DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    The Cartographers Guild probably have tips for creating maps in GIMP. I'd head over there and see what they have: https://www.cartographersguild.com

https://www.cartographersguild.com/t...y-mapping.html
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/t...maps-gimp.html
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Blog Entries
    Also, if you plan to use maps with FGII, don't add grids in GiMP, instead apply the grid from within FGII. Much easier.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZeuss
    Also, if you plan to use maps with FGII, don't add grids in GiMP, instead apply the grid from within FGII. Much easier.
    This is a good tip - I sometimes put just a single 5' square off to the edge of the map somewhere so I can get the scale of my grid right within Fantasy Grounds and then use the FG image "nudge" buttons to align it correctly.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I add a grid as an overlay at 50-80% transparency, so it is very faint. But I do not use the FG grid, so I agree that it is not necessary.

I spent some time at the Cartographer's Guild, and I also would recommend it.

The basic skills you need, I would say, are...

Layers: I use these extensively. The first ones I add are are "Walls", "Grid", and "Background", all transparent except Background, which I initially set up as a White layer. Those are listed top to bottom, btw.

Grid: It's super easy... Filters -> Render -> Pattern -> Grid... I set the spacing to 50 - this is basically your grid size, 30 is probably more than enough resolution. I like to set the Offset to 0. This just aligns the grid with the upper left corner of your map.

Walls: I use a size 3-5 round brush. If your grid is 30 or you have 5' wide corridors or small rooms, I would go with a 3. If you left-click a spot, then hold Shift and left-click a second spot, it will draw a straight line. I freehand cave/natural walls, but some people like to use Apply Jitter with that for even more randomization.

Background: I like cgtextures.com - you need to register (free), and there is a daily download limit, but they have some nice stuff. I have a cool parchment background I use when I just want an ink-drawn old map feel. Recommend Google or Cartographer's Guild for that.

When you are comfortable with that...

Mask: Add Layer Mask on your Grid layer if you have one (default opacity is fine, I think it is white). Fuzzy Select outside your walls (or select inside the walls and Select -> Invert), then fill selection with black. Make sure your mask layer is selected when filling. The black will hide the grid outside your walls, which is a standard map effect. I like to create a White layer above my Background (unless of course you keep your background white), set as Overlay at 60% transparency, and create the same mask as my grid mask to highlight the floor area of my map.

Wall Shadows: Duplicate your Walls layer and move the duplicate below the Walls layer. I like to rename this Walls Shadow, or whatever. It doesn't matter as much for walls if the layer is above or below, but it does if you start creating object shadows so the shadow only shows around the object and not over it. Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. I set the blur radius to half of my grid size (25 for my 50-pixel grid), but experiment to see what works. All shadow layers should be set at 80% transparency or less. I like to fuzzy select the area outside my walls (on Walls layer), select Walls Shadow layer, and Colors -> Invert to make shadow outside the walls white - this will give you the illusion of depth for your floors.

Doors: I create TWO layers for this - Doors and Doors Color. I always make separate layers for colors, with the colors layer under the lines layer. If you don't like a color, it is much easier to change it later. Rectangle Select in the shape of your door. Click the Doors Color layer and Fill Selection with white. Then select the Doors layer and Edit -> Stroke Selection. I like to use the brush at size 2 for doors, stairs, and other details, but it's up to you. Some cartographers apply a bevel to the white part to give it that gray shadow in the lower right borders, also your call. If you do that, a bevel of 3-5 should be right.

Water: I like the Gimp pool texture as an Overlay, but it can be a normal layer too. I make a Water Color layer for the shade of blue, then a Water Texture layer on top of that for the pool texture (Overlay 60-80% opacity) desaturated so it's black and white. It gives you more control over your water color. Sometimes a little highlighting helps (again, make another layer as either an Overlay or semi-transparent), white at the borders of the pool or dark curvy lines for waves or currents.

More Textures: Last thing... I like to create a Paper Texture layer on the very top. Fill the layer with Gimp's paper texture (looks like a crosshatch). Set as Overlay with 60-80% transparency. This gives a nice gritty feel to the map!

Enjoy...

Leo
    Last edited by leozelig; June 9th, 2013 at 14:11.

Thread Information