FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

Thinking of starting a C&C campaign... questions!

I am accustomed to DMing in PF, 3.5e and Rolemaster. I bought the 4th edition of the C&C rules a while ago; have not really used so far.

What are some of the things I will have to do differently in the C&C rules from what I will be accustomed to from the other rulesets in terms of functionality?

Do I need anything beyond the 4th edition rules that are available here on the FG store?
    Last edited by JohnD; August 9th, 2013 at 15:37.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. The key thing to look at are the Siege rolls (rolls against the base attributes). These take the place of most of the non class and race specific skills. The other nice thing is that you're only rolling against a base difficulty of 10 for "Prime" skills, one determined by class and up to to more depending on race; otherwise you're rolling against a "Secondary" skill which is more difficult (base difficulty 18). The only other difference is the encumbrance system which is based off of Encumbrance Values (or EV's as they're referred to in the game. It's quite the elegant system based off of the 3.0 rules of D&D. You shouldn't need anything else from the store (although Castellan's Guide to Arms and Armor of the Middle Ages helps if you don't have access to those rules - but AD&D weapons are comparable); if you have any 1e D&D material (especially the monster manuals) they can come in handy, as material from that is easily blended into the system. It might seem a bit Rules-lite in comparison to the systems you're used to dealing with, but the simplicity reaps rewards as it doesn't bog down gameplay, often requiring a single roll where more would be required in other systems. So in toto that's the differences in the systems, and no you don't really need anything other than the core rules to get you going. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

No problems.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

The C&C ruleset is a bit older than the recent 3.5e and 4e rulesets. So recent functionality is not present.

I don't have access to it at the moment so I can't 100% confirm these:
    • Targetting - click to target and double-click to attack damage are not implemented. You need to drag/drop rolls to the token or CT.
    • Players do not get access to the story and images lists - once they close the specific window shared by the GM it has to be re-shared for the players to get access.
    • Effects - these are basically place holders to show when something expires. There are no modifiers or built-in conditions linked to C&C effects.
    • Grid alignment tools - you can't bump/resize the grid pixel by pixel. Get the grid right first time or do it again!
    • No import/export of PCs.
    • Players need to have bought the C&C ruleset to be able to use the library modules - they are installed as "client" not "common" (shared). So, even though the GM control if the players can access the modules, the players have to have bought the ruleset and have it installed - the modules will not be downloaded from the GM! But, the players don't need to buy the ruleset to play - just like all other FG rulesets this will be downloaded when they connect to the GM.

I think the above are the main differences. It's been a while since I played so if my recollection of the above is not correct please don't shoot me down in flames!

Dr Venture is working on Sorcerer's updated ruleset and is making some progress in developing a more up-to-date ruleset. I don't know where he is in doing this, I know it is a long process...
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 9th, 2013 at 21:22.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Do I need anything beyond the 4th edition rules that are available here on the FG store?
    Not really - there is a lot of cool stuff for C&C in the store, but the ruleset stands on its own fine.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The C&C ruleset is a bit older than the recent 3.5e and 4e rulesets. So recent functionality is not present.

I don't have access to it at the moment so I can't 100% confirm these:
    • Targetting - click to target and double-click to attack damage are not implemented. You need to drag/drop rolls to the token or CT.
    • Players do not get access to the story and images lists - once they close the specific window shared by the GM it has to be re-shared for the players to get access.
    • Effects - these are basically place holders to show when something expires. There are no modifiers or built-in conditions linked to C&C effects.
    • Grid alignment tools - you can't bump/resize the grid pixel by pixel. Get the grid right first time or do it again!
    • No import/export of PCs.
    • Players need to have bought the C&C ruleset to be able to use the library modules - they are installed as "client" not "common" (shared). So, even though the GM control if the players can access the modules, the players have to have bought the ruleset and have it installed - the modules will not be downloaded from the GM! But, the players don't need to buy the ruleset to play - just like all other FG rulesets this will be downloaded when they connect to the GM.

I think the above are the main differences. It's been a while since I played so if my recollection of the above is not correct please don't shoot me down in flames!

Dr Venture is working on Sorcerer's updated ruleset and is making some progress in developing a more up-to-date ruleset. I don't know where he is in doing this, I know it is a long process...
    Shouldn't be too long of a wait now. A lot progress is being made. And the player's who join get reference to the PHB if it's force-downloaded (that option is included in the ruleset). but mostly the technical side you've got right. Pretty good I'd say from memory.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Oh, and in the game there are no opposed rolls. So if you cast a spell, it's cast, and you don't roll for success; the target rolls against the Challenge Level (CL) which is usually the base difficulty usually 10 for spell slingers, add their level to the skill and any other modifiers and either takes no effect, half damage or full damage. (using spells as a simple example). Basically the no opposed rolls speeds things up and give the characters a bit of an edge in the game. Otherwise initiative is rolled, combat basically follows the 3.0 system, and it's a heck of a lot of fun. A definite two thumbs up in systems.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S Ferguson View Post
    Shouldn't be too long of a wait now. A lot progress is being made. And the player's who join get reference to the PHB if it's force-downloaded (that option is included in the ruleset). but mostly the technical side you've got right. Pretty good I'd say from memory.
    I wouldn't mind looking at the new version while figuring the rules out... sounds like it wouldn't take long regardless.

I generally love the complexity of Rolemaster, but a simple, straight forward system has a lot going for itself in this day and age of hectic schedules and over burdensome work responsibilities.

Will have to PM Dr. Venture.

- John Diefenbaker

Thread Information