FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: First Time GM

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Yes there is. Type /export in the chat window and this brings up a window allowing you to export portions of your campaign into a module - this is how most commercial FG adventures are created.

Yep, there certainly would be copyright issues. You can't distribute any material covered by copyright without breaking copyright laws if you don't have permission from the copyright holders. Everything in Escape from Innsmouth is covered by copyright so I'm afraid you can't distribute it without agreement from the Chaosium. Fantasy Grounds have a commercial agreement with Chaosium so perhaps you many be able to do a full conversion of Escape from Innsmouth and distribute it as a commercial product through Fantasy Grounds? Mote info on this here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tures-rulesets
    Okay, I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

EDIT: Sheesh. They really should add a clause to allow custom adventures to be distributed freely under the assumption that the creator will receive no commercial compensation from his/her creation. Doing it the way it's currently being done means that all users of FG will be shelling out large amounts of cash for the rest of their lives if they don't want to create their own adventures.
    Last edited by PyroHiroshi; September 28th, 2013 at 08:07.

It's not our call to make. It's completely up to the copyright holders to provide those clauses you mention. (Like OGL)

At least Chaosium is open to repackaging content for sale on other platforms; so there is at least an option, even if it is paid. Other bigger game companies don't allow any third party distribution, which is worse.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by PyroHiroshi View Post
    They really should add a clause to allow custom adventures to be distributed freely under the assumption that the creator will receive no commercial compensation from his/her creation. Doing it the way it's currently being done means that all users of FG will be shelling out large amounts of cash for the rest of their lives if they don't want to create their own adventures.
    As JPG says, it is not FG that makes this call - it is the relevant copyright holders of the products in question.

If you make your own custom adventure that contains no text, images or maps covered by copyright (i.e. everything is your own work and you're not taking "stuff" from other people's work that is not covered by something like the open gaming license) then you can create a module and distribute it for free if you like.

This is not something unique to Fantasy Grounds or the gaming industry - it is standard copyright laws: if something is released under copyright then you cannot reproduce and distribute any portion of it in any form without the permission of the copyright owner. It doesn't matter if you are doing it for free - it is still breaking copyright laws.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    As JPG says, it is not FG that makes this call - it is the relevant copyright holders of the products in question.

If you make your own custom adventure that contains no text, images or maps covered by copyright (i.e. everything is your own work and you're not taking "stuff" from other people's work that is not covered by something like the open gaming license) then you can create a module and distribute it for free if you like.

This is not something unique to Fantasy Grounds or the gaming industry - it is standard copyright laws: if something is released under copyright then you cannot reproduce and distribute any portion of it in any form without the permission of the copyright owner. It doesn't matter if you are doing it for free - it is still breaking copyright laws.
    But the ruleset is still copyrighted? So if I'm distributing something for a specific ruleset won't copyright apply to it as well? Or because I wouldn't be distributing the ruleset itself it would be fine?

Correct, since you are not distributing the ruleset you are fine as long as you distribute only the stuff you have copyright on or permission to use.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroHiroshi View Post
    But the ruleset is still copyrighted? So if I'm distributing something for a specific ruleset won't copyright apply to it as well? Or because I wouldn't be distributing the ruleset itself it would be fine?
    As Griogre says - you are not distributing the ruleset so the copyright for the ruleset does not come into play. But, if you use something from that ruleset that is covered by copyright, for example an NPC, then that would be covered by copyright.

You need to know if the material you are distributing is copyright or not. If the material is purely something you have created then you can distribute that material *only* as you see fit. If you are using other people's material then you need their permission or check their distribution rights - even stuff you find on the internet for free is more than likely copyright material.

See the later posts in this thread for more info on copyright: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-couple-tokens
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

These forums are really quiet.

PS. My Escape from Innsmouth conversion is taking forever but it's coming along. All text content and images have be loaded. Character conversions are complete except for weapons and descriptions. Just making things look nice and putting in links now. Then weapons and descriptions and a play test and I'm done.

Thread Information