DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Thread: GUMSHOE Ruleset

I'd forgotten that it was covered by an OGL SRD now. That material would be useful to include.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Ok,

Never having had to make a library module from scratch before, I have made a start to cover the OGL.

Am I on the right track here? Or have I made a hash already.

I think that once I have one record working I will be able to replicate it to complete the OGL library.

Cheers,

Alp

Quote Originally Posted by alp View Post
    Am I on the right track here? Or have I made a hash already.
    Change base.xml to definition.xml - zip it up, rename to .mod and give it a go!

Looks alight so far...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

A quick update with progress to date. I still need to work out how to link one entry from another on the rhs of the library, so I can imbed records within records following a tree structure, but it seems to work. I have noticed that you can't drag and drop to a character sheet, but I think that is more to do with the ruleset scripts which just baffle me atm.
    I still want to see if I can make extensions for the Gumshoe games that I play to reskin the ruleset, but that is a long way ahead. My overall aim is to be able to load one gumshoe ruleset using an extension to modify it to the setting the game will take place in. I do have to say that my graphics skills are at 0% so do not expect anything great, especially as I will have to teach myself how to write extension files.
    Any advise or criticism is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alp

Extensions aren't that bad to code, especially as you can build them unzipped in the extensions folder (that has been very useful, since I was given that little tip). Basically, anything that would be added to (or changed in) the ruleset needs to go in to the extension.xml, in the same way that it would go in to the base.xml of a ruleset.

Drag/drop functionality isn't going to be that difficult to put in, once library references are around. The simplest is to place a link object on to a list item that accepts drops of a particular windowclass type (e.g. notes / reference item). My latest version of The One Ring ruleset has examples of this.
    Last edited by Valarian; March 6th, 2014 at 08:33.

I am still plodding away at the OGL library, but have a question. Probably one of several.

How do you make the RHS pane show sub categories, which can the branch into entries? Like a full tree structure. I had thought about replicating the category code / link mechanism, but can not see how this would work in practice.

Also how do you link an image, or different library entry into an entry?

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Thanks for any help that you can give me,

Alp

Sorry, another question.

If you create directories in the library for each chapter (LHS pane) could you call all xml files in the directory into the core book file. ie;

This way each 'entry' could have a discreet xml file, meaning it would be easier to find and correct / modify, and those not sure on xml could follow a simple template to write their own entries.

I hope you can see what I mean by this, and can give me a positive answer, else my client.xml file will be very long, and debug.

Also, is there a way to use http links to call an external website in a browser to link to the internet.

I seem to be a mine of bugging questions today, sorry.

Cheers,

Alp

Would be easier to show you. What's your time zone? I could run a hangout through Google+ and share screens. I could then take you through some of the library modules I've created for my own use.

I don't think you can have separate XML files, but you can link and have sub-sheets pop up. There's a library structure, using reference XML templates set up in the ruleset. I think it is possible to link images, but I've not done this myself.

Thanks for the responses guys,

Still learning so bear with me.

(Valarian)
    I am Isle of Man so gmt, only a couple on hundred miles NW of you so any time today is good, else monday or thursday night.

Cheers,

Alp

Thread Information