DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Help- Where do I put the XML files et al generated by 4e Parser

I'm new to FG and using valeros' 4e item parser, I've created a module folder for 4e Races, it was the smallest group I could find and I'm just trying to make it work, I used 4eParser_2013_1116.zip

So I have a bunch of folders now in 4eparser folder on my desktop-

4e Races (File Folder)- which contains 3 other files (db.xml, definition.xml & thumbnail.png)
    4e Races 55 Entries 2013_1125 (Text File)
    4e Races (VLC file)

Simply put- what do I do with them?

I read that I should put them into Fantasy Grounds directory but I went to my C drive/programs et al and did that, however I was a little unsure as there's no folder in this directory for modules, or indeed for anything else...

I booted up Fantasy Grounds and looked in the Library- the demo folders were in there, so I searched for those on my C Drive and found only short cuts- no actual file with the same name...

I apologise but I have no idea what I am doing, if I have explained some of the above badly then again I apologise but I do not have the technical knowledge to employ the right jargon.

Any help gratefully received as FG at the moment is a non-starter for me, even after spending the last three days off and on watching tutorial videos; I get how it works, I just don't understand how I make it work.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Goonalan. I'm not sure what a VLC file is, but that is probably the FG module. Do you have file extensions turned on? Typically they are turned off by default. To make sure that VLC file is your module, first turn on file extensions and check that VLC file ends in ".mod". Here's a step by step to turn on file extensions that should work in most versions of Windows:

Start Windows Explorer by pressing the start button -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer. Note: If you have Windows 7 you can just press the file folder on the task bar.
    If you have Vista or Windows 7 press the Alt key to display the menu bar on Windows Explorer. Older versions of Windows display this menu bar by default.
    Click the Tools menu and select Folder Options… A folder options window should pop up.
    Click the View tab in the Folder Options pop up.
    In the Advanced Settings section of the pop up, Uncheck – “Hide extensions for known file types”
    Press the OK button to confirm your change.

Now take a look at that VLC file and make sure it ends in .mod - if it does that is your FG module the parser made for you.

Once you have make sure you have the FG module then you need to put it into FG's data apps modules folder. Data apps folders are considered a system folder and are hidden by default which is why you probably had problems finding it.

Fortunately, when you installed FG they made a short cut to the folder. To find it press the Start button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder. This will pop up FG's data app folder. You should see some folders, one of which will be the modules folder. Copy your .mod file into the modules folder and then start FG and activate the module and you should be good to go.

Got it.

Superb, thanks.

It all seems to be working... I'll report back when it's all done- just doing the Powers now.

Cheers goonalan

Glad you got it working.

All done, thanks again- and working fine, now onto the next problem- how to import tokens?

The tokens that come with FG now are in modules so a tokens folder is not automatically made anymore I think. Create a tokens folder (note the plural) in FG's data app folder. Next create two folders inside the tokens folder called host and shared. Tokens you want players to see and be able to place should go in shared, ie horses, mules, AOE markers, etc. Tokens only the GM can/should see until placed go in host, usually monsters. Until FG 3 comes out it is best if your tokens are all to a common scale and it certainly won't hurt to have them a common scale when FG 3 is released.

Thread Information