5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 277 1231151101 ... Last

Thread: Project: Par5e

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Project: Par5e

Hey All,

[Update]: New Java Version available for Windows, Mac and Linux platforms.
    v0.0.8-b28 (alpha) now available for testing.
    requires pre-installed Java Runtime Environment 1.8 or higher.

[NEW! - Tutorial Video by Xorn]: PAR5E Tutorial (rough cut)

Download from: https://www.drzeuss.co.uk/fantasy-gr...ilities-tools/

v0.0.9-b56

• Engine: Added checks to ensure users do not set the module source to either C:\, \ or User home folders - if detected PAR5E will abort the parse with an error.
    • Engine: Removed module temp path field -- PAR5E now creates (and deletes) a subfolder called output under the root module path at the start of each parse action, the output subfolder is used to compile the final ZIP archive.

• Engine: Removed module thumbnail path field -- PAR5E is now hard-coded to look for a file named thumbnail.png in the root of the module path
    • Engine: Removed module ID field -- this functionality is no longer required in FG
    • Engine: Added module author field -- allows for author field in module definition to be customised (defaults to PAR5E version release if left blank)
    • FT: #zal;<linkclass>;<object name>;<title> functionality to support anonymous data source linking (i.e. linking to a known object which can be referenced in one or more modules subject to whichever is open)
    • FT: #zl;spell;... functionality - individual spells can now be linked to from within formattedtext fields
    • 5E: Tables: Updated row handling to include custom reference links using syntax:

row;1;1;#zl:classbject name:<title>

where class equates to one of the classes supported by the #zl tag and object name is the name of the object to link to. An optional <title> can also be applied.

• 5E: Encounters: Updated encounters so that CR/XP line can be omitted from the source file. Where no CR/XP line is provided, PAR5E will now auto calculate the CR and XP of the encounter automatically.
    • 5E: Magic Items: Added support for Rods
    • 5E: Images: Added new data item imagegrids which allows for grids to be specified for each image. imagegrids.txt should contain a list of:

name of image + extension;grid size;grid X offset; grid Y offset;on|off

See 5E user guide for exact syntax.

NOTE: this release updates the module configuration file format for 5E, as such existing configuration files will no longer work. A new module configuration file will need to be
    created.

v0.0.8-b28

• Equipment - Added support for equipment weight to be specified as a fraction (e.g. 1/2 lb., 1/4 lb.) or as a float (e.g. 0.5 lb., 0.25 lb.)
    • Backgrounds - (Re)Fixed table row parsing to support greater than 10 rows.

v0.0.8-b27

• Engine: Added OK/WARNING message suffixes to console reporting of parsed elements as an additional aid to help users with who cannot differentiate between the green/red message colouring.
    • CoreRPG,3.5E/PF/5E libraries : updated to no longer use Module ID. When these rulesets are selected the Module ID field will be reset and disabled.
    • 5E: pregens - updated syntax for Features, Equipment and Spell Casting to support 5E v3.0.8+. See updated documentation in 5E User guide.
    • 5E: npcs - reference npcs updated to use consolidated campaign wclass npc (replacing reference_npc)

v0.0.8-b26

• 5E: docs - updated documentation for equipment, feats, #zl; tag
    • 5E: npcs - Npc reactions were bing merged with Npc actions. Fixed
    • 5E: tables - multiple versions of tables were being output, each under its own category. Fixed.
    • 5E: tables - tables with multiple columns were incorrectly setting resultscols causing columns > 1 to be dropped. Fixed

v0.0.8-b25

• 5E: backgrounds - suggested characteristics text was being dropped from output - Fixed.
    • 5E: docs - updated magic items with Type, Rarity / updated equipment renaming waterborne vehicles.
    • 5E: equipment - renamed Waterbourne Vehicles to Waterborne Vehicles (table and records)
    • 5E: feats - last feat was being dropped from output - Fixed.
    • 5E: formattedtext - Broke #zft; tag when #zf; introduced. Fixed

See changelog.txt in zip archive for more information.

Original Post

A post to say that starting with the development of a new Parser tool, I have started laying down the foundation for a new module toolchain. By toolchain I mean a suite of interoperable tools that will aid in the development and conversion of RPG adventure and rule book data into FantasyGrounds II modules.

Project: Par5e

Par5e is the project name I have dubbed for the new 5E tools, starting with a new Parser. Written in Perl, the new Parser currently supports the parsing of DDN NPCs and Spells and the creation of a module ready for the new 5E ruleset, once it's written .

