DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 31 First ... 3456715 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitDNC View Post
    Lastly, I've been interpreting "craftmanship" on items as the number of "mod slots" an item has. There also doesn't seem to be any automatic updates regarding soak values and encumbrance so I've been adjusting those manually & adding benign inventory entries to track max encumbrance threshold vs. current inventory encumbrance since the ruleset is not doing it automatically.
    Added to the further development list in post #1.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

OggDude's character generator does actually include weapon/item stats and seeing as it has been sitting undisturbed over on FFG's official forums, I'd have to imagine that it is perfectly okay to at least have all of that listed in the in-game library. I use it as a base guideline for what FFG considers covered by copyright.
    Looking at OggDude's character generator it only has the base stats, there are no descriptions for any of the items - they all say "Please see page XXX of the Core Rulebook for details."

As I mentioned above, game mechanics can't be covered by copyright, but any "literary, artistic or musical" content is. Basically, this means that any text is covered by copyright - in this case the item/skill/talent etc. descriptions are protected by copyright.

Therefore, items and skill names and their stats (game mechanics) can be put in a module and distributed. If descriptions are to be included they have to be your own text that is sufficiently different from the text presented in the copyright protected material.

The main grey are in all of this is the stats for NPCs and Starships. I'd say that a company could argue that these are literary/artistic material as each individual has been "created". There is a precedent for this - when the OGL was originally released by Wizards of the Coast they specifically didn't include a few iconic creatures, for example: Beholder, Carrion Crawler, Displacer Beast, Umber Hulk, Githyanki, Githzerai, Slaad (all types) and Mind Flayer. So, as these are specifically not included in the OGL they are covered by copyright, indicating that creature statistics are covered by copyright.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Right - I'm in 100% agreement with all of that and will always suggest to err on the side of caution when it comes to copyright stuff (reading everything on the first few pages of the character generator thread, you might want to double-check that having the Edge of the Empire logo in the chatbox on loading is allowed). https://community.fantasyflightgames...ter-generator/

Oggdude actually used to have all of the flavour text describing skills and items, but removed it early on & replaced it with all of the "see page *number*" directions instead. The app has been up on the main Edge of the Empire forums since August last year & even has their "Popular thread" badge, and so far as can tell, FFG has not had an issue with it. Being that it contains ship/vehicle stats in it but not the flavour text for them, I can only ~assume~ that those are fair use - you still require the book to see what exactly the ship is and how it fits into the game.

On the other hand, character sheets in whole as created by FFG......I'd think they would almost-certainly be off-limits for public distribution since they are associated with an actual backstory that they took the time to write & generate art for.

That said, I was just wondering if I could drag something onto a character sheet (from the Library), edit it while it is on the character sheet, and then drag it back into the Library to save for later. The reason I ask is because the Library list is not complete (it's very empty in fact) and entries don't even have a "see page *number" tag on them at the moment so that I can flip to their page quickly. I can add all of it myself while editing the .XML, but that seems like it'd be a waste when the in-game Library already has its windows organised and would be easier to modify than a giant wall of text that includes everything (the .XML file).
    Last edited by MoonlitDNC; May 15th, 2014 at 22:36.

That said, I was just wondering if I could drag something onto a character sheet (from the Library), edit it while it is on the character sheet, and then drag it back into the Library to save for later. The reason I ask is because the Library list is not complete (it's very empty in fact) and entries don't even have a "see page *number" tag on them at the moment so that I can flip to their page quickly.
    Library modules are read only within Fantasy Grounds, you'd have to edit the underlying XML to change the entry in the library. If you want to edit an item for use within a campaign you can drag the item to the campaign"Items" list (the R2 icon in the desktop sidebar) and edit it there - then you can drag the edited item to PCs/NPCs.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 15th, 2014 at 22:43.

Very interesting.....it seems that when I move an item from the Library into the Item List, the campaign's db.xml file generates an entry for that item that looks almost exactly like what can be found in the Library's .XML files.

Thusly, I'll bet that if I create a unique item entry from scratch within the item list, the text it generates should be able to be copied from my campaign folder & into the Library's module file without needing to change too much of its formatting.

