5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Guide: Fix FGII v3 Open Folder Buttons in Wine

*** NOTE YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS IF YOU INSTALLED FROM STEAM ***

If you use Wine to run FGII and update to FGII v3 you may find that the new 'open folder' buttons either do not work or open a file browser pointing to the wrong folders.

I have managed to get all but one of the new 'open folder' buttons to work in Wine so that they open in the operating systems native file system browser, for me that is Finder on the Mac.

FIXED
    Images and Maps - Folder button
    Tokens - GM button
    Tokens - Shared button

NOT FIXED
    Launch Screen - Open data folder button

To fix you will need to edit the Wine registry. As I created my Wine wrapper using Wineskin Winery on the Mac I did the following:

1. In Finder right click on you FGII wrapper [mine is called FGII 3.0 Test.app]
    2. Select 'Show Package Contents' from the popup menu
    3. Launch the Wineskin.app from the list of files now showing
    4. The Wineskin.app menu will be displayed, select Advanced
    5. The 'Wineskin Advanced' window will be displayed, select the Tools tab
    6. Now click on the 'Registry Editor (regedit)' button
    7. In the registry editor locate the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> folder -> shell -> open
    8. right click on the key open and select New -> Key
    9. Rename key you just created to command
    10. Select the command key and double click on the key field in the right panel
    11. Chance the 'Value data' text box to C:\windows\system32\winebrowser.exe "%1"
    12. Click OK. Your changes will be auto saved.
    13. Close the registry editor and the Wineskin Advanced window, then launch FGII

If you create your Wine wrapper either directly from Wine or using something other then Wineskin Winery then steps 1-6 will be different but so long as you use Wine's registry editor the remaining steps should be identical.
    Last edited by GMTroll; July 2nd, 2014 at 08:23.

Blog Entries
    I stickied the post. Thanks.

Couldn't this be handled by the FG installer/updater?

The registry settings for opening files and folders would apply across the entire operating system, so the installer would have to be able to determine that it is running in a Wine instance before it made any changes. Unfortunately, if the installer is not correct in its assessment, it could mess up people's operating systems that run Windows. I think the risk may be too great on this one.

JPG

Having some trouble with this. My fantasy grounds is a steam version and so when I first installed. Steam chose the location and handled all the wine skin stuff. I can't seem to find the wineskin.app in order to follow the instructions detailed above. What am I doing wrong and can someone please point me in the right direction?? I'm on mac osx by the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noelyuk View Post
    Having some trouble with this. My fantasy grounds is a steam version and so when I first installed. Steam chose the location and handled all the wine skin stuff. I can't seem to find the wineskin.app in order to follow the instructions detailed above. What am I doing wrong and can someone please point me in the right direction?? I'm on mac osx by the way.
    The version from Steam can get you to the proper location if first enter your campaign (any 3.5E campaign will work) and then click on the "folders" button on the images & maps window. This will take you directly to the {FG root data folder}\campaigns\{your campaign you chose}\images folder. You can navigate up from there to access places likes {FG root data folder}\rulesets or portraits.

Excellent, seems ddavison and drzeus have worked this into the Mac version on Steam.

I have updated the original post to make it clear that you do not need to do this with the Steam installed version.

I still have not be able to find any way to get the 'Open Data Folder' button to work on the FG Launcher screen.

Should any Steam users wish to tweak the Wineskin setting (at your own peril) the default location the FantasyGrounds.app is installed to is:

/Users/{your user name}/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app

You then right click on the FantasyGrounds.app and select Show Package Contents and you will see the Wineskin.app.

Blog Entries
    GMTroll - we got the Launcher folder button to work under Wine by ensuring the Wineskin wrapper enforced mapping of the users's home drive - its an option under the Wineskin Configuration under Advanced. I think I mapped the F: or H: drive (can't remember which now) so on my Mac it maps to /Users/zeph.

I then set my FG Data path under the FG settings to something like: F:Library/Application Support/FantasyGrounds

After which you should find that the Launcher Data folder button will work again. In essence you just need to ensure the Wineskin wrapper has a path to the user home folder.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Zeus - thanks for the info. I have mapped a drive, F:, pointing to /Users/{username}. I have changed the data path in the FG settings to the correct folder. Not sure what I am missing or doing wrong but I still cannot get it to work. When running a test from the Wineskin.app the logs show these errors

Code:
    err:winebrowser:wmain Failed to parse URL
    The file /Users/{username}/Applications/wineskin/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Fantasy Grounds/F:\Library\Application Support\Fantasy Grounds" does not exist.
    I also tried to so the same in the Steam version but get the same result.

Blog Entries
    I just double checked mine, its the H: drive not the F:, my bad.

For the Steam Wine wrapper, we are using WineSkin 2.6.0 with Wine Engine 1.4.1.

Open WineSkin.app inside the FantasyGrounds.app wine wrapper. Click on Advanced and then the Options Tab. Make sure the 'Map User Mac OSX folders in wrapper' option is checked and click the Modify Mappings button to confirm that you have mappings to $HOME. If you haven't add them in and Save.

Now fire up FG, (for the Steam version, you'll need to first Launch Steam). When the launcher appears click settings. When the FG Settings dialog opens, set your FG data path to:

H:\Library\Application Support\Fantasy Grounds - or to wherever your app data path is located (for this to work though it must be located under your user home folder somewhere)

H: should map to your /Users/<username> folder

FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information