FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... Last

CnC v3.0 testing

About a week and a half ago, I took the work that Dr_Venture and SFerguson had done so far, and I ported it over to the new v3.0 layered rulesets platform. I did it in semi-secret fashion, because I wasn't sure how long it would take or whether I would have the time to get it going before Gencon.

As part of the transition, I was able to preserve most of the already implemented enhancements in addition to adding a lot of functionality built up from the new CoreRPG base ruleset layer.

If you would like to test out this new version, it is available via updating while in Dev mode specified in the FG Settings page. Make sure to read the note on v3.0 testing in the forums, and to back up your FG data folder before updating and using the new version since it is currently in alpha testing.

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Can I use this for a live game? If we do that I guess everyone needs to be in Dev mode?
    My group have been using the beta for quite a few months.

Blog Entries
    How would this affect other, non-C&C content I have (3.5e/PF/RMC)?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    How would this affect other, non-C&C content I have (3.5e/PF/RMC)?
    It shouldn't - it'll be a ruleset just like other 3.x rulesets, built on top of CoreRPG but a ruleset all the same.

If you're talking about moving to 3.x test in general then refer to this thread for more info: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-0-%28alpha%29

And *backup any data before you try anything*.
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 15th, 2013 at 17:11.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So, how do I get this ruleset to test? I switched to dev and it updated a bunch of stuff, but my C&C ruleset is still at 2.0.

Make you've updated your User ID and password in the FG settings window (press the "Update" button) then it should download from the FG store what rulesets you have. Then run the update again.

You may need to delete the old .pak file (make a backup first) before running the update.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Make you've updated your User ID and password in the FG settings window (press the "Update" button) then it should download from the FG store what rulesets you have. Then run the update again.

You may need to delete the old .pak file (make a backup first) before running the update.
    OK, that worked. Now I'm getting errors when trying to open my C&C Player's Handbook and the Monsters & Treasures book, but I can at least do some testing now.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Can I use this for a live game? If we do that I guess everyone needs to be in Dev mode?
    My group have been using the beta for quite a few months.
    Damned: beware that this new ruleset is not backwards compatible to the previous 3.0 beta builds of the C&C ruleset - it is only backwards compatible with the currently released 2.0 ruleset. That's great news for the vast majority of users, but for us beta testers/users, it means we need to rebuild any current beta campaigns into the new system.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Yeah, sorry about the extra work for the beta testers. I was having a hard time reconciling the current release ruleset with the previous beta build and make it have the best backward compatibility.

I may be able to fine-tune the version migration code if I have more details.

BTW, we are at Gencon this weekend, so I'm limited to responding to forums in the evening.

Regards,
    JPG

Here is a bug report / fix for you:

The party sheet is not calculating the value of items when you try to sell them. It always says that the "cost" is zero. The code in CoreRPG is using a db value of "cost" while in campaign/record_item.xml for C&C it's called "value". I renamed "value" to "cost" and everything started working.

Thread Information