DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 13 of 44 First ... 3111213141523 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It should keep the grid OK and token assignments from encounters are moved to the top (play) layer when the encounter is activated.

I'd recommend you give it a try. Load up a new campaign with the extension, open up the module/s you're interested in and try it out. But make sure you read the gotchas in post #1 as you're trying it out.

There's also a link to a video in post #1 that gives you a good overview of the base functionality.
    I tried it last night.... very cool!

I saw that the encounters pin is on the bottom layer, the creatures are loaded from the launcher onto the top layer. This works for me. Is there a reason we don't set the pins onto the first layer or never really planned that way...it just happens. I also wanted to know if this was something the pros of Fantasy Grounds use often?.... what's your opinion on the layers?

Thanks
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    Is there a reason we don't set the pins onto the first layer or never really planned that way...it just happens.
    This is because modules aren't created using the layer extension, so pins are automatically stored on the default, single layer which is the bottom layer. This is mentioned in the "things to note" list in post #1:

Shortcuts (pushpin) that link to campaign entries can be put on any layer - but they are only active (can be selected) on that layer, even though they are viewable on the higher layers. Note: If you open an image from a module that has pushpins these will be visible across all layers but only selectable on the base layer.
    The extension can't change this as there are no FG API calls available to change the image (layer) that a shortcut (pin) is on. There is an API available to allocate the layer a token is going to be placed on (as part of the encounter token placement process) and that is why tokens from an encounter appear on the top layer.

All of the gotchas/things to note listed in post #1 are primarily due to there not being an API the extension can use to change an exception/different functionality, or the only reliable way to do something with multiple image layers.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This is because modules aren't created using the layer extension, so pins are automatically stored on the default, single layer which is the bottom layer. This is mentioned in the "things to note" list in post #1:

The extension can't change this as there are no FG API calls available to change the image (layer) that a shortcut (pin) is on. There is an API available to allocate the layer a token is going to be placed on (as part of the encounter token placement process) and that is why tokens from an encounter appear on the top layer.

All of the gotchas/things to note listed in post #1 are primarily due to there not being an API the extension can use to change an exception/different functionality, or the only reliable way to do something with multiple image layers.
    My goal for this tool is to populate the maps with the missing elements (furniture ,etc). However I don't want to do this if populating the image lags the system loading process. Also I had to re-calibrate the grid on the top layer because for some odd reason when I load the map it is not in the right position anymore. Not a big deal

Thank you sir. I do really like this extension
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

My goal for this tool is to populate the maps with the missing elements (furniture ,etc). However I don't want to do this if populating the image lags the system loading process.
    Tokens are just like any FG image file - they will need to be loaded from the GM to the players. This is true whether you use the enhanced images extension or not. So, make sure the token image files you use are file size optimized (i.e. a small file size). If there are frequent tokens you will use on the images you can put them in the <FG app data>\tokens\shared directory and these will be loaded to the players when the join your game - more uploaded/download time on initial connection, but not when you share a map with tokens as they will already be cached on the player side (as long as you populate your map from the shared tokens directory).

Also I had to re-calibrate the grid on the top layer because for some odd reason when I load the map it is not in the right position anymore. Not a big deal
    This occasionally happens and I've spent a lot of time trying to work out why - without success. Usually a quick zoom in and out with the mouse wheel fixes the grid synch.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Tokens are just like any FG image file - they will need to be loaded from the GM to the players. This is true whether you use the enhanced images extension or not. So, make sure the token image files you use are file size optimized (i.e. a small file size). If there are frequent tokens you will use on the images you can put them in the <FG app data>\tokens\shared directory and these will be loaded to the players when the join your game - more uploaded/download time on initial connection, but not when you share a map with tokens as they will already be cached on the player side (as long as you populate your map from the shared tokens directory).

This occasionally happens and I've spent a lot of time trying to work out why - without success. Usually a quick zoom in and out with the mouse wheel fixes the grid synch.
    Thanks for the help Tremloe
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

The extension doesn't pass this information, this is built in to the image control itself. If you have a lot of tokens there may be a delay in the order in which the FG image controls update token information - maybe it sends the base tokens image first and then, only after all tokens have been sent (and maybe other imagecontrol tasks have been completed) is the token rotation info sent. I don't know the exact order of imagecontrol events as this is completely controlled by FG and isn't documented. The initial "wrong orientation" you see - is this the base image itself (i.e the base image file view with no additional rotation), or some random rotation? If you wait a while does the correct rotation appear? What happens if you try re-sharing the image?
    The orientation wasn't random - so probably the base orientation. It didn't correct itself. In order to fix it, I had to mouse over every token and move them, then the client map immediately responded. I think I tried re-sharing and that didn't fix it. I'll have to double-check if there is anything else that fixes it. If it's an image control function, then it should also be layer independent - another thing to check. Is the image control link direct, or is it a message-handler type architecture at a higher level?

Another possibility is that if token drawing is first and FG is busy trying to load the image, it may be ignoring or dequeuing that part of the transaction as a consequence of other modal operations, where FG is heavily modal.
    Last edited by HoloGnome; January 20th, 2016 at 14:29.

Is there a way to speed up loading time without having to use less tokens?

What is better.... importing a map into CC3 and adding to it or using the layers extension to add furniture??

Any advice?

Thanks
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Is there a way to speed up loading time without having to use less tokens?
    See post #124 above for a couple of options regarding token sizes and pre-sharing.

What is better.... importing a map into CC3 and adding to it or using the layers extension to add furniture??
    The layer extension is primarily to allow dynamic token placement during the game, avoiding token stacking problems of having them all on the same layer. If you're happy making static furniture placement in a map image file outside of FG then that can be a good option.

Thank you so much for this extension, it is just what I needed

Just getting started with this one, seems really cool and useful.
    In the intro/tutorial video from the OP, It references the Enhanced Encounters Extension.
    I Can't seem to find that via forum search or in the pinned extensions thread.
    I've not yet actually started using it, so I don't know if it "just works" in terms of remembering where encounter tokens are placed?
    I'll be trying it shortly but I loaded it with a handful of other extensions and I'm playing around with all of it now.
    Some feedback on what to expect, or where to find the enhanced encounter extension (If it is still relevant) would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information