DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last

Sadly I still couldnt get this fixed. What throws me off is that the connection test turns out green and ok (it didnt in the past, when we started using Hamachi)...but I still cannot seem to update (GetPackageFiles network time out in an endless loop).
    Any other suggestions what I can try to fix this?

That error indicates that the updater is not able to access the update server; which means that something on your computer or in your network is blocking the connection from the FG updater application to the FG update servers. (To be sure, I just verified that the update servers are working normally; and updating as expected.)

Usually, the block is caused by the network settings on Windows not being set to Private, Windows Defender (or other security software) blocking network access, or settings on your router (or Internet filtering software (i.e. parental control, etc.)) blocking access to the site.

Regards,
    JPG

Yes, I do not doubt its on my end (afterall, if noone could update for this long, there would be torches and pitchforks). I must say though that its very frustrating that a simple update requires so much settings in places I have never been (not needed) before. I mean, every lousy little app, game or other "icon" on my desktop updates every day it feels like without me ever having opened my router, my firewall or similar.
    ...so back to this, with googles help I did...
    - forward TCP 1802 from router to my PC (checked with tools, its open)
    - opened that port in network settings too
    - checked that ethernet adapter is on private
    None of which helped...the shocking part is that while we had our bumps with actually connecting to a session, since 2014 I never had any update issues and by now, Im out of ideas Combined with our usual issues (must use hamachi) I feel almost forced to switch to FGU (which I own, Im just hesitating as to the current state of it)

Blog Entries
    Nothing on your firewall for port forwarding applies to running an update. That is only for when you want to start hosting games and have them connect to your computer through your router.

The program on your computer you need to make sure is unblocked is located here by default:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine.exe

Also check this file for completeness:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe

If you right-click on each and check the properties, make sure that Windows does not have it marked as Blocked. If so, there will be an Unblock button. Specifically add those to your Windows firewall (or Windows Defender if you don't have a 3rd party firewall.)

If you already have an entry in your firewall, delete it and then run the Updater. You should see a firewall prompt that asks for access. Make sure to allow it over Private connections.

This is so frustrating (I do appreciate the help!) I am glad to hear that updating shouldnt be related to those settings.

So, I am not 100% sure where in the properties of those it would show that they are blocked (not that I would have touched anything there in the last 1-2+ years mind you). According to the security tab, all permissions are on allow and in none of the tabs does it say anything about being blocked (in case it would be obvious to see)

Removing all FG entries from my firewall (windows defender) and trying to update does not prompt anything (I have the checkbox set to notify me). Adding those .exe's to the exception list (allow an app through win firewall) doesnt change anything either I'm afraid.
    (FGU updates without issues still)
    I even tried to turn off Windows Defender completely...same result, timeout during first update package.

FGup.jpg

EDIT: More...
    So, I am relatively certain this must be something about our new router (was mandatory by ISP), simply because updating isnt working anymore on neither of our 2 PCs (not the player/demo version either).
    Nothing on that 2nd PC was changed at all (contrary to mine, where I changed tons of things about firewall and network settings trying to figure this one out)

However...
    - all devices are unrestricted in the router
    - nothing is on any filter or blocked list (they are all empty)
    - everything else works as before (be it Steam, a certain MMO we play with desktop launcher, a few apps I use and as mentioned FGU aswell)
    (we really didnt set up much in it...only added phones and tablets to WLAN list while PCs are connected by cable - everything unlimited/unrestricted)

This makes me wonder what on earth could be the specific difference between FG's updater to FGU's that would become an issue with a new router for one but not the other.

Update again - things get weirder (for me anyways)
    1. My PC, direct cable connection to router; updating not working anymore for long, tried many things in firewall/network settings - not sure if I made things worse but certainly not better
    2. Wifes PC, direct cable connection to router; for ages havent touched any settings there at all, stopped working (I think with new router); I tried deinstalling/reinstalling on this PC but the install process times out exactly the same
    ...now the bizare one
    3. dragged my old laptop out that I used sometime last year to help a live session - that one connects via WLAN and updating works flawless, in fact its pretty fast too
    (PS: both PCs plus Laptop use the same profile for the router too - standart/unlimited)

So with my rather limited tech/network knowledge, Id summarize that with a new router (very basic settings), updating ceased working on all cable connected PCs but via WLAN it works (dont have WLAN adapter on main PCs so cannot try there). - any ideas?
    Last edited by Valhingen; August 2nd, 2020 at 14:00.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any router settings for allowing IPv4 on the wired connections? Maybe those are limited to IPv6 only?

You might try a basic free VPN software. Also, for another data point, can you try to install the demo of Fantasy Grounds Unity on each of those machines- wired and wireless?

After checking virtually any button, tab or subsection of my router's settings, oddly enough the only thing even mentioned overall is ipv4 so it should be the same for wired and wireless machines (actually, if I check the properties of the actual adapters in all machines, their settings are identical too).
    I removed the demo version from PC#2 (the one I had not altered anything yet) and tried to re-install the demo version - it goes into the same endless loop as with the update so I cannot even re-install.

Trying a basic VPN software...phew, honestly I wouldnt know where to start and to do that for merely being able to update software seems a bit excessive, no? I'm at the point where I feel almost forced to move over to FGU (I jumped on the KS the day it came out so its not like it would cost me anything now) I'm just a bit hesitant to move the whole campaign over while it seems (just from reading the forum, not personal experience mind you) to still face some bigger issues. Also, not understanding anything of why I have this current problem with classic, I could imagine having similiar problems with FGU in future. That by the way is the number one reason for "us" to hope for FGU, improvement in connection technology and not needing things like Hamachi any longer.

Blog Entries
    FG Classic requires support for IPv4. There are a limited number of IPv4 addresses and some places (Germany is a big one) where many ISPs have switched over entirely to IPv6. Most places in the U.S. still support both IPv4 and IPv6. FGU supports both.

If you already have FGU from the Kickstarter, please do try that and just copy over your campaigns folder contents once you are able to verify that you install okay.
    Last edited by ddavison; August 3rd, 2020 at 14:35. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    FG Classic requires support for IPv4. There are a limited number of IPv4 addresses and some places (Germany is a big one) where many ISPs have switched over entirely to IPv4. Most places in the U.S. still support both IPv4 and IPv6. FGU supports both.

If you already have FGU from the Kickstarter, please do try that and just copy over your campaigns folder contents once you are able to verify that you install okay.
    He means IPv6
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information