DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 15 of 44 First ... 5131415161725 ... Last
    Thanks for this work, Trenloe! I used the original extension but kept forgetting what layer I was on! I might go ahead and re-try to use this again. Its a great extension to begin with and this addition will put it over the top for me! I purchased the spell tokens so I agree with LordEntrails. Its a great time to try it again!
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

The other issue i have is that when i put token in the fisrt bottom layer the token names appears correctly but when i put them in the upper layer they dont appear.
    Attachment 15782
    Attachment 15783

What is the easiest way to move token between layers?
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Quote Originally Posted by bnickelsen View Post
    What is the easiest way to move token between layers?
    In the current version you need to delete the token and re-add it to the correct layer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Try the attached new v2 extension. This shows the tokens from the higher layers on the currently selected layer, but it shows them as "shadows" - basically, the same as a token that is set to invisible for players.
    Trenloe - does this version fix the issues with token rotation on the client side?

Also, there is a bug where a double grid appears when the image is zoomed all the way out. If you zoom in 1 notch, the problem goes away. It doesn't look like this version addresses that problem. For example, if you apply the grid to the bottom, then switch to the top while zoomed all the way out, you will see that the grid is misaligned vs. the map grid on the top layer (but what is happening is that there is actually another set of gridlines that is offset from the main ones -- see attached image. The other attached image is after zooming in 1 notch, where the problem vanishes. Anyway - the grids on all layers do not properly align when zoomed out.
    Last edited by HoloGnome; October 24th, 2016 at 17:08.

There seems to be a misunderstanding of the implications of FG image size and FG resources used, and how the layer extension works. I'll address each item below:

Quote Originally Posted by HoloGnome View Post
    If using the layers extension, you should try to keep your maps to 500K or smaller (and more like 1-200K, if possible - the smaller the better to limit memory management issues in FG). Use .jpg compression when ripping maps and go as low as you can on quality. Even at relatively high compression factors, most .jpg maps for RPG still look OK.
    Image file size is purely an implication when transferring (sharing) images to players. FG's old network stack is not very efficient (and single threaded) so the larger the file FG has to transfer the longer it takes and the more it "chokes" up the GM instance of FG.

When FG opens an image it stores all of the pixel information in memory. The more pixels there are in an image the more memory FG will use when the image is opened. The number of pixels has nothing to do with the file size/JPG quality but the resolution of the image. Original file size does not directly impact this.

The layers extensions is going to triple the transfer to the clients, since it has 3 layers.
    This is incorrect. The layer extension only uses an image file on the bottom layer, so the image file is only transferred once to each client when initially shared.

The smaller the size of your map, the faster the transfer to clients and the less likely you will be to run afoul of memory management issues in FG.
    Correct - file size does impact transfer to clients. Incorrect - the file size does not necessarily directly impact FG memory management proportionally (i.e. a 1MB file doesn't necessarily take twice as much memory in FG as a 0.5MB file). See my comments above regarding number of pixels.

What the layer extension does impact is local memory used - FG has to create three image controls in memory, all of the same dimension (pixel size) as the original image, and even if these are blank (invisible) pixels they will be taking up memory. Essentially, an image opened with three layers will occupy three times as much memory as the same image opened with 1 layer. Adding a mask will also take up memory.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 24th, 2016 at 17:57.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

OK - I was assuming that the transfer was also 3x because of the significant image transfer slow-downs I see when using the extension, but maybe those are due to internal FG issues. I am aware of 3x the memory and, again, thought that was because of 3x the transfer. So, when I need to use the Layers extension, I have aggressively reduced map size (usually to < 200K). Sorry for any unintentional confusion on the image transfer. I have had better luck with smaller file sizes.

Hang on - from what you say, maybe my slow transfers were because I pre-masked the images. If a mask exists prior to sharing the image will it be transferred 3x or will it be cloned locally after the transfer?

Image size in memory has to be a combination of dimension and pixel depth. 1-bit < 8-bit < 24-bit, etc. Are you saying that FG creates max bit-depth bitmaps for all images regardless of the source image bit depth?
    Last edited by HoloGnome; October 24th, 2016 at 19:32.

If a mask exists prior to sharing the image will it be transferred 3x or will it be cloned locally after the transfer?
    There's only one mask - on the bottom layer. The other layers don't have masks.

Are you saying that FG creates max bit-depth bitmaps for all images regardless of the source image bit depth?
    I don't know what FG uses for colour depth in memory. From what I see the original image colour depth makes no difference to FG memory use .

Ah, right - yes only one mask. I did know that at one point. On bit depth, maybe all images are max depth.

Any thoughts on the misaligned grid issues? See above images.

Also, there is a bug where a double grid appears when the image is zoomed all the way out. If you zoom in 1 notch, the problem goes away. It doesn't look like this version addresses that problem.
    The new version purely adds token shadows on the lower levels, nothing else - no bug fixes, etc.. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post288715

Thread Information