FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Server down time last night and this morning

Our server was down unexpectedly for roughly 15 hours as it was exploited and used as part of DDoS attack. As a precaution, our host (1&1) had removed it from the network and the only way we could access the server was through a serial connection. We worked with our host to resolve the issue and got the site back online.

Note that while the server was down, no games were able to use the alias feature or check the validation on an Ultimate license.

In the event of any future server down instances, you can continue to connect with each other by using your external IP address if your users have Full, Lite or Ultimate licenses. You can find it on the screen before you load your campaign. Give this out to your players and have them connect to it instead of to your normal alias.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are going to continue monitoring and tweaking things on the server to prevent or limit any future attacks.

You realize that's not really a solution for Ultimate licenses. That makes Ultimate licenses no better than Full licenses but they cost 110 dollars more. I realize this doesnt happen all the time, but my group who is just starting out on Fantasy Grounds now have this negative impression right out of the gate. This group was four players and a GM, so we paid even more for the ultimate license than we would have needed to for four lites and full.

While I was frustrated last night when this happened, I can understand that outages occur. Your workaround is just not really fair to your customers. Perhaps a license/key pairing that is generated off the machine information the application is installed on that is used when it cant access your validation system?

Blog Entries
    Jimshu, you are correct. We do realize this and haven't found a solution for it yet. There have been very few instances of down-time in the last five years or so, so it hasn't really been an issue so far. The recent issues are making us re-evaluate the situation.

Thanks for communicating what happened. I would categorize this as an "uncommon situation", as how often is your server compromised.

Yeah, my regular Saturday morning group missed a week. It's life. It happens.

Just keep up the great work, Devs!

I hope the little hooligans enjoyed disprupting my Saturday game. I look forward to game-time all week.

Off to buy Savage Worlds out of sympathy. Hope they leave the server alone now.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison
    Jimshu, you are correct. We do realize this and haven't found a solution for it yet. There have been very few instances of down-time in the last five years or so, so it hasn't really been an issue so far. The recent issues are making us re-evaluate the situation.
    Yeah ive had FG for a number of years and this is the first time Ive had any serious issues with it.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

No one can upload any attachments to forum posts. As part of the lockdown over the last couple of days has the ability to upload attachments been suspended/removed?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    We are planning to update the forum software next week. Stay tuned for more info.

thanks for the info. Glad to hear it is rare.
    Ultimate license

Thread Information