5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FATE Accelerated Mini-Ruleset (FateRPG)

Salutations!

I've been busy this evening preparing for a little FATE Accelerated campaign I plan on running. I decided that, with the fancy new CoreRPG ruleset now properly issued, I would have a shot at making a few adjustments for the purpose of running an FA game. The result is attached in case anyone else might find it useful. A brief list of my alterations follows:

• The character sheet from CoreRPG has been heavily altered, providing fixed sections for High Concept, Trouble, other Aspects, the Approaches (which can be custom-entered), a Stress Track, and Consequence lines. There's a separate sheet for a list of stunts (or indeed Extras/Gears and so on). I've left the Notes page as-is.
    • The NPC record sheet has been given a stress track with a number field intended for indicating how many of those stress boxes the NPC actually has access to. The various fields have been renamed to let you add Approaches, Aspects and Stunts as you see fit.
    • It might just be me, but I noticed that the +/- button on the modifiers screen in CoreRPG hides the first few letters of the modifier name when viewing the list as a player. So I've made the not-pressed image transparent. If you want to return it to normal just copy-paste across the original file from the CoreRPG ruleset.

I've only run a brief test session with this ruleset, but it seems to work correctly. A few notes on how to use/run FATE Accelerated games with it:

• There's no character-sheet based way of tracking fate points at the moment, because I like to use an image of a table/grid with the players names, around which can be moved Fate Point tokens (the way you'd do it on a real tabletop).
    • I use the Modifiers window feature in FG2 to provide a player-accessible list of all current Aspects in the environment. (The way I run FATE, we come up with Aspects "just-in-time" rather in advance - which I think is how it is intended!
    • There's no automation of initiative for the combat tracker: the GM just has to do it manually, sorry. But given how little work there is to do in FATE, it's not so bad.

Oh, and one last thing, I've included a copy of the "Theme - Wood" extension which has had its XML re-edited so that it will show up for only the FateRPG ruleset. It doesn't overwrite the original "Theme - Wood" extension. Obviously, any extensions that work for CoreRPG will probably work fine with FateRPG. The only things that might not are extensions which fiddle with the Character Sheet or the NPC sheet.

Let me know if you like it and/or use it!

Best,

-- VS

Blog Entries
    Thank you! I will check it out.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    Hey, just got a chance to check out your mini-ruleset. Functional and bug free. Thank you for your contribution!
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

I've been looking for something like this. Thanks!
    FGU Ultimate -- All Players Welcome
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

FAE doesn't show up on my list in the Start New Campaign menu. I think I either unxipped the files wrong or copied the extensions wrong. What is you preferred method?
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    FAE doesn't show up on my list in the Start New Campaign menu. I think I either unxipped the files wrong or copied the extensions wrong. What is you preferred method?
    The ZIP file provided in this thread needs to be unzipped at the FG Data App root level (press the Open Data Folder icon in the top right of the first screen of FG). It will unzip "FateRPG" to the \rulesets directory and "Theme_Wood_FATE" to the extensions directory. Close FG and start it again so that it reads the new ruleset and extension - you should see "FateRPG" as an ruleset in Create New Campaign.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The ZIP file provided in this thread needs to be unzipped at the FG Data App root level (press the Open Data Folder icon in the top right of the first screen of FG). It will unzip "FateRPG" to the \rulesets directory and "Theme_Wood_FATE" to the extensions directory. Close FG and start it again so that it reads the new ruleset and extension - you should see "FateRPG" as an ruleset in Create New Campaign.
    That seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

I like the way to have a number field for the aspect but someone has a script to add the Key Aspects value in the Modifier like Other Aspects or Stunt does?

Regards,
    Neuralnoise.

Unzipping Creates .xml files, not .mod or .ext

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The extensions appear to be .xml and FG does not appear to be reading them. Suggestions?

Thread Information