STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by XpressO View Post
    Just stating the obvious here but I would recommend you just take a backup of your appdata folder and then try the Test or Dev version. This way your stuff is safe. Downgrading is just as easy as trying the other versions.

NOTE: I've been informed that the current alpha doesn't downgrade as it should so I would use caution. But normally it's just as easy as clicking a button
    I believe backing up your app data folder will fix the 'current' issue with 'downgrading' back to the current release. Or at least it worked for me, however it could also be that Moon already fixed that issue.

Regarding the "run in test mode" discussion above...

This is fine - do it if you like doing this: getting early access to new features and helping out with community testing. What I would ask is that if you run into an issue, check if the issue is in the current "live" product to determine where you should be posting your problem on the forums - post in the laboratory if you are using the test version.

Over they years I have spent many hours troubleshooting people's issues without it being clear that they were actually running in "test" mode, not "live" where the issue didn't occur and I spent a lot of time try to recreate to help identify the issue.

So - if using "test", post issues in the laboratory thread and always be clear that you are using "test". If you like switching between "live" and "test" please double check which mode you are in when posting regarding issues.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    So - if using "test", post issues in the laboratory thread and always be clear that you are using "test". If you like switching between "live" and "test" please double check which mode you are in when posting regarding issues.
    Addendum: Even if you are absolutely sure you have the most up to date version, please post your version number in the post regarding your issue (I am guilty of not doing this as well, and FG does not typically update the version numbers in test mode). The thing is updates have been known to get released shortly after someone has posted a bug, and things have gotten VERY confusing from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The settings that you see in the "Settings" window are stored in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0. So, you would need to:
    <snip>
    Works great, if anyone was wondering. A bit of a hassle, but less than other work-arounds.

Workaround needed, since I can't connect a 2.9.4 client to a 3.0.0 server.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post

Workaround needed, since I can't connect a 2.9.4 client to a 3.0.0 server.
    And vice-versa, a 3.0.0 client will not connect to a 2.9.4 server.

I put 3.0.0 on my laptop to take a look...and cannot connect my laptop to my desktop.

TIBTK

Quote Originally Posted by Kapkomm1 View Post
    And vice-versa, a 3.0.0 client will not connect to a 2.9.4 server.
    That is usually the case - even for minor version differences, let alone a 2.x to a 3.x difference, so keep this in mind for future upgrades - players will need to upgrade/downgrade (if downgrading is possible) to the same version as the GM, you may be able to connect buT you could well experience issues from version mis-matches.
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 20th, 2013 at 19:15.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes, in order to be able to make larger changes to the system, we sometimes need to make changes to the underlying network communications or data storage structures. When this happens, I advance the version numbers so that the versions will not connect to each other, in order to prevent data corruption or other strange failure conditions.

Regards,
    JPG

In fact 3.0 will give you an error message if you try to connect to a 2.9.4 server.

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thanks Trenloe for the instructions!
    GM for Rusta utilizing FG2 Ultimate.

Thread Information