DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    But remember at higher levels come higher risks. Those monsters may be enough to scare the pants off of your players, but there still has to be an engaging adventure premise. I generally make a few monsters "unique." I guess it's the old school method of "templates." Those dead orcs might come back stronger than ever with a Necromancer behind the scenes. Although This is a one-trick pony, however vamping old creatures can be vastly unique as Gygax mentioned in a few of his articles.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Blog Entries
    High level adventures are much more difficult for me, both to write and to GM. As others have mentioned, at high levels it's a lot more likely that some character will have a scenario-breaking ability or item.

But I also find it's harder to know when I've created an encounter that's too tough for the party at high levels. I suspect that might just be a matter of having more practice at lower levels, though.

Just my 2 CP.

~Phystus

Quote Originally Posted by Phystus
    High level adventures are much more difficult for me, both to write and to GM. As others have mentioned, at high levels it's a lot more likely that some character will have a scenario-breaking ability or item.

But I also find it's harder to know when I've created an encounter that's too tough for the party at high levels. I suspect that might just be a matter of having more practice at lower levels, though.

Just my 2 CP.

~Phystus
    Basically, I find it easier to balance the encounters (you have far more variety at higher levels) to the characters. So what if the wizard can cast horrific fireballs. Shove him up against a fire elemental and that's effectively neutralized. And the encounters need not be physical. At higher levels, characters are expected to use their brains first. Throw in a few cryptic puzzles. I think that most DM's are more afraid of their party's capabilities than necessary. But as you said, it takes practice.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thread Information