In that way, I can easily churn out items that are missing (for now - will have to see if abilities & skills work the same way later) and copy them back into the Library module for use across other campaign sessions. It's not as easy as saving new stuff to the Library while in-game, but at least in this way all of the XML code is pre-formatted for me to work with.

Very interesting.....it seems that when I move an item from the Library into the Item List, the campaign's db.xml file generates an entry for that item that looks almost exactly like what can be found in the Library's .XML files.

Thusly, I'll bet that if I create a unique item entry from scratch within the item list, the text it generates should be able to be copied from my campaign folder & into the Library's module file without needing to change too much of its formatting.
    Yeah, that is generally the way library and campaign entries work. As the objects are draggable between areas (library, campaign list, PC, NPC) it is best design to keep the format the same all the way through.

The one thing you will have to code yourself in the library XML is the lists - but these should just be a matter of copy/paste and renaming.

New query - the Fantasy Grounds wiki page for "Options" lists a TON of different features, but none of them seem to be available in the EotE ruleset.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options

Is there something I'm missing to turn them on, is there a way I can enable them myself with an XML file, or do I totally have to wait & hope a future EotE update includes stuff like auto-scaling tokens?
    Last edited by MoonlitDNC; May 16th, 2014 at 07:21.

They would need to be added to the ruleset by one of the community devs. The EotE ruleset is maintained by the community, which is why it is free to download. Try sending a note to original dev.

Cheers,
    JPG

New query - the Fantasy Grounds wiki page for "Options" lists a TON of different features, but none of them seem to be available in the EotE ruleset.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options

Is there something I'm missing to turn them on, is there a way I can enable them myself with an XML file, or do I totally have to wait & hope a future EotE update includes stuff like auto-scaling tokens?
    The base CoreRPG ruleset was released with FG 3.0, which was after the Star Wars: EotE ruleset was developed. Before the release of CoreRPG, each ruleset had to be coded individually and new functionality added in on a ruleset by ruleset basis. FG 3.0 CoreRPG brought some new functionality with it, but this functionality would need to be manually ported over to the EotE ruleset.

In the long run the best thing would be to take a step back and migrate the EotE ruleset to work on top of CoreRPG. However, this would be a monumental task and the way the EotE ruleset is quite different (mainly the dice mechanic) there is no guarantee that future CoreRPG functionality would mesh easily with the EotE ruleset.

As I have further development I'd like to do on the EotE ruleset to add EotE specific functionality and make it better for EotE games I plan to concentrate on that, rather than spend a few months migrating this ruleset to layer it on top of CoreRPG.

There are some new features in CoreRPG that are nice. Take the auto scaling of tokens for example - this is really a "nice to have" for EotE for the following reasons:
    1. The GM can scale tokens themselves once they are on the map. Hover over the token and use CTRL+mousewheel to scale the tokens.
    2. The CoreRPG token scaling relies on there being a grid added to the map. With the EotE freeform ranges and movement grids don't really work that well. You can use a grid to give an idea of what is short, medium, long, etc.. but this would be bigger than usual grids and then if there was token auto scaling the tokens would scale to be very large, so auto scaling then wouldn't be that much use.

As mentioned above, at the moment I am concentrating development on getting EotE specific functionality working. Yes, there are some "nice" things in CoreRPG and perhaps these can be added in the future. For what is currently being looked at for development check the bottom of post #1 in this thread.

Session video

I took a video of a session I ran recently - 2.5 hours.

This is the first time I took a video of a session and didn't really think about a few things: the size of my screen, the positioning of the combat tracker, dicebook viewer, etc.. As a result, this video won't be great for people with a small screen. For those with a small screen, you might want to play the video at full resolution and move the video player around so you can see sections of the FG desktop in detail.

I recommend you download the video (I tried setting it up for streaming, but the quality was terrible) - right-click and select "save as" (or whatever is the similar action in your browser):

Link to the video.

A few items of note:
    1. Crawl Intro is available here (play it full screen and pump up the volume!): https://starwars.com/play/online-act...?cs=fnedu7e9r5
    2. First combat starts at 14:00 (when the encounter interaction begins). I start putting the NPCs in the combat tracker at 14:30, NPC init gets rolled at 20:20, players roll at 23:30.
    3. Vehicle (ship) combat begins at 2:02:30.

Thread Information