FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

[FEATURE REQUEST] The Strange ruleset

In The Strange, a character's Focus changes depending on which Recursion (world) they're in at the time. The Descriptor and Type do not. This part is mostly implemented very well in the ruleset via the abilities, equipment, attacks, etc.
    However, a character's focus largely dictates what Skills they are trained in and can apply adjustments to Stat Pool maximums as well. The stat pool adjustments show up more in the non-core-rulebook products.

So, I have 2 Feature Requests:
    1. Have Skills display (or not) based on the selected Recursion just as items, attacks, and abilities do currently. The lists can get pretty long as the characters world-hop and can also be confusing as to what they are trained in or not in the current Recursion.
    2. Make it so an ability can add (or subtract) from a Stat Pool's maximum and/or Edge when that ability's Recursion is selected.
    Last edited by wndrngdru; July 14th, 2021 at 02:48.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Currently, there is no community developer supporting this ruleset; so there is no plans to add enhancements at this time. We are only providing maintenance and compatibility updates.

We are open to a community developer wanting to get involved to make enhancements. For these sorts of projects, we usually ask people to submit as extensions that can be reviewed for incorporation with permission.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks. I might dig in and see what I can do.
    --
    I'm so bassic

I'm the one who implemented the recursion-switching functionality in The Strange, and separated out the base Cypher ruleset and derived Numenera and The Strange rulesets. I still have access to the source control for these rulesets and I could take a look to see how hard it would be to implement this feature request.

That would be awesome! Amazing work, btw.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Thanks, @darrenan. I didn't want to invoke your name; since it had been a couple years since you made those changes.

Regards,
    JPG

I just committed the changes for request #1 regarding skills. I did have to change the UI a bit to make room for the recursion cycler control. As a result, skills are now 2-line items in the list.

Request #2 is going to require some thought because there aren't any mechanisms in place in the ruleset to apply modifications to pools or edge in a dynamic way.

Fantastic! Thank you!
    --
    I'm so bassic

This is probably tied the base Cypher Ruleset. Let me know if you'd rather I start a new thread.

Would it be possible to disentangle the Damage Track from the stat Pools? I think the automation is really slick and I like it a lot. However, it is common for a character to take special types of damage and be moved down the damage track while still having more than 0 points in all 3 Pools. This is specifically called out in the rules as a way to make an encounter more dangerous.
    Recovery, in these cases means trading your roll for moving back up the track one slot instead of adding points to Pools.

I don't know if there's a way to make the Track clickable but still have sufficient logic to handle the normal cases of pools going up and down.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    This is probably tied the base Cypher Ruleset. Let me know if you'd rather I start a new thread.

Would it be possible to disentangle the Damage Track from the stat Pools? I think the automation is really slick and I like it a lot. However, it is common for a character to take special types of damage and be moved down the damage track while still having more than 0 points in all 3 Pools. This is specifically called out in the rules as a way to make an encounter more dangerous.
    Recovery, in these cases means trading your roll for moving back up the track one slot instead of adding points to Pools.

I don't know if there's a way to make the Track clickable but still have sufficient logic to handle the normal cases of pools going up and down.
    I don't know how hard that would be. When I get some time I'll take a look and see if that's possible. As an aside, can you give me a book and page number reference for the "This is specifically called out in the rules...." citation above? I'd like to read that section my self for context. Thanks.

Thread Information