FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Managing Players that want to manually roll

What is the best way to coordinate FG with local players that want to manually roll their own dice. If the player drags a dice from his player sheet to a NPC token the ruleset nicely handles it. How does the DM manage damage die rolls. I know that I can manually edit the combat tracker wound field but how can I drop a number on an entry and have it added to the NPC damage. If there are effects involved is the best way to have them in the campaign effect table?

Thanks
    Joe

On adding damage, the easiest way is to type in the amount in the mod box, you can type in any amount by clicking and typing - and then just drag and drop the damage onto the wound amount to add it. You have to hit the wound box exactly though since the mod number is not a power.

For effects, yeah probably the effect table is best. However depending on your ratio of guys rolling manually, you may just find its easier not to use the combat tracker for anything but initiative if it becomes a more a hassle updating effects and wounds than just using scratch paper.

What is the mod box and where is it?

Thanks
    Joe

The mod box is below the chat window. However, I'm not clear exactly what it is you want to do. As DM, which damage rolls of your players do you need to manage? Can you give an example?

basically I just want to be able to add damage to the NPCs by just moving a number over the NPC and have it add it to the damage. Some of the players insist on using real dice.

Ah, okay. Then the method Griogre described works well - typing the number in the mod box and then dragging it into the wounds field of the monster's entry in the Combat Tracker. Or you can edit the wounds field directly, either by clicking on it and typing the new total or by hovering over it and using your mouse wheel to roll it up.

Callum

I have tried both of your choices and can't either to work. If I left click in the mod box changes the text to adjusting. Right clicking changes back to modifier. If I type a number and drag it over to the monster's entry in the combat table nothing happens. If I hover over the monsters wound total and roll the mouse wheel nothing happens also. There must be something more in the way of mouse clicks/control keys etc required in conjunction.

Thanks
    Joe

You're quite right, Joe - I was replying from memory, without having FG open in front of me, and my response was partially incorrect. You can simply click on the wounds field in the Combat Tracker and type in a new number, but the other two methods I suggested do not work.

You can roll up the number in the Modifier box using your mouse wheel, or click on the box (which changes the text to "Adjusting", as you noted), but you can't then drag the resulting number straight to the wounds field. Instead, you have to drag it to the chat window first, and then drag the resulting number bubble from the chat window to the wounds field. Alternatively, you can type "/die 5" in the chat entry box and press enter, then drag the resulting number bubble from the chat window to the wounds field. The advantage of the latter method is that you can add a type to the damage (e.g. "/die 5 fire").

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker433
    If I hover over the monsters wound total and roll the mouse wheel nothing happens also. There must be something more in the way of mouse clicks/control keys etc required in conjunction.
    Yes there is - you need to hold down the CTRL key while using the mouse-wheel when hovered over the wounds entry. This is a deliberate design - to stop wounds being accidentally added or removed when scrolling through the CT. It is actually set by an FG option - Client - Mouse: Wheel editing, which is set to "CTRL" but can be set to "Always". I wouldn't recommend always for the reasons mentioned above.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks everybody for your help. Fantasy Grounds is a great tool but it is very dIifficult to master.

Joe

Thread Information