STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Questions about modifiers

I have a few questions about the 3.4 modifiers.

#1. There is a little checkbox off the the right on the GM screen. I was thinking that this would control if the modifier was available to a player or visibility to the player, but when I tested, the player window shows all of the modifiers and can use them regardless of the state of the tick. What is the purpose?

#2. Is there a limit to how many modifiers can be in the "stack"? In other words, can I pick Aim +2, Long Range -4, Moving -3, etc. or can do I need pick up to "x" of them?

#3. Is there a way to drag and drop modifiers (or effects)? I want to transfer my modifiers from campaign A to Campaign B. If I have to copy a file from one campaign folder to another, (sort of a hack I know) I would still like to do this as I want to create 15-20 standard modifiers.

Thanks in advance!
    Drat. Not Again.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhogan View Post
    #3. Is there a way to drag and drop modifiers (or effects)? I want to transfer my modifiers from campaign A to Campaign B. If I have to copy a file from one campaign folder to another, (sort of a hack I know) I would still like to do this as I want to create 15-20 standard modifiers.
    The easiest way to do this is perhaps to make a module of the modifiers you frequently use and want to move between campaigns. This is a manual process - as the /export command does not support modifiers. You can either make the modifiers in a campaign then manually copy/paste the <modifier> XML text into a module, or manually create the XML in a module.

The attached is a basic modifier's module that needs to be unzipped and the /mod file put in the \modules folder, then this can be activated in the module activation portion of the library - the module is called "Savage Worlds Modifiers Module":

Attachment 5154

Unzip the above "SW Modifiers.zip" to your FG \modules directory. This module (SW Modifiers.mod) has been setup as "common" so it allows sharing with the players if you force load the module so that the players download it when they join your game.

You can modify this module to change the 2 example modifiers and to add more. Within the module is a common.xml file which holds the modifier records, this is what is current within the module:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <root version="2.9" release="3.4">
    	<modifier idcounter="3">
    		<id-00001>
    			<adjustment type="number">1</adjustment>
    			<name type="string">Test Modifier - Check</name>
    			<shared type="number">1</shared>
    		</id-00001>
    		<id-00002>
    			<adjustment type="number">-1</adjustment>
    			<name type="string">Modifier +2 - unchecked</name>
    			<shared type="number">0</shared>
    		</id-00002>
    	</modifier>
    </root>
    Copy/paste the <id-00001> to </id-00001> entry and paste this after </id-00002> and before </modifier>, change the <id-00001> and </id-00001> tags to <id-00003> and </id-00003>, and change the <name> and <adjustment> tag values to be what you want in your modifier. Put the modified common.xml file back in the module and reload FG to see any changes in the module.

This module can then be activated in any campaign you want to use the modifiers in - you can still add modifiers specific to the campaign in the modifiers window.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe - That was what I was looking for. I figured it might be manual, but that is OK. You have given me enough info to run with it! Thanks!
    Drat. Not Again.

I've always found it odd that the premium rulesets don't populate a set of these as a default. Maybe someday I'll have the wherewithal to create a module with all of the SW combat modifiers in it.

On my todo list is the phrase "Modifiers - do they still even work properly ?" - so yeah, these need some love.

I think I had the SW modifiers module Trenloe posted (above) lying around, so muddle by with that.

(also we generally use the old trick of typing "/mod 2 marksman" and dragging into onto hotkeys, so each player can set up their own player-specific modifier hotkeys)
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heyhogan View Post
    Thanks Trenloe - That was what I was looking for. I figured it might be manual, but that is OK. You have given me enough info to run with it! Thanks!
    Are you going to post the complete file once it's done? Should be a very decent help for others (me at least ;-))...

phantomwhale:

Thanks for the note about the old trick, it is now a new trick for me! The basic Modifier behavior is OK, but the tick mark appears to be eye candy right now. No big deal to me, but maybe something for the B or C list of fixes.

I will muck around with the new Modifier Module and get friendly with XML and Notepad ++ again. If the results are satisfactory, I will attach the file here!

heyhogan
    Drat. Not Again.

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    Are you going to post the complete file once it's done? Should be a very decent help for others (me at least ;-))...
    Search the forums for posts by me I posted the code ages ago
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

In fact here you go....

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ll=1#post88481

Page two of the thread has the module PW made
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

One of the SW moderators needs to make a sticky thread which contains a list of modules with a link to their respective threads/downloads. Something similar to this that the 3.5e/Pathfinder forum has: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information