5E Character Create Playlist
Page 6 of 11 First ... 45678 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Actually, based off the referrer statistics today, it looks like there may still be quite a few people who aren't aware of FG Con - most of these are from damned's "spammed" threads:
    Keep in mind that there are a lot of community members who will not read every thread on this forum - or even more than 10% of them. Therefore, hitting threads (even old ones) that have a vague link/relevance to FG Con might send out an email to people who subscribed to those threads, thus getting the message out. Which the above referrer statistics suggest is the case.
    There was method to my madness. I hit 7 threads and some of you would have got 7 emails - sorry. 4 of the threads were specific FG-Con threads. The other 3 had over 100 post counts and were popular general threads. I do apologise to any that I upset but be warned - I will probably do it again next con! Repeat business is far easier to get than new business.
    Also I looked at popular threads in 4E and BRP etc and did not hit those because we have no games running with those RuleSets...

Hitting the threads where we have no games running might turn up some GMs who aren't aware of the con and maybe they'll run a game.

Alright, I hope this goes well but I have entered in a game to run.

I might add a game or two, but thing is, it's more work for me to do an FG2 game than RL table games as I need to add lots of stuff into a program I don't know that well yet.

Buuut then who says every game needs to be a full module in style? :-)

Blog Entries
    Hey Grimtina - you can enter as much or as little into FG as you like.
    What do you *need*?
    Character sheets.
    Everything else is up to you.
    Most people like to run combat on a map and using tracker so you would need one or more maps (or draw freestyle on the run) and your tokens.
    So maps and tokens are highly recommended.
    Story can be good because often there are clues hidden in story and players have light bulb moments and go back and check story entries - but these are up to GM.
    If posting more games look for time slots with few or no games as your first choice - providing they work with you.
    We have about 10 games that dont have any players signed up just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimtina View Post
    I might add a game or two, but thing is, it's more work for me to do an FG2 game than RL table games as I need to add lots of stuff into a program I don't know that well yet.

Buuut then who says every game needs to be a full module in style? :-)
    As that damned fellow says... as little or as much as you like.

If you're running the game over voice (which I'd recommend for the convention as you'll get more gaming done in your slot) you really don't need that much. I run all of my one-shot games with the following:
    • PC's pre entered.
    • Encounter and geographical maps.
    • Flavour images if appropriate.
    • NPC stat blocks with a token pre-assigned (usually some of the excellent Shockbolt tokens that come with FG).
    • Encounters pre-entered so that the NPCs can be deployed to the combat tracker quickly and the tokens can be automatically placed on the map.
    • Important boxed text as story entries I can drag to the chat window and share with the players.

I then have a printout or PDF of the adventure I'm running in front of me so I can run the game just like I would do behind a GM screen.

For a convention game you really don't want it to be too long as you have a limited time slot and may not be able to run over as players might have signed up for a game immediately after, so the amount of the stuff listed above you'd need to have entered in Fantasy Grounds wouldn't be that much.

EDIT: Now that I am used to Fantasy Grounds, preparing for the same one-shot scenario face-to-face actually takes me longer than preparing for it on Fantasy Grounds.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 17th, 2013 at 02:10.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    If you are used to running games in RL and tracking combat on paper, you could still do that. Just need a map and some PCs in that case!

Char sheets is what I struggle with most - totally different format. I'm slowly entering stuff but it takes ages. I think I will need to host he main sheet on my server still, spells and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimtina View Post
    Char sheets is what I struggle with most - totally different format. I'm slowly entering stuff but it takes ages. I think I will need to host he main sheet on my server still, spells and all.
    For what ruleset?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information