STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    My 2 cp...

Any D&D edition before 3rd
    Any retroclone of the above (Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC)

If the topic for discussion is mostly isolated to Castles & Crusades, then the C&C forum is probably more appropriate. But technically, I think it would work here, too.

Not familiar with DW, so can't really comment on that one.

my 2 cents.. If it has ThAC0, then it can be discussed here. C&C in general should be left in its own forum, especially when spamming the readers by trying to get others to play it instead of (insert ThAC0 game here) I don't mind discussion where material is taken from other systems and applied to my ThAC0 games, but I don't want the "hey if you like D&D then you would really love (fill in old school themed game that isn't ThAC0 based at all)

Quote Originally Posted by leozelig
    My 2 cp...

If the topic for discussion is mostly isolated to Castles & Crusades, then the C&C forum is probably more appropriate. But technically, I think it would work here, too.

DW is a "retro-game" but not in the traditional sense, It has it's own rule base, different stats, and a more modern, streamlined approach to roleplaying. I'm not really sure it fits the bill, there definitely are elements that are 3e inspired, and it's not truly compatible with traditional THAC0 rules. It might be interesting to discuss to see if there are elements one might be able to pull out to enhance their game.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Quote Originally Posted by leozelig
    My 2 cp...

APOLIGIES FOR THE DOUBLE POST

DW is a "retro-game" but not in the traditional sense, It has it's own rule base, different stats, and a more modern, streamlined approach to roleplaying. I'm not really sure it fits the bill, there definitely are elements that are 3e inspired, and it's not truly compatible with traditional THAC0 rules. It might be interesting to discuss to see if there are elements one might be able to pull out to enhance their game.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

1) AD&D 1e and Basic D&D predate THAC0 - they are as classic as they get. I love AD&D and am not a fan of THAC0, but I would not suggest your system isn't classic as the ones I enjoy.

2) If you're talking about my other post comparing AD&D to C&C, I never suggested that anyone should switch systems, I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. It's not like people can't enjoy more than one game system, or if not, simply skip an article that you're not interested in.

The reason I posted it is that it was already written on my gaming web site, and that I'm under the impression that many classic AD&D fans are unaware of what C&C is and how closely it's related to classic AD&D. Why would it be taboo to make people aware of the similarities? It would have been kinda pointless to post that info in the C&C group - everyone over there already knows what's in C&C.

C&C is unquestionably retro-classic - so much so that Gygax was using it to present the long awaited Castle Greyhawk and City of Greyhawk, as it was as close to original AD&D as he could get at the time.

Also, 'spamming' is a rather accusatory term to use, regardless of whether you're referring to my post or someone else. I haven't seen anyone spamming on these forums, which is why I like it here so much.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    2) If you're talking about my other post comparing AD&D to C&C, I never suggested that anyone should switch systems, I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. It's not like people can't enjoy more than one game system, or if not, simply skip an article that you're not interested in.

The reason I posted it is that it was already written on my gaming web site, and that I'm under the impression that many classic AD&D fans are unaware of what C&C is and how closely it's related to classic AD&D. Why would it be taboo to make people aware of the similarities? It would have been kinda pointless to post that info in the C&C group - everyone over there already knows what's in C&C.

C&C is unquestionably retro-classic - so much so that Gygax was using it to present the long awaited Castle Greyhawk and City of Greyhawk, as it was as close to original AD&D as he could get at the time.

Also, 'spamming' is a rather accusatory term to use, regardless of whether you're referring to my post or someone else. I haven't seen anyone spamming on these forums, which is why I like it here so much.
    Don't worry about it dr_v - on the internet tact and decorum are far too often mythical abilities.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    Don't worry about it dr_v - on the internet tact and decorum are far too often mythical abilities.
    Did you just see a unicorn trample that puppy?

Doc, I can imagine you didn't mean it, but you did come across a bit like a recruiting poster.

Quote Originally Posted by opusaug
    Doc, I can imagine you didn't mean it, but you did come across a bit like a recruiting poster.
    Some context: that comparison was written about 2 years ago for my long time gaming friends who are now separated by distance. We've all been AD&D players together since high school, in the same campaign, no less. I wrote it in preparation for a FG game using the C&C ruleset (didn't know about OSRIC at the time). They didn't know anything about C&C, and I was just trying to be thorough and answer as many questions as possible before the game.

So here's my mea culpa: Those guys are all really distracted and busy, and making games happen can be hard. I was worried that they didn't understand how easily they'd pick up C&C, and that the game might fall apart due to that misconception. So yeah, now that I think about it, I did kinda sell the system by hilighting how easy much of it was in comparison. When I posted it here, I never dawned on me that that would come across as dumping on classic D&D!

So my apologies, all... didn't mean to say C&C is better than AD&D, though I can see it may have come across that way! They're different in some ways you may or may not appreciate, but there are many similarities, too. Of all the versions of D&D, AD&D 1e definitely my fave and it's why I've been watching and participating in this group. If I hadn't stumbled into C&C by happy accident, it's probably what I would be running my Greyhawk campaign with right now.

I do hope everyone who wasn't aware of C&C is now, and maybe can find some good material for their game, C&C or classic AD&D. The AD&D supplements transfer so easily that I can run them straight from the original text, converting in my head on the fly. I have to think that it's just as easy to convert back to AD&D, which is good for this community. If you don't mind doing a little conversion, that compatibility opens up a lot of pretty good supplement materials for your AD&D game. The Troll Lords stuff for C&C is very retro/classic, and well produced, and is worth checking out even if you play AD&D 1e. That's the kind of info I'm trying to contribute - sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by dr_venture; April 24th, 2013 at 04:22.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Blog Entries
    Doc, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for.

How many of us have found a great new game by hearing, "if you liked that game, than you will probably like this one too..."
    Ultimate License
    Time Zone: MST (GMT-7)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard
    Maybe its just nostalgia but I think there is still a large old school community and I believe a concerted effort to a really automated version of one of the old versions (carrying the D&D name) would bring in a lot of new blood to the FG community.
    it also seems that the *majority* of gronards i encounter on the net dont want to play their games on the net... sadly...

Thread Information