5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Ambiance

Ambiance

Saw this on a PFS site. Just browsing its features, this looks very handy.

Ambient music
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I sometimes run games and share my shoutcast stream. I play mp3 files through winamp and the shoutcast server streams it to however clicks on the url. Once on that page they can choose to listen from that page or with their favorite media player.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

I have considered getting a small pod cast setup with a small mixer, so i can play music and ambience while I GM over FG. This was a good site, thanks for the share.

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

I do music and ambiance over VOIP, alongside my own VOIP (using Teamspeak, I connect twice to the server, one regular connexion from my microphone and one another from my audio players).

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I do music and ambiance over VOIP, alongside my own VOIP (using Teamspeak, I connect twice to the server, one regular connexion from my microphone and one another from my audio players).
    This is what I do for the majority of my games. It allows me to listen to exactly what the players are hearing and allows the players to adjust the volume of the music channel themselves so that they can hear everyone talking but have the music in the backgrounds at an acceptable level. It works well...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Great for climax of the campaign!

@Trenloe and @Blacky

Can either of you explain how you are accomplishing this in a bit more detail? I just got started with Teamspeak. Can you do what you guys are referring to on a private channel, or do you need to go to the FG channel?

No, it can work almost anywhere. The trick is to have two Teamspeak identities pushing audio into the same channel at the same time. One identity for your voice, pulling audio from your microphone; and another identity pulling audio from your music player (or whatever).

But there is a caveat: your computer needs to have a decent audio chip, with decent driver. And since most people (including me) use very low-end audio like motherboard integrated Realtek, one would need a way to bypass this. Some add a second audio chip, with a cheap PCI audio card. Some (including me) use a software called Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) that can virtually connect anything to anything, or create a second (and third, etc.) virtual audio input and/or output.

Using VAC, I simply direct my TS ambiance identity to pull from this virtual audio output. And I use a music player (foobar in my case) to output audio to this virtual output.

I'll try to do a detailed tutorial later, but my Windows is in French so I may not have all the correct wording for the options. It sounds somewhat complex, it's not, and in finale it's probably the most elegant solution and quite effective.

Or, install the Teamspeak client on your smartphone and use your phone connected over WiFi For either voice or music/SFX on Teamspeak and use you computer for the other.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yup indeed, that could work. Still using a lot of WiFi (with its bad network quality, not all that good audio chipset, and somewhat unsure health issues) but it's an option. Although, using a tiny screen to handle your music can be problematic for some (using it for voice will just be horrible, bad quality, echoes, and so on).

If needed, I did a full tutorial using VAC (but the principle is the same for any devices).

Thread Information