DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 9 of 44 First ... 789101119 ... Last
    There's certainly a number of gotchas and limitations - all due to the FG API not being designed to cater for everything that this extension needs. These gotchas are all listed in posts #1 and #2 of this thread.

If you really want to use lots of tokens for map background, map features, spell area of effect, etc. then it'll be worth you using it, with the gotchas. If you don't really have a need for multi layers then it's not worth your time.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by jreddin1 View Post
    How hard do you think it would be to add a fourth layer, called "effects"? I can think of some pretty cool stuff that could be put on that layer, above the others, but not interactive. (unless the effects layer was clicked).
    I've been thinking about this and I think it will be a good idea. Especially using spell effect templates like the free pack from our very own Tailz Silver Paws: https://www.wyldfurr.com/index.php/p...ect-templates/

I'll look into this when I return from vacation, and put a prototype together.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm thinking this additional layer would be accessible by the players - allowing them to move spell effects, light sources, etc.. I'll see how well it works when I put a prototype together...

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I've been thinking about this and I think it will be a good idea. Especially using spell effect templates like the free pack from our very own Tailz Silver Paws: https://www.wyldfurr.com/index.php/p...ect-templates/

I'll look into this when I return from vacation, and put a prototype together.
    I've been thinking about it some as well. I'd have to spend some time digesting the layers extension, but I was thinking it needed to behave differently than the other layers. I was thinking about the following:

• Phase 1
      • Transparent, above the "top" layer, no grid.
      • It wouldn't be selectable or editable directly.
      • A few common effect icons would be available via the radial that could be placed on the layer.
      • The radial would also include a "clear effects" selection.
    • Phase 2
      • Effect icons could be added to effects.
      • When an effect was applied to a token, the effect icon would automatically be applied
      • When an effect was cleared from a token, the effect icon would go away.
      • When a token was removed (or made invisible), the effects would be hidden

I think this could get to the point that when an effect cleared in the CT it would automatically clear on the image as well.

Or am I massively over estimating what can be done with extensions?
    Last edited by jreddin1; July 3rd, 2015 at 15:54.

Blog Entries
    I've been thinking about it some as well. I'd have to spend some time digesting the layers extension, but I was thinking it needed to behave differently than the other layers. I was thinking about the following:

• Phase 1
      • Transparent, above the "top" layer, no grid.
      • It wouldn't be selectable or editable directly.
      • A few common effect icons would be available via the radial that could be placed on the layer.
      • The radial would also include a "clear effects" selection.
    • Phase 2
      • Effect icons could be added to effects.
      • When an effect was applied to a token, the effect icon would automatically be applied
      • When an effect was cleared from a token, the effect icon would go away.
      • When a token was removed (or made invisible), the effects would be hidden

I think this could get to the point that when an effect cleared in the CT it would automatically clear on the image as well.

If it can be done in the ruleset it can be done in an extension....
    Your phase 2 list is pretty... impressive...

Have you seen the feature (I cant remember what its called) that Ikael (and I think Mask_of_Winter) added to Savage Worlds. Replaces dead actors with blood splatters.

It's not a case of what can be done in an extension, it's a case of what can be done with an imagecontrol and tokens. The APIs available for both of these FG elements prevents a lot of what you list. It is also the reason why there are so many gotchas listed at the beginning of this thread. The extension has pretty much been pushed to the limits of what the FG API supports as it is.

A few comments on what you mention:

Transparent, above the "top" layer, no grid. If this layer was above all the other layers then the normal tokens (PCs. NPCs, etc.) on the lower level can't be selected unless the lower layer is selected. It will be best to keep the top layer like the current layer - where the PC/NPC tokens go, targeting/movement is controlled, etc.. It would be way too confusing if players ad GMs have to make sure they were on a lower layer to do normal FG map/token activities.

It wouldn't be selectable or editable directly. See the comment above, and also this would severely limit what could be done with this other layer.

A few common effect icons would be available via the radial that could be placed on the layer. This really limits the flexibility of the extension. There will always be someone wanting a new icon.

Phase 2
    Effect icons could be added to effects.
    When an effect was applied to a token, the effect icon would automatically be applied
    When an effect was cleared from a token, the effect icon would go away.
    When a token was removed (or made invisible), the effects would be hidden

You are aware that most of the full rulesets apply effect/condition icons to the tokens when a specific condition/effect is added to the linked entry in the combat tracker? Are you not trying to essentially replicate this functionality? Also, trying to add icons (essentially tokens) on another layer and track those as tokens on other layers are moved/removed would be a coding nightmare - and I'm not even sure it would be possible.

As I mentioned above, there are many, many limits on what can be done with code for imagecontrols and tokens. Plus, my design philosophy behind generic extensions (remember this works with all CoreRPG based rulesets) is to keep them generic if at all possible, make them flexible and try to make them usable. To this end, I'm thinking a fourth layer, below the current top layer, would be the most flexible - GMs/Players can use whatever tokens they wish (generic and flexible) and it will add functionality that could be used in many different ways - spell area of effects, dead tokens, light coverage, blank tokens hiding lower map layers (not relying on the mask that only operates on the lowest level), and I'm sure a few other things I can't think of right now.

Sorry, the above comes across as me shooting down all of your ideas - that isn't my intent, I just want to be clear what is and isn't possible. Please keep the ideas coming. A lot of this simply can't be done or can't be done reliably with the curent FG API. Other things you mention: perhaps I'm not really understanding what you're aiming at - you mention effect icons a lot, but these are already there within most rulesets. Am I misunderstanding what you mean by "effect icons"?

Please keep the ideas coming. This has got me thinking of some nice new features for this extension.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Have you seen the feature (I cant remember what its called) that Ikael (and I think Mask_of_Winter) added to Savage Worlds. Replaces dead actors with blood splatters.
    No, I haven't. Sounds interesting, though. I'll have to go check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Sorry, the above comes across as me shooting down all of your ideas - that isn't my intent, I just want to be clear what is and isn't possible.
    Partypooper.

Seriously, though, that's why I asked you. I have only a smidge of experience with FG, so I need to rely on the experts like you for what can and can't be done.

As for "effect icons", I'm wanting something more than the tiny little squares that are barely visible. Some one mentioned a "blood splatter" extension for Savage Worlds that replaced the token with blood splatters when it died. That's cool, but I want the token to stay and an overlay token able to be placed over it. That's why the layer would have to be above, and inactive so the stacking issues don't get in the way.

I hope when the Unity release comes out they've massively updated the map capabilities. In my mind, its the weakest part of an otherwise awesome platform.

That's why the layer would have to be above, and inactive so the stacking issues don't get in the way.
    Yeah, that wouldn't work. You can only interact with the top layer, you can't make it inactive and still view the layer. Not can imagecontrol events be passed from one imagecontrol to another. That's why the current extension completely disables the higher up layers (hides and can't be interacted with) when you click on a button for one of the lower down layers.

There might be some possibilities using the widget approach that Ikael used for the blood splatter extension, but I foresee lots of coding nightmares trying to keep the widget location synchronized with the token as the tokens are moved around. Using this type of approach doesn't rely on layers/additional image controls, so a proof-of-concept could be done without the enhanced image extension... I'll leave that up to you!

Thread Information