DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Gurps

Blog Entries
    I'm with Trenloe on this. It was Saithan's GURPS ruleset that got me to buy the GURPS books and supplements I have. I may never use them with Fantasy Grounds all but it encouraged me to dig deeper into the system enough so that I'm playing it F2F tabletop. IMHO, if the SJ Games powers that be allowed for a more automated ruleset (it doesn't need to be to the extensive level that RMC and D&D 4E are), it might even encourage more players to jump in.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I know here in where I come from a town in the interior of São Paulo in Brazil. The RPG books are very rare. It's a fight to get one or to launch a book of Gurs. Here the staff prefers WoD or D & D. I grew up with GURPS, taste and play it today. But time passes mudsam some players, new players come into our matches, but I think there must be wondering where the fantasy grounds and its automation go ... because I say he goes in order to facilitate visualições, expedite calculations, unite and meet distant friends and we can still imagine a new way of SJ sell their supplements. And here where I'm usually one or two people in the group have the books and data. Thing that ever could be different in Fantasy Grounds. Example: I really like the style cyberpunk adventures, so let's say I would have to play to have the Basic Module and complements Ultratech and Hightech and every player who wanted to participate should have these supplements. This is just an ideas, but whatever.

Yako you need to make your ideas known to SJGames. you are making your point and it is fine but you are making it to the wrong people!

in the mater of automation I am old school so I tend to only need enough to just enough and the current policy at SJGames does not effect me. as weather people want it that is fine too I am neutral, but SJGames makes their policies and they are the ones that need convincing.
    Last edited by saithan; June 16th, 2013 at 23:26.

Quote Originally Posted by saithan
    Yako you need to make your ideas known to SJGames. you are making your point and it is fine but you are making it to the wrong people!
    If you've ever dealt with SJG's legal department prepared to be stonewalled. They spent a lot of time with programmers working on RPGs that wanted to use the GURPS system but there was only one that "made it" and it was a flop, in terms of sales. The public is curtailed to using partially automated systems (like the character generator in Hero Labs) and they like to keep it that way. I don't really think it's sales of product they're worried about, but more of keeping GURPS quality control consistent. After all if someone put out a version of GURPS, and it "hurt the products image," that impacts sales, and gets there ire up.

I don't think though that it would hurt to try contacting them. If we got together a electronic petition, they might provide a license. And that's a *big* "might." and it depends on the number of GURPS FG fans clamoring for a product, under their "control," that the ruleset on FG is not complete without knowledge of the game itself.

Otherwise semi-auto (geez, I sound like a gun nut here) all the way. There's more than one way to skirt around the license. Like splitting up sections of gameplay, so that while something might take two clicks in different boxes, instead of one.

Just my 2 cents worth
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

I am in contact with gurps writers (in a game with a few) and am quite aware of the issues with them not being interested in talking (they are worse in licensing as you pointed out) not to mention spyke had gotten a cease and desist back in the days of grip.

currently I have skirted the policy to a degree that seems ok(though it caused a slight rift with me and spyke). atm the ruleset tracks successes/failures and crits as well as ranged weapons autofire and rapid fire rules. (coming next is damage multipliers for those heavy damage dealing dragons and sci-fi weapons.) also various tools in the ruleset to ease the GMs burden are being developed and improved.

I would think it cool if people tried to sway them on the mater! regardless of how I feel about automation the attention could be good!

Quote Originally Posted by saithan
    I am in contact with gurps writers (in a game with a few) and am quite aware of the issues with them not being interested in talking (they are worse in licensing as you pointed out) not to mention spyke had gotten a cease and desist back in the days of grip.

currently I have skirted the policy to a degree that seems ok(though it caused a slight rift with me and spyke). atm the ruleset tracks successes/failures and crits as well as ranged weapons autofire and rapid fire rules. (coming next is damage multipliers for those heavy damage dealing dragons and sci-fi weapons.) also various tools in the ruleset to ease the GMs burden are being developed and improved.

I would think it cool if people tried to sway them on the mater! regardless of how I feel about automation the attention could be good!
    I love those features. Glad to hear your still improving the system. GURPS-o-philes I'm sure are quite happy in the direction you're taking the ruleset. The main thing though is an audience. Sort of similar to a "class action suit" where a large number of people show their love for both the system and FG, and bring it to their attention. Not that they're not used to dealing with the FBI confiscating their computers or anything.
    Last edited by S Ferguson; June 17th, 2013 at 00:15.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Quote Originally Posted by saithan View Post
    not to mention spyke had gotten a cease and desist back in the days of grip.
    It has to be said that it was a very nicely worded and friendly cease and desist. ;-)

GURPS 4e-Enhanced has already taken things a step or two closer to the line than I was comfortable with originally with the earlier GURPS 4e ruleset, though, of course over at MapTool they went much further. SJG have drawn a line that keeps third party activity in check. People cross that line, but not too far, as SJG's intention is clear. They want to keep control of the GURPS mechanics as far as apps are concerned.

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; August 5th, 2013 at 18:15.
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    It has to be said that it was a very nicely worded and friendly cease and desist. ;-)

Spyke
    They are fairly nicely written, in a legalese sort of fashion :P
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Quote Originally Posted by saithan View Post
    currently I have skirted the policy to a degree that seems ok(though it caused a slight rift with me and spyke).
    Not really a rift, saithan. It's more that I've been a) so insanely busy this last few years, and b) got swept up with iTabletop (*) when I did have some leisure time, that I've never really found time to work out how to respond to your enhancements. There were areas of automation that I was uncomfortable with which were going out in a ruleset that essentially had my name on it.

I'm very pleased generally that you've taken my work forward, though, as I simply haven't had the time to keep my earlier set updated for changes in FG itself. (I should probably update my site. Does v0.96 even work any more?)

Spyke

(*) iTabletop suited me down to the ground due to having very little spare time. Playing face to face with video chat and a way to hand out PDF character sheets meant far less prep work than I used to have to do for an FG session.

Fantasy Grounds is still my favourite VT for text chat-based games.
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

it is awesome to see you around again.
    there are a few updates needed for 0.96 nothing major
    i'll PM you my G+, contact me.

Thread Information