DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

From Savage Worlds to GURPS

I am a recent convert to GURPS, despite a brief flirtation several years back. Please do not misunderstand, I still love Savage Worlds, but I find that it cannot give me the rich Role Playing experience that I crave lately. Having played with a very experienced GURPS GM, I find GURPS superior for my current style and anticipate growing into it in the future.
    Last edited by Dayson; September 7th, 2014 at 20:42.

Greetings and welcome to FG! What version of Gurps did you play? The ruleset most supported is Gurps 4.0. I use gurps character creator to make characters, and then export them in a format usable by FG, using Saithan's tools. https://enhanced.vlexofree.com/

FG was just recently upgraded and we are all waiting with bated breath for the ruleset to be updated to full compatibility as well.

Thank you! And yes we use GURPS 4.0 saithan's ruleset is perfect for playing GURPS on FGII.
    Last edited by Dayson; February 16th, 2014 at 17:14.

I really love SW and Gurps, they're both my two favorite systems. I've gone the opposite direction tough, I haven't got the time and the patience to dedicate myself to a Gurps campaign (guess I'm just getting old). But I love how they both are generic systems without class or "character levels"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    I really love SW and Gurps, they're both my two favorite systems. I've gone the opposite direction tough, I haven't got the time and the patience to dedicate myself to a Gurps campaign (guess I'm just getting old). But I love how they both are generic systems without class or "character levels"
    I agree with you. Savage Worlds, GURPS, and Hero systems all offer plenty of options for your campaigns. However, I would argue that each CAN flavor a campaign. Savage Worlds works best with pulpy action oriented campaigns. GURPS works best with detail oriented and gritty style campaigns. Hero works best with supers and godlike campaigns. I recognize that there are exceptions.

I am trying my best to learn all three.
    Last edited by Dayson; March 16th, 2014 at 16:59.

Funny, I can relate to this discussion. I have a fair number of GURPS *3rd* edition books from my high school and college days all lovingly (kind of) stored in the attic (which is not climate controlled...). I grew up on the GURPS precursors that Steve Jackson authored (Melee, Wizard, and eventually, The Fantasy Trip), so this was gospel to me in my younger years. After college I fell in with buddies who played White Wolf's (classic) World of Darkness and learned the virtues of that, despite my love of GURPS (which I thought brought some tactical tabletop fun to the fantasy combat).

Nowadays, reality (meaning lack of time) has set in, so I'm just happy to get a game, and FG2 allows me to connect with old friends. Since I *don't* have tons of time (nor the coding or art skills) to develop rules sets, I settled on Savage Worlds as a supported, flexible, quick/easy system to use. So far I like it (and am chipping away at hosting a World of Darkness/Savage Worlds Deadlands Noir hybrid chronicle).

That said, I acquired some fun old GURPS sourcebooks for GM/campaign world research, so after the above chronicle is launched, I'd LOVE to do a Rome/Celtic Myth GURPS campaign (and I have both books), along with a couple other ideas I'll keep behind the GM screen. However, I'm hoping that in the fullness of time the community will develop the GURPS rules sets so I can focus on the GMing. (Same idea goes for White Wolf WoD classic.) Dayson, I know what you mean about GURPS being better suited to achieve a certain style of play; I don't want pulp at all for Rome/Celtic Myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Trelane View Post
    However, I'm hoping that in the fullness of time the community will develop the GURPS rules sets so I can focus on the GMing. (Same idea goes for White Wolf WoD classic.)
    Keep an eye on this ruleset: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums...-for-FG3-alpha
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Trelane View Post
    Funny, I can relate to this discussion. I have a fair number of GURPS *3rd* edition books from my high school and college days all lovingly (kind of) stored in the attic (which is not climate controlled...). I grew up on the GURPS precursors that Steve Jackson authored (Melee, Wizard, and eventually, The Fantasy Trip), so this was gospel to me in my younger years. After college I fell in with buddies who played White Wolf's (classic) World of Darkness and learned the virtues of that, despite my love of GURPS (which I thought brought some tactical tabletop fun to the fantasy combat).

Nowadays, reality (meaning lack of time) has set in, so I'm just happy to get a game, and FG2 allows me to connect with old friends. Since I *don't* have tons of time (nor the coding or art skills) to develop rules sets, I settled on Savage Worlds as a supported, flexible, quick/easy system to use. So far I like it (and am chipping away at hosting a World of Darkness/Savage Worlds Deadlands Noir hybrid chronicle).

That said, I acquired some fun old GURPS sourcebooks for GM/campaign world research, so after the above chronicle is launched, I'd LOVE to do a Rome/Celtic Myth GURPS campaign (and I have both books), along with a couple other ideas I'll keep behind the GM screen. However, I'm hoping that in the fullness of time the community will develop the GURPS rules sets so I can focus on the GMing. (Same idea goes for White Wolf WoD classic.) Dayson, I know what you mean about GURPS being better suited to achieve a certain style of play; I don't want pulp at all for Rome/Celtic Myth.
    Wonderful, you can definitely mix and match source books for your campaigns.

I am amazed that there is not more activity on this thread. With so many GURPS fans out there, me being one, there should be plenty of comments. Saithan did a great job of providing this community a ruleset that lets us play anything we want.
    Last edited by Dayson; October 12th, 2015 at 12:18.

Thread Information