DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 21 of 44 First ... 11192021222331 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Thanks for that. What you refer to as "shade" is the FG mask: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Images#Masking. That is what was confusing me.

As the info from post #1 I quoted above mentions, masking only works on the base layer, as you can only mask an image control that contains an actual image file. Mask sensitive visibility of tokens can only work on a layer that has a mask. As the tokens are on the top layer, which does not have a mask, then they can't be made visible/invisible by the mask on the bottom layer. Hence the comment regarding manually making he tokens visible/invisible.
    OK, I get it now. So forgive me for asking, but my question now is, if the tokens on the top layer CANNOT be auto shade under the mask, and that layer is the only layer players can affect their tokens, what is the advantage of the layers? It seems now that having the layers extension installed only ADDS work to DMing since I have to manually shade/unshade each MPB token. What am I missing here?
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Explained in the first paragraph of post #1. Think of the different ways you can use tokens for more than just creatures - if you don't have layers you get very annoying token stacking issues, where you can't control,which token is on top of which. The layers get round the stacking issue and allow you to use tokens for so much more.

The layers extension isn't for everybody. If you're not using the advantages provided by the layers then the limitations/gotchas aren't worth it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Explained in the first paragraph of post #1. Think of the different ways you can use tokens for more than just creatures - if you don't have layers you get very annoying token stacking issues, where you can't control,which token is on top of which. The layers get round the stacking issue and allow you to use tokens for so much more.

The layers extension isn't for everybody. If you're not using the advantages provided by the layers then the limitations/gotchas aren't worth it.
    I guess I'm not willing to trade those benefits for the hassle of manual showing and showing individual tokens. I could SWEAR that before the last couple updates, it used to do what I want. Am I crazy? Also (maybe a big ask) but could the top and bottom layers be swapped to accomplish what I'm asking?
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

Additionally, if you think how many times you actually rely on the mask controlling token visibility, I'd imagine that you really don't use it that much. NPC tokens are usually put on the map invisible to start with, so token visibility would only come into play once you've made the tokens visible and then either changed the mask to be over the token or move the token to a masked area. It's very little extra work to manually make the token invisible for these less than common cases. But YMMV, if you thinks it's too much hassle then don't use the layers.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's always worked this way.

Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    Also (maybe a big ask) but could the top and bottom layers be swapped to accomplish what I'm asking?
    You can only mask the base map file. If that was the top layer then you wouldn't be able to see the layers below as he map file would completely hide them.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm not willing to trade those benefits for the hassle of manual showing and showing individual tokens. I could SWEAR that before the last couple updates, it used to do what I want. Am I crazy? Also (maybe a big ask) but could the top and bottom layers be swapped to accomplish what I'm asking?
    Ya, I guess I just got spoiled, I use that functionality A LOT! Maybe every session. I am constantly moving active combatants into a darkened area, and now when I do it the players are constantly saying, "you know we can still see that guy right?" If I don't use the layers, it works great. I hate to NOT use the layers becasue I do like the idea of covering words on a map with bushes that I don't want players to see, and etc.,etc. the things layers can do, but the auto hiding of the tokens is really too improtant (to me) so... DAMN! I guess I'm out. I just don't get why it USED to work and not doesn't.
    Become a Patron!
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE

I just don't get why it USED to work and not doesn't.
    It never did on the top layer.

You may be confusing the false tokens that appear on the bottom layer as guides for manipulation of the mask. These aren't the real tokens, just false tokens that are removed when you leave the bottom layer. The visibility of the actual tokens on the top layer have never been influenced by the mask.

Ya, I guess I just got spoiled, I use that functionality A LOT! Maybe every session. I am constantly moving active combatants into a darkened area, and now when I do it the players are constantly saying, "you know we can still see that guy right?" If I don't use the layers, it works great. I hate to NOT use the layers becasue I do like the idea of covering words on a map with bushes that I don't want players to see, and etc.,etc. the things layers can do, but the auto hiding of the tokens is really too improtant (to me) so... DAMN! I guess I'm out. I just don't get why it USED to work and not doesn't.
    Yeah, this has always been a limitation for me too. I keep it as I do like to add environmental tokens and things. Sometimes for basic one-shots I don't use it as it isn't needed. I've never had it work the way you're describing you thought it worked with preior versions.
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

I do like the idea of covering words on a map with bushes that I don't want players to see, and etc.,etc.
    I can see why for your usage scenario, not having the layer extension may be the best option. If you're only using it for a limited subset of tasks then I don't think it's worth the hassle.

I've only begun scratching the surface of what's possible with this extension and I can't see going back to a single layer. I use it for tracking spell effects with the 5e Spell Effects module, I also used it for changing up the map on the fly. It's encouraged me to pick up even more token sets, so that I can do things like completely change the layout of a dungeon as the group goes through it, or add objects to rooms to make for more interesting combat.

My campaign currently involves a story arc that consists of a LOT of darkness and viability effects, so tokens are being hidden and unhidden frequently, but you need only double click the token to select it in the CT and vice-versa. Likewise you can hide just the token and not the CT entry with a simple right click. Doesn't really tell the group anything they don't already know by being able to see it in the CT but not on the map.
    Last edited by Dracius; February 11th, 2017 at 00:21.

In 21 pages of this thread, this has probably been asked but anyway...

Is it possible to allow layer 2 to show pointers? For example, I want to set up a 20 ft. and 40 ft. concentric circles to indicate the effect of a light spell. I don't want them to interfere with tokens on the top layer. However, if I put pointers on layer 2, they can't be seen by players.

Thread Information