FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5th edition players guide

Slipping out of the Savage Worlds forum for a while... I find one of my groups keen for some C&C gaming.

Now, I am a total newb, so apologies for the potential dumbness of this question, but I've got a Kickstarter PDF copy of the 5th edition players guide. The ruleset is still based on the 4th edition, is that right ? Does that have any significant differences ?

In any case, I'm keen to jump in and give it a go, just wondered if I might hit any "gotchas" between the editions that people know about ?

Cheers,
    Ben (-PW-)
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

The books included with the ruleset were updated to 5th edition with v3.x. The rules automation I found applicable was also updated to match.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The books included with the ruleset were updated to 5th edition with v3.x. The rules automation I found applicable was also updated to match.
    Cool! Could the store details be updated to mention this please?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

are there many changes from 4th to 5th? I assumed it was just part of Troll lords never ending fights against typos plus the addition of color prints to the books?

Blog Entries
    Apparently TL said that if you have 4th you shouldn't worry too much about "needing" to buy the 5th. A refreshing change from the money grubbing of WOTC et al.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Trenloe,
    Pop a note over to support email. I'm traveling right now.

Hawkwind,
    The only differences I can remember are the encumbrance system, and perhaps some minor changes on siege check output. It's been awhile since I worked on it.

JPG

My recollection is similar to Moon's... when I was doing dev on the ruleset, we opened a discussion in the dev group regarding what had changed between 4th and 5th, and there was very little. Encumbrance was simplified from 4th to 5th... and there were a couple other small items, but not much.

BTW, I always suggest noobs check out the Crusader's Companion, free doc from Troll Lords: https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/...scompanion.pdf

Filled with all kinds of freebie goodness - monsters, character classes, etc.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Not exactly, no... but of all the things I love about C&C, the encumbrance rules in general are one of the few things I don't dig. Considering my love/hate relationship with most rulesets, I can easily live with that.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

And who buffers with encumbrance so so many players have said over the years. One of my favourite things about fantasy grounds is auto calculating encumbrance.
    I just had a look at the new updated rule set and I have got to say nice job!

Thread Information