DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 277 First 123451353103 ... Last

Thread: Project: Par5e

parallel development

To clarify,

Are you saying that the 5e ruleset and the Par5e tool are being developed in parallel?

What is the input for the Par5e tool? I know Tenian's original tool required pasting material from pdfs into a txt file; is that the case here as well?

Thanks for all the work,
    Olodrin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olodrin
    To clarify,

Are you saying that the 5e ruleset and the Par5e tool are being developed in parallel?

What is the input for the Par5e tool? I know Tenian's original tool required pasting material from pdfs into a txt file; is that the case here as well?

Thanks for all the work,
    Olodrin
    Yes, both a new 5E ruleset and PAR5E are being developed in parallel. See screenshot below.

The input for PAR5E is currently text files i.e. cut n paste text from PDFs. Assuming Wizards release an online compendium for 5E I will also look to support scraping.

FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

This is sounding better by the minute.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Very nice. I'd love to get that Advantage/Disadvantage widget off you!

I've got a vested interest in this, I'm running a 5E homebrew campaign and any and all utilities that would allow us to run this better would be fantastic! Is there anything I can do to help this project and...when can I get my hands on a beta??

Blog Entries
    Here's the skinny. I started work on a new Parser about 10 days ago in preparation of a 5E release next year. Writing a Parser is a bit like writing a compiler, its laborious and pretty intensive at the same time. I am no where near finished yet but have already written over 10,000 lines of script. Hopefully that gives you an idea of the size of the undertaking.

moon_wizard began work on a new 5E ruleset for FGII some time ago however has temporarily parked it whilst he focuses on FGII v2.9.3+ and other as critical tasks. Given I am working on the Parser and that this entails detailed work within the ruleset library code, moon_wizard wondered whether I wanted to start work on the ruleset. I said yes. I received a dev build late last week. The advantage/disadvantage panel and mechanics were coded by moon_wizard before he passed the 5e ruleset shell to me, so I cannot say about extracting it at this moment.

To give myself a break from coding, I decided to begin with re-skinning the new ruleset rather than re-use an existing one. Skinning a ruleset takes me about 5 evenings (give or take 1) but believe it or not I find artwork very relaxing in comparison to coding so this is light work by comparison.

Once I have completed the re-skinning (hopefully by mid next week), I will then move back to coding the Parser and ruleset functionality.

So in short, I am working as fast as I can but in truth there are a like a gazillion tasks to complete before I can pass the ruleset back to JPG in a ready state or release anything out into the wilds as all three (theme+ruleset+parser) are required to do anything useful. All, I can say is please be patient.

Here's another screenshot of the ruleset after this evenings changes.

DrZ.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

I agree. Artwork is far more relaxing than programming. Actually, blasting Zombies, and Alien Invaders away in video games is fairly relaxing too. But then, I guess I'm a pretty relaxed individual.

So I suppose since you've taken over the code set I guess congratulations are in order, and I suppose we'll see project PAR5E with 2.9.3.

Can't wait.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Blog Entries
    This looks really good.

I'll do my best to have patience If there is anything I can do to help, I'll be here!

Thread Information