. Tracks the Fate Point economy (players gain and spend points constantly as aspects are involved, situational aspects are created, and they fail or succeed at tasks)
    3. Has a place to note all the Scene Aspects that get created
    4. Enables the players to track Stress and Consequences
    5. Lets the GM see at a glance which players have which Aspects so they can be easily Compelled
    More detailed reply now I'm not on the mobile.

1. Yes, though I've not updated to the FG3 CoreRPG yet so the graphics are d6 rather than the nifty new Fudge dice graphics.
    2. Yes, the Fate points are recorded (refresh/current) on the character sheet.
    3. Not specifically. I tend to use a shared Note or Story item for this.
    4. Yes, the Stress Tracks are on the character sheet.
    5. The GM has visibility over all the character sheets.
    I was even starting to play with a double-click on the aspect line giving the message: <name> invokes <aspect> for a player character, or: GM compels <aspect> for the GM double-clicking the aspect.

Happy to do a demo at some point one evening, if time zones are compatible. Or I can crunch up a demo campaign file for you to look at, which would allow you to look at the ruleset. If running the demo campaign in the unregistered/lite versions the same restrictions apply to the standard ones. You can't save or create stuff, only use what's already there, and the connections are limited to a single player.

I am also interested in this ruleset. I downloaded the Dresden one, is most recent one?

A Core Fate Core would be nice...

Previously: MurghBpurn

I've managed to copy over one my my Fate Core characters into the DF set. It looks a bit different but should be nice and functional.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a dedicated Fate Core ruleset, or a mode dedicated adaptation of another set. Sadly, I got an unpleasant reminder at work today about the limits of my skills with syntax (in writing spreadsheet formulas, an easier task than codeing XML).
    FGU Ultimate -- All Players Welcome
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

Current future plans for Fate are a CoreRPG Fate Core with some basic OGL/CC libraries (I'll have to investigate what I can do under the licenses). I'm planning on having some sort of customisable interface for the number/type of stress tracks and skill lists. I'm hoping some basic XML tables will cover this with some Lua initialisation scripting. I'm also hoping that the extension layering will allow me to do all of this as extensions of CoreRPG, rather than a Fate version of CoreRPG with flavour extensions for the various Fate games.

Quite when I'll have the time to do all this and everything else I want to do, I have no idea.

Fate Core is also licensed under Creative Commons CC-BY, which is much much better than the OGL. Under CC-BY you'll just have to make a clear statement that your resource is powered by Fate Core by Evil Hat, and nothing more. See https://www.faterpg.com/licensing/licensing-fate-cc-by/ for more details.

As far as I know, Fate Core is the most open serious rpg there is, going even further than Eclipse Phase.

As for Fate Accelerated and other various flavors of Fate, I think a lot of work can be done with Extensions, and/or children rulesets.

If you do a CoreRPG Fate Core ruleset and need help with graphics, drop me a PM, I'll happily lend a hand.

I would love a robust FATE ruleset (SOF and DF seem to be buggy) and I am willing to wait however long it takes. I certainly understand that people capable of making these kind of rulesets have other (and more important) obligations!

Thread Information