DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 28 First 1234513 ... Last

Thread: Effects library

Quote Originally Posted by Callum
    Trenloe? JPG? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
    Sorry, I missed the first request...

The bonus types across all "powers" (including AC) is defined in \scripts\data_common.lua in the "bonustypes" section:
    Code:
    bonustypes = {
    	"alchemical",
    	"armor",
    	"circumstance",
    	"competence",
    	"deflection",
    	"dodge",
    	"enhancement",
    	"insight",
    	"luck",
    	"morale",
    	"natural",
    	"profane",
    	"racial",
    	"resistance",
    	"sacred",
    	"shield",
    	"size"
    };
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry, forgot to add that the next section of data_common.lua lists the bonus types that are "stackable":
    Code:
    stackablebonustypes = {
    	"circumstance",
    	"dodge"
    };
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Excellent, Trenloe, thanks! So do you know what happens if two valid bonus types are given as descriptors in an AC effect (as I've done, in barkskin for example, with "natural armor")?
    Last edited by Callum; January 13th, 2013 at 21:54.

Hhhhmmmm, looking at the underlying code and doing some test...

"AC:2 natural" works fine - it adds +2 to AC on top of any current natural armor entered on the combat tab. Great!

Problem:
    "AC:2 shield" adds +2 to AC on top of any current shield bonus. Not great.

It looks like there may be a bug with AC effects stacking with existing AC entries in the combat tab... Unless I'm going mad...

Callum or someone else, could you please do a quick test in FG to confirm the above and I'm not just seeing things with my testing? Thanks very much...

Excellent, Trenloe, thanks! So do you know what happens if two valid bonus types are given as descriptors in an AC effect (as I've done, in barkskin for example, with "natural armor")?
    It would only read the first word as the bonus type, the second would be taken as the "range" entry which wouldn't match. As per the "descriptors" in the effects label:modifiers table:
    [bonus type], [range], opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    It looks like there may be a bug with AC effects stacking with existing AC entries in the combat tab... Unless I'm going mad...

Callum or someone else, could you please do a quick test in FG to confirm the above and I'm not just seeing things with my testing? Thanks very much...
    No, that's definitely the case - the stacking only takes account of the labels in the Combat Tracker, and ignores the Combat Tab in the character sheet (except to provide the base numbers for initial AC, prior to the application of effects).

No, that's definitely the case - the stacking only takes account of the labels in the Combat Tracker, and ignores the Combat Tab in the character sheet (except to provide the base numbers for initial AC, prior to the application of effects).
    Wow, never noticed that before... Thanks for confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    It would only read the first word as the bonus type, the second would be taken as the "range" entry which wouldn't match. As per the "descriptors" in the effects label:modifiers table:
    [bonus type], [range], opportunity
    Ah, yes, of course - because none of them are marked as accepting multiple entries. So, if you wanted to specify a bonus type, and that it was for opportunity attacks, but not a range, would you have to put some kind on null entry in-between?

The underlying problem stems from the fact that the "enhancement" bonus in the 3.5E rules is actually five different bonus types: enhancement-to-armor, enhancement-to-natural-armor, enhancement-to-shield, enhancement-to-weapon, and enhancement-to-ability-score! While that works fine for paper-and-pencil play, when you're trying to get a computer to automate bonus stacking (as in FG), you really need to have them all separated out in some way.

Currently, the fact that the FG stacking ignores the Combat Tab details can be used as a work-around for natural armor - effectively making the "natural" bonus type stand in for "enhancement-to-natural-armor". However, this leaves the problem of shield and armor values stacking incorrectly!

So, here are all the effects listed in the first post, plus a few other things that I quickly found using the PRD. If any more effects are posted in the first post, I will update the XML to include them.

If any issues come into play, let me know as I have not tested the effects in FG. Just rename the .zip to .mod and drop in your modules folder. Enjoy.

--Edit: Corrected the issue with the module loading. Any more issues, let me know.

EDIT BY MOD: A slightly updated module is available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...87&postcount=3 The effects.zip module in this post here has a / in the same, so the module won't be downloaded to remote players, so they won't have access to the cool effects. Use the updated module in the Modules thread and you should be OK.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 14th, 2013 at 04:24.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Thread Information