STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Masterwork Tools, The Societies View

Ok, I've heard Masterwork tools are an issues not just in PFS but as Pathfinder as a whole. But with that I know they are allowed in PFS, I want to know what would keep me from being able to use them or not be able to use them. It seems to me, if they are legal, they are legal....period. So I'd like to hear from you guys that are tight with Paizo, what the "OFFICIAL" view on these Items are. Below is a list of a couple I intend to buy before my next game. I have come up with names and reasons for having that particular tool. Let me know what you think.

Masterwork Tools
    Masterwork Tool (Acrobatics) 50gp
    Daredevil Slippers (help in tumbling trough threaten squares)
    Masterwork Tool (UMD) 50gp
    Sticky Handle Wrap (helps keep wands from slipping during use)
    Masterwork Tool (Perception) 50gp
    A Masterwork Kit for the Senses, includes the following:
    ~Sight: Google's of Truth (The goggles' act almost as magnify glasses, enhancing ones sight)
    ~Hearing: Gel Ear Plugs (These earplugs filter loud noises and the wearer is able to hear distinct sounds much better)
    ~Smell: 2" Cedar Stick (This small sliver of Cedar wood can be placed under the nose, once sniffed an individual has an enhanced sense of smell)
    ~Taste: Spice Blend (This pinch of spices when placed on the tongue will enhance the individuals sense of taste)
    ~Touch: Sensitivity Gel (This gel is placed on the finger tips and dries instantly, this coating gives the finger tips enhance sensitivity. Stays on until washed off)
    Masterwork Tool (Sleight of Hand) 50g
    Tacky Gloves (These gloves have a tacky material on them and enhances the wearers ability to hold onto items removed from others)
    Masterwork Tool (Disguise)
    Makeup (a small container and mirror joined by a hinge, the container contains makeup. This item can enhance/distort facial features.)
    Last edited by Trueshots; February 2nd, 2013 at 19:45.

There was quite a discussion already about this here : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ad.php?t=17556

Basically, your list is OK with the exception of the kit for perception. I'd rule that each of those items would be separate tools (50gp each) and not covered by a kit.

To the best of my knowledge there has not been an "official" PFS ruling, but the expanded text in the entry in Ultimate Equipment pretty much covers their use and I mention this a few times in the above referenced thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Basically, your list is OK with the exception of the kit for perception.
    Yea I only called it a kit because I was trying to cover all the senses that perception covers. Are you really saying I need 5 perception items just to get the +2 from perception I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Trueshots
    Yea I only called it a kit because I was trying to cover all the senses that perception covers. Are you really saying I need 5 perception items just to get the +2 from perception I'm looking for?
    I'd say so, yes... But, each GM might be different in their interpretation.

The wording of the Masterwork Tool entry in the Ultimate Equipment guide is as follows, I've highlighted in bold a couple of sections that are relevant here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Equipment
    This tool is perfect for its intended job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). The bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items do not stack.

Several common items already count as masterwork tools for particular skills. These are the alchemist’s lab, climber’s kit, disguise kit, healer’s kit, masterwork musical instrument, and masterwork thieves’ tools. Therefore, there is no masterwork climber’s kit, masterwork healer’s kit, and so on—those items are already the best available for general checks with the relevant skill.

Some skills have no appropriate tool or masterwork tool— no nonmagical item exists that grants a bonus for all uses of that skill. For example, just because a certain perfume is favored by local nobles (granting a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks to influence them) doesn’t mean that perfume has the same effect on a member of the thieves’ guild, a foreign berserker, or a medusa. Likewise, just because a fake beard woven by dwarves out of the beards of famous dwarves may grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Use Magic Device checks to emulate the dwarven race doesn’t mean the beard has any effect on using that skill to activate elven items or paladin items, or to decipher a written spell.

Individual GMs may want to allow masterwork tools for other skills at the listed cost. The circumstance bonus for such a tool should never be more than +2. The tool should either have a limited number of uses (such as the disguise and healer’s kits) or only apply to certain aspects of the skill (such as the balancing pole’s bonus on Acrobatics checks to traverse a narrow surface or the magnifying glass’s bonus on Appraise checks for detailed items).
    So, for the perception skill I would say that, for example, Masterwork glasses (+2 to sight based perception checks) and Masterwork hearing trumpet (+2 to listening based perception checks) are definitely 2 different masterwork tools and need to be purchased separately - based on the "only apply to certain aspects of the skill" section highlighted above.

Just like your daredevil slippers will only help in acrobatics checks to avoid attacks of opportunity, not for balancing on a narrow ledge.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Roger that! Guess Ill buy a few more lol

Trenloe is making a good point there.

I also have in mind an item you can purchase from the "Assault on the Kindom of th Impossible" chronicle sheet. It's a +2 Intimidate item for 55 gp (Mask of the Tiger's Eye). So if you could just buy an item that grants +2 to all intimidate checks for 50 gp, the Mask of the Tiger's Eye would be pretty pointless.

So I think it's a good idea to have 50 gp masterwork tools only affect one kind of check related to a skill.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
    - Abraham Lincoln

83 % of made-up statistics use the number "83 %".

For best results, don't fail.

Except that it's a unique piece of equipment which means it may not be covered by the "Masterwork Tools" rules and therefore apply to all uses of Intimidate without limited uses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkavian_Andi
    Trenloe is making a good point there.

I also have in mind an item you can purchase from the "Assault on the Kindom of th Impossible" chronicle sheet. It's a +2 Intimidate item for 55 gp (Mask of the Tiger's Eye). So if you could just buy an item that grants +2 to all intimidate checks for 50 gp, the Mask of the Tiger's Eye would be pretty pointless.

So I think it's a good idea to have 50 gp masterwork tools only affect one kind of check related to a skill.
    If there is an existing item that serves the same purpose, that item eliminates the option of purchasing the basic one.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

I think masterwork tools are something of a cheat and I will only take them being used for specific tasks
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Ok, one last question. Since you saying I need all 5 MW tools for the single perception Bonus. Do I have to add the 1lb encumbrance to each of them? I mean the sliver of cedar wood, the gel inside the ear, the pinch of herbs all weight merely grams or ounces. No where near 1lb a piece. Thanks!

Thread Information