DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Hmmmm - wonder if there is an incompatibility with the latest development version of FGII - will keep an eye on this. If anyone can confirm more, that would be great.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

That's what I was thinking. As most people don't know about Test and Dev modes, and operate under Live by default. I'm also beginning to wonder if it's the cause of a few other errors I've encountered, playing with those running 2.9.2. Like maps not scaling properly,and script errors when something is "dropped" to my screen.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Quote Originally Posted by S Ferguson
    That's what I was thinking. As most people don't know about Test and Dev modes, and operate under Live by default. I'm also beginning to wonder if it's the cause of a few other errors I've encountered, playing with those running 2.9.2. Like maps not scaling properly,and script errors when something is "dropped" to my screen.
    You really should not be using FG in a test or dev setting when running games for players or connecting to games that are not using the same setting and expect it to work the same. Running in these modes uses a different FG executable to the live setting and so could well give you issues.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    You really should not be using FG in a test or dev setting when running games for players or connecting to games that are not using the same setting and expect it to work the same. Running in these modes uses a different FG executable to the live setting and so could well give you issues.
    I have learned my lesson; and who hasn't learned form the school of hard knocks before?
    Aliens.... Go fig?

...and nothing had happened in the past. It was only the Adventure Deck extension that brought the ideas of inconsistancies in the versions. Otherwise I've been running it in test mode, since January, with no indications anything was wrong. In fact it worked beautifully.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

The test and dev options are there so that people can try either fixes for specific issues or test upcoming releases to see if they work correctly and to give extension developers chances to see if their extensions will work with the next release. If you have any issues while running test or dev you should revert to live and see if the issues occur there as well.

If they only appear in the test setting then it is good to let the relevant developer know about the issue - so they can either look at it now, or prepare to look at it when the test/dev version goes live. After all, that is what the test/dev versions are primarily there for - to allow people to take the conscious choice to try out a per-release and help identify issues before they go live.

Running test/dev for a while is not a good idea - as mentioned above. One week it might work fine, but then an update might break something and cause issues - be there problems connecting to a live GM or ruleset problems you as a GM will see. It may appear to be working perfectly, but there could always be some things that are not working the way they should be...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Mmmm. Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of code. Well at least I did catch an extension error though the process and will run in live mode for my sessions now. I use the test and dev setttings for extension writing myself (not wanting to be lagging behind when they finally arrive). It actually never occured to me that I was still running in it!
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Just posted an update on v2.9.3 to address the extension issues. Thanks to phantomwhale for helping me identify.

Please give it a try, and check out your extensions to make sure they are working as intended.

Thanks,
    JPG

Gave it a try. It works beautifully now. Thanks Moon for clearing up that issue - apparantly if it hadn't been caught it would have been a lot worse.

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thread Information