FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Just picked up BRP. I've been thinking of doing a BRP conversion for Star Trek, updating the old FASA game. The Cthulhu ruleset does me for the CoC stuff, including Dark Ages.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

In that case, if you are not already aware of it, you may find the Sci-Fi download section at BRP Central interesting.

/Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    Just picked up BRP. I've been thinking of doing a BRP conversion for Star Trek, updating the old FASA game. The Cthulhu ruleset does me for the CoC stuff, including Dark Ages.
    As long as it's not Last Unicorn or Decipher's version of Star Trek, and true to the series (and the 25th anniversary version of the Star Trek technical manual being released again - also the Star Trek Next Gen Tech Manual has more on the original series hardware as well). I for one, would like to see this. My only question would be, "how would you resolve ship combat?" I'll look forward to any development or comments.

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

I'm not that big a fan of the old series, but I would be using the canon universe - the old one - rather than the Star Fleet Battles one. Ship combat I would prefer to handle as abstract narrative. The FASA game has the tactical combat simulator, but that is basically dragging out a miniatures game. Would depend what the players want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    I'm not that big a fan of the old series, but I would be using the canon universe - the old one - rather than the Star Fleet Battles one. Ship combat I would prefer to handle as abstract narrative. The FASA game has the tactical combat simulator, but that is basically dragging out a miniatures game. Would depend what the players want to do.
    I wasn't referring to implementing SFB (man, that would be an undertaking), but rather suggesting resources to gauge playability and placing in "canon." In ship combat, if I recall the TCS, there was a provision for having players taking on the roles of the individual substations (weapons, shields, con, etc.) which might be an interesting solution to the problem. I'm not a big fan of the originals either (I actually liked Enterprise, the best which means I'm already a minority case). Given the scenarios in the shows though, Battle Stations is a constant with rough equivalents on the bridge, for any "generation."

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

I was referred here from BRP Central, so I thought I'd mention that I am interested in a BRP ruleset. I'm not sure which edition of the demo I've actually downloaded and whether I actually have FG3 or FG2.

How much programming is required to customize a ruleset? I know that CoC stuff (at least in the current edition) can be tweaked for the other BRP games. I don't know whether the official BRP ruleset will even work with the current editions. But then I'm completely new to virtual tabletops so I'm probably not the best person to be asking these questions.

So I'm not entirely sure WHAT I'm doing.

FG just recently went through a major upgrade to allow layering of features to build up rulesets. There is a CoreRPG ruleset that can be used to run any game, with some basic data sheets. Several of the SmiteWorks supported rulesets are built on this CoreRPG layer now (4E, 3.5E, PFRPG, Call of Cthulhu, Castles and Crusades). The developers for Savage Worlds and Rolemaster are looking at updates right now as well. The other rulesets provided by SmiteWorks will be brought up to that level eventually as we get developers to help or I find time to do the migration myself.

There are some people looking at it already:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Update-for-BRP

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    I was referred here from BRP Central, so I thought I'd mention that I am interested in a BRP ruleset. I'm not sure which edition of the demo I've actually downloaded and whether I actually have FG3 or FG2.

How much programming is required to customize a ruleset? I know that CoC stuff (at least in the current edition) can be tweaked for the other BRP games. I don't know whether the official BRP ruleset will even work with the current editions. But then I'm completely new to virtual tabletops so I'm probably not the best person to be asking these questions.

So I'm not entirely sure WHAT I'm doing.
    Glad to see to found your way over here :-)

Not sure if you got the answer to the question, but the FG file you download is always the newest version.

Quote Originally Posted by wbcreighton View Post
    Glad to see to found your way over here :-)

Not sure if you got the answer to the question, but the FG file you download is always the newest version.
    That helps. And it keeps wanting to update too.

If I were to buy the BRP ruleset now, I wouldn't have to buy it again if it finally gets the upgrade, would I? I imagine one of the things that will determine whether Chaosium has enough interest to greenlight a new version would be whether people will buy it, or whether the market for it has already been saturated and a new version won't being in that many new customers. I wonder if that may be the case given what's been rumored about the system changes in Call of Cthulhu (which, if correct, might obsolete the entire BRP line).
    FGU Ultimate -- All Players Welcome
    "Without Love, I'd have no anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

The ruleset upgrades are usually free. New versions of modules (game system versions) may be chargeable if further license charges are required.

Thread Information