STAR TREK 2d20

Savage Rules Question for the Experts

When dealing damage, on a raise a wound is applied. I am assuming that the character is shaken as well when they take a wound (i.e. both Shaken and Wounded).
    Drat. Not Again.

yes

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Yes but it's a bit more complicate than that (well not really complicated once you get your head round it but it can be confusing at the start)

Let's have an example:

Mr PC
    Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirt d6, Strength d10, Vigor d6
    Skills: Fighting d10, Intimidation d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Throwing d6
    Parry: 7 Toughness: 9 (3)
    Great Sword Str+d10; Parry -1; 2-hands
    Brawny, Sweep
    Orc:
    Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirt d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
    SKills: Fighting d6, Intimidation d8, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Stealth d6, Throwing d6
    Parry 5, Toughness 8 (1)
    Scimitar Str+d8

So the Orc is trying to ambush the PC he is hidden (stealth roll of 7), the PC is walking down the corridor and passes within 1" of the orc and gets to make a notice roll, he gets an '8' which means at the last second before the orc attacks with surprise and gets the drop (+4 to hit, +4 damage) the warrior detects him and combat starts normally.

The Orc is dealt the 10 of clubs which beats the PC's 5 of hearts.

The orc swings with the scimitar getting a 3, the PC blocks the attack easily.
    The PC rolls a 5 which hits the orc but does not get a raise, so the damage is 2d10 (str+d10) the roll is an 8, this equals the orcs toughness so it shakes the orc.

The PC wins inititive and hits again and this time rolls a 9 for damage, this shakes the orc again, who as it is already shaken takes a wound instead and
    goes down.

Before the PC can celebrate 3 more orcs appear and attack!

The first orc hits with a raise (roll of 11) and so he rolls 2d8+1d6 for damage, the result is 9 shaking the PC.

The second orc hits and rolls 13 damage.

The PC is shaken already so being shaken again wounds him, the raise is therefore ignored as one raise only causes one wound. If the PC had not been shaken then the result would have been the same Shaken and one wound.

The PC spends a benny but fails to soak the damage, leaving him wounded and shaken.

The third orc also hits with a raise (11 again) so the same 2d8+1d6 is rolled for damage this roll is 17 points of damage! After removing toughness this leaves 8 points of damage two raises.

The PC is shaken but as he is already shaking this would be a wound, the first raise would cause a wound but as before this is not applied as one wound has been dealt, the second raise causes a second wound.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Having typed all that up I realised I could simplify it:

Damage is equal to toughness or 1-3 points above and target is not Shaken - Shake's target
    Damage is equal to toughness or 1-3 points above and target is Shaken - Causes One Wound

The rest are the same if target is shaken or not:
    Damage is 4-7 points above toughness - Shake's target and inflicts one wound.
    Damage is 8-11 points above toughness - Shake's target and inflicts two wounds.
    Damage is 12-15 points above toughness - Shake's target and inflicts three wounds.
    Damage is 16+ points above toughness - Shake's target and incapacitates target.

Basically being Shaken only matters if the damage roll does not get a raise, regardless if you are shaken or not, each raise causes one additional point of damage, the important thing to note is that to inflict two wounds you must have two raises.

Hope that helps
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Not quite as deepest, darkest Wales as before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    Having typed all that up I realised I could simplify it:

Damage is equal to toughness or 1-3 points above and target is not Shaken - Shake's target
    Damage is equal to toughness or 1-3 points above and target is Shaken - Causes One Wound

The rest are the same if target is shaken or not:
    Damage is 4-7 points above toughness - Shake's target and inflicts one wound.
    Damage is 8-11 points above toughness - Shake's target and inflicts two wounds.
    Damage is 12-15 points above toughness - Shake's target and inflicts three wounds.
    Damage is 16+ points above toughness - Shake's target and incapacitates target.

Basically being Shaken only matters if the damage roll does not get a raise, regardless if you are shaken or not, each raise causes one additional point of damage, the important thing to note is that to inflict two wounds you must have two raises.

Hope that helps
    To aid matters further, I've constructed a simple Excel spreadsheet that covers Toughness to 20 and Damage to 36 ; see attached Dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixu2ql2x8l...esolution.xlsx
    Time Zone: GMT

Preferred Systems: Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu

Currently Running:
    - Savage Worlds (Deadlands Noir) Campaign

Currently Playing:
    - Savage Worlds (Realms of Cthulhu) Campaign
    - Savage Worlds (Supers) Campaign
    - Savage Worlds (50 Fathoms) Campaign

Planned:
    - Savage Worlds - Space 1889

shaken on shaken is a wound,

but never more than one wound per raise, no matter what.

Thanks all. This does help. I had put together a flowchart of this and will try to update it to reflect this helpful feedback. I was missing the "Shaken & Wound" and was ending up with wounded characters that were not shaken!

Heyhogan
    Drat. Not Again.

Thread Information