DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: RQ2 ruleset

RQ2 ruleset

Has anyone successfully managed to create a ruleset for Runequest 2 using the BRP system?

A friend has been working on a version of the Chaosium RQ2 ruleset for a long time. He has run a few sessions of it in the past. Or did you mean the Mongoose version ?

The chaosium version. I love runequest 2, and played it for many years. I'm struggling a little trying to extend FG2's BRP system to be closer to the second edition chaosium rules though.

Blog Entries
    I have a RQ2 (Chaosium) extension for BRP mostly underway but I haven't really been working on the project for a while... If I had some motivation to go back to it I might.. but currently it is on my back burner.

I ran into some issues with updates to FG where BRP wasn't making use of some of the newer features I was kinda waiting until the core system update went in to start working on this again.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

I've really started by stripping back the skills and stats to more like the rq2 system. I ditched education and exchanged charisma for appearance.

As there's no real defense register, I've put it as a statless skill in its own category.

The weapon skills have no space for parry, so I'm probably going to ask the players to create a second skill for their weapon abbreviated with parry on the end so that I can keep track.

I find the armor page on the character sheet incredibly cumbersome, and will probably try next to remove the picture and replace it with a larger table version of the original hit location chart. I might play test it first as its really the players who will need to use it rather than me (evil laugh).

I've also found that the mini pages for skills don't actually work so I might try fixing those with the extension also. *edit* bah ok so theres a show on mini sheet check box but its not obvious lol*

If someone has already done what I've mentioned, please let me know as it will save a bit of time if we collaborate

Az.
    Last edited by Azaran; June 13th, 2013 at 00:00.

I've also noticed that the skill bonuses are a bit flat. they're calculated by +1 for each above 10, which doesn't fit well with RQ as it moves in increments of 5 except when you critical or impale a stat increase roll.

I'm trying to work on a calculation per stat to run the mod increases rather than how it works just now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran
    I've really started by stripping back the skills and stats to more like the rq2 system. I ditched education and exchanged charisma for appearance.

As there's no real defense register, I've put it as a statless skill in its own category.

The weapon skills have no space for parry, so I'm probably going to ask the players to create a second skill for their weapon abbreviated with parry on the end so that I can keep track.

I find the armor page on the character sheet incredibly cumbersome, and will probably try next to remove the picture and replace it with a larger table version of the original hit location chart. I might play test it first as its really the players who will need to use it rather than me (evil laugh).

I've also found that the mini pages for skills don't actually work so I might try fixing those with the extension also. *edit* bah ok so theres a show on mini sheet check box but its not obvious lol*

If someone has already done what I've mentioned, please let me know as it will save a bit of time if we collaborate

Az.
    I've done some of this work already... defense isn't actually statless. It's based on SIZ, DEX, INT, & POW...
    There are some big issues that I was working on.. like tying the weapons into the skills page... targeting... geez.. I can't remember it's been so long since I worked on this one.
    This is what I have done so far... but it's far from done.
    I also have some great modules.. but unfortunately.. I don't think I can share those.
    Last edited by Blackfoot; June 13th, 2013 at 02:10.

Blog Entries
    I've also noticed that the skill bonuses are a bit flat. they're calculated by +1 for each above 10, which doesn't fit well with RQ as it moves in increments of 5 except when you critical or impale a stat increase roll.

I'm trying to work on a calculation per stat to run the mod increases rather than how it works just now.
    None of the calculations in the BRP ruleset are 'quite right' for RQ2 calcs.. but they weren't that hard to tweak to be right.. I 'think' I had that part working right.. if I can remember correctly... it's been over a year since I looked at this stuff.
    The BRP ruleset makes no effort to do stat calcs for weapons... which is a mistake IMO... without stat calcs you can't make use of effects that enhance stats and therefore weapon skills... ie Strength, Vigor, & Coordination spells.

I don't know if I'd start this project at this time... there are some big changes coming for the FG core system.. if I am following what Moon Wizard is suggesting he is working on. Changes that will hopefully make it simpler to incorporate new basic features into other rulesets like BRP.
    Last edited by Blackfoot; June 13th, 2013 at 02:18.

Blog Entries
    Az.
    The armor picture is an option in the prefs... you can turn it off there easily enough.

Fantastic, thanks for your help Blackfoot you've certainly saved me a lot of work. I can start bringing in some of my own modules to use with this straight away.

I had planned on manually calculating defense, and the weapon stats I will probably have to manually update for the players to get a starting point.
    Last edited by Azaran; June 13th, 2013 at 08:11.

Thread Information