Why Perl? Some might say. - Well for a few reasons really, i) Its a powerful and fast scripting language which is great for text/XML file manipulation, ii) Its open-source and available on all three core FGII platforms and iii) I want to release this tool as well as the Decompiler as open-source to the FGII community in the hopes that you guys can provide additional development and testing/support and provide variants of the toolchain to support other RPG systems and rulesets.

I am writing this modularly so that its easier to adapt to other content; the current pre-alpha version provides a number of common base subroutines and separates the 5E specific logic, the intention being to make it simple to drop in new routines to deal with differing ruleset database structures and content. I am also currently considering moving this to Object Oriented Perl to make it even simpler to replace the logic by exploiting object inheritance and overriding (we will see).

Once released the tool will support all the features supported by Tenian's excellent 4EParser including support for 3.5E/4E and 5E (future) rulesets and exporting of data directly to flat file (module) or database formats (for use with Module Workshop and if/when in the future FGII supports a restful HTTP API). The only thing the tool won't have on day one is a GUI front-end, this will be pure command line only (I believe adding a GUI would only slow down development at this stage and would not really add that much additional value). When time permits and if theres enough demand I may pen a front end in the future.

Anyhow I hope to have an alpha version I can release for testing in the next two-three weeks (subject to available time really) this unless I decide to move to OOP in which case maybe a month. Given 5E will be in flux for good while yet as well as the enormity of the 3.5E/4E/5E support - I will need testers (particularly anyone who has experience of Perl) so leave a comment and I'll be sure to keep you apprised of developments.

DrZ.
    Last edited by Zeus; March 24th, 2014 at 12:20.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thank you. Lord knows we need it.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

sometimes I wish Id kept up with programming. When I studied programming two of the languages I had to learn were Pascal & Cobal. AND when I wanted to compile my code I had to submitt it to a queue on a PDP-11. MAN thats was a long time ago
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Quote Originally Posted by Willot
    sometimes I wish Id kept up with programming. When I studied programming two of the languages I had to learn were Pascal & Cobal. AND when I wanted to compile my code I had to submitt it to a queue on a PDP-11. MAN thats was a long time ago
    I can remember punching cards to be sent off to the main frame

Count me in for testing please.

- I'll write my code in Pascal for ya!
    GM for Rusta utilizing FG2 Ultimate.

Ditto. Fortran 77 kept the punch codes forever. I actually had to program on a PDP-8 (even though the 11's were available). I had a drill master for an instructor who said he'd kill us if he found an infinite loop in our *tiny* programs.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Quote Originally Posted by S Ferguson
    Ditto. Fortran 77 kept the punch codes forever. I actually had to program on a PDP-8 (even though the 11's were available). I had a drill master for an instructor who said he'd kill us if he found an infinite loop in our *tiny* programs.
    You could probably pickup a PDP now for like $50. Remember the old Winchester hardrives like size of a washing machine but like 1mb total or something ridiculous
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Not as bad as magnetic core memory on a LISP Machine. Don't think you could by one, and why would you? An Ipod holds, like a gazillion of them (that's a transcendental number...)
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Blog Entries

Smile

Update.

Development is moving along nicely. 5E Magic Items, NPC, Spells and Equipment are all now supported with ZERO markup of the source content required. You still need to ensure your source is good quality but no need for dreaded ZZX type tagging so far.

I stopped focusing on content a couple of evenings ago whilst I started re-writing the core script loop to better support additional rulesets and future planned functionality. I managed to work in some abstraction too, its now possible for other libraries to register their subroutines with the Parser. In short the main Perl script (par5e) makes use of a common Perl Module (PAR5E::Parser) to provide basic subroutine support whilst the the script hooks its main parse, generative and write XML handlers from the applied ruleset specific library (the lib for 5E is called PAR5E::dnd5Elib) via call back mechanisms, so in theory any ruleset that FGII supports can be supported by PAR5E, all that is needed is a custom library.

Also added the following:

- support for Perl 5 v14, v16 and v17
    - command line option support
    - configuration file support
    - messaging and status updates - PAR5E will highlight status through colour coded (user configurable) messages making it easier to spot problems before you open up the module in FGII.
    - ZIP archive support
    - option to auto move the finalised module to the FGII modules folder
    - common support functions to aid in ruleset library development
    - template for base ruleset support
    - 4E ruleset library - for testing purposes
    - configurable unicode support default is utf-8 to iso-8859-1
    - lots of bug fixes and tweaks

To do
    - write lots more script ...

Some screenshots of PAR5E in action:

Parse completed, having run in default mode i.e. no verbose messaging:

Parse underway with verbose messaging ...

Parse still underway ...

Only joking current 5E available playtesting material takes less than 6 seconds to Parse, less than 14 to produce an entire module!
    Last edited by Zeus; February 3rd, 2013 at 00:26.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information