DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Thread: New to C&C

Hi all,
    I also purchased the ruleset and a couple of adventures from the store for I agree to all statements above. Lean, fast and from what I read in this and other threads it seems to definitly convey an old school RPG feeling when playing

I encounterd one problem so far with FGII. When my friends connected to my session with free clients ( I have an ultimate license) everything seemed to work fine accept for the modules I chose the players to see (players handbook) were not accessible for them. They could see the greyed icon their modules folder but had nothing shown in there library.

I tested the same with a different ruleset (SW) and all worked fine.

Any ideas what I can do to have players access the modules?

Many thanks in advance!

That's the way the C&C ruleset works: all of the modules that are part of the C&C ruleset are only available to people who have purchased the ruleset... so you can't share the PHB with players unless they have also bought the ruleset. You can still run games, but it's definitely less convenient, which is an idea whose merits have been discussed up here before.

Now at first thought that can sound kinda uncool compared to other FG rulesets, but it's also important to consider that the C&C ruleset is only $10, a fair bit less than many other rulesets (half as much as some modules), and is also a little less than the price of a printed PHB that most players would purchase if you were playing around a table in a regular old P&P game. It's a pretty good price to own all the contents of the PHB & Monsters and Treasure books, and all the automation of those rules in FG. Also, once a player buys the ruleset, then they themselves can then run their own games if they choose.

My personal belief (I have no special knowledge on the subject) is that Troll Lords is hoping to spread the cost out among games, while at the same time getting those games a bit more invested in the game itself. Rather than just joining a game for free and leaving, many players will now own the rules and consider running their own games. I think this approach can build the C&C community if it works - YMMV, of course.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Mmany thanks for the fast response

I can understand the point you make but this results in every player to own at least a full license of FGII right? So taking this into account will not deliver any extra money to Troll Lords but only FG (which is not a bad thing at all ) so I doubt that this strategy will work out. I personally would rather spend 20$ or 25$ for the ruleset and make it easier for players with no FGII license to get in the ring as well.

But as you also mentioned it's no use in arguing but taking it as it is and making the best out of it ....

I don't believe you have to own a full license of FG in order to use the ruleset as a player (though someone more knowledgeable than I should respond here - that's a good question). You would have to buy a FG license to act as a GM though.

Personally, I do agree with you: I'd rather pay $25 and be able to share the modules with whoever I choose. I can't hold any grudge against Troll Lords, though, as they haven't been at all greedy about publishing endless rulebooks and additions to milk their customers. Actually, on the contrary, someone posted up here at some point that they contacted Troll Lord about the need to buy the latest version of the PHB, and TL told them the minor changes weren't worth the price of the new book... a refreshing change since (IMHO) AD&D versions 2 and above.

Still... I hear ya.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

I should clarify that the person I referenced that had contacted TL about the new PHB had bought the previous version, and was wondering in they needed to upgrade from 4th printing to 5th - TL was like, "Nah, don't bother." Pretty cool.

Blog Entries
    You can buy the ruleset and use with only a LITE and I think even with a DEMO license.
    For me it would be much simpler if I could buy a CK license and be done with it - but really - why is it the CK has to do all the work and spend all the money...? On that front - damn you players - go buy a license.
    Or better yet - wait till DrV is ready to release the new v3 rule-set and then buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    You can buy the ruleset and use with only a LITE and I think even with a DEMO license.
    For me it would be much simpler if I could buy a CK license and be done with it - but really - why is it the CK has to do all the work and spend all the money...? On that front - damn you players - go buy a license.
    Or better yet - wait till DrV is ready to release the new v3 rule-set and then buy it!
    We CK's generally do it because we're a nice bunch.

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    so why do I always seem intent on knocking the players down?
    Sit down on the couch. Now tell me anout your childhood. Suppressed anger issues stemming from role players not buying the product.....
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thread Information