DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 16 of 28 First ... 6141516171826 ... Last

Thread: Effects library

When you drag a spell to a character sheet, FG attempts to parse the spell description, looking for certain keywords that it can make into actions. That's where "frightened" and "shaken" come from when you drag cause fear onto a character sheet, and also where all the "heal" and "damage" actions come from. So these actions don't exist in the spells module - they are created on the fly by FG. The problem is that, although useful, the parsing is quite limited, and you often end up with missing or erroneous actions, or ones that are don't have the correct duration, etc.

Blog Entries
    If you check out Farnaby's spell module.. (I'll post a link in a sec).. he and Trenloe worked out a way to override the parsing and build the effects into the spells within the module. It's a lot of work.. but.. it can be done...

Here's a link to it.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Wait...are you really saying that you can have spell effects in a spells module, and they become active when you drag the spell onto a character sheet? If so, that's absolutely amazing, and is something I've been wishing for for years! How do the effects appear when you look at the spell in the spell module? Can you post an image of that? Or can you share your spell module?

Now we can compile 3.5E/Pathfinder spell modules with all the effects built-in!
    As Blackfoot says, see Farnaby's excellent spell module. It's been around for a while...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for pointing us to Farnaby's spell module, Blackfoot and Ternloe - it does, indeed, look excellent. However, I notice that it seems to depend on several extensions, which could potentially lead to spells becoming broken by updates - is that right?

Thanks for pointing us to Farnaby's spell module, Blackfoot and Ternloe - it does, indeed, look excellent. However, I notice that it seems to depend on several extensions, which could potentially lead to spells becoming broken by updates - is that right?
    The main one that might break it is DCPlus. I suggest you ask Farnaby for details in the spell module thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for pointing us to Farnaby's spell module, Blackfoot and Trenloe - it does, indeed, look excellent. However, I notice that it seems to depend on several extensions, which could potentially lead to spells becoming broken by updates - is that right?
    I wasn't really suggesting you use his module necessarily, more that you can use his technique for whatever project you are working on. (DCPlus is an excellent extension BTW and really SHOULD be incorporated into the ruleset at some point.)

I need 2 things for poison effects, random ability damage e.g. 1d2 CON damage as well as cumulative damage.

Anyone know ways around this?
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

Either the developers have changed the effects, or I have failed to understand something about them
    I play D&D 3.5 if that is important.
    When I do a effect on my character I copy paste what is written on the first page.
    With rage, I get the effect: STR: 4; CON: 4; SAVE: 2 will,morale; AC: -2
    But, all the abilities adds to the modifier, not the score. So with STR: 4 is actually a +8 strenght increase.
    My attacks, strenght checks, damage and skill cheks all now assume I have +4 on my strenght modifier, which is not what I want to do.

The easy fix is to use STR: 2 instead of 4, but if I have something that adds 1 or 3 of and ability modifier I do not know how to apply this. I can not add STR: 1 because this adds 2 strenght.
    STR: 1/2 og STR: 0.5 does not work. Can anybody help me with this. And if they have changed this we have to update the first page on this post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Svandal View Post
    With rage, I get the effect: STR: 4; CON: 4; SAVE: 2 will,morale; AC: -2
    But, all the abilities adds to the modifier, not the score. So with STR: 4 is actually a +8 strenght increase.
    My attacks, strenght checks, damage and skill cheks all now assume I have +4 on my strength modifier..
    This is not actually correct. STR:4 adds 4 strength the modifiers are +2 to hit and to damage from that effect. Test it with no other effects active (as I just did) and you'll see this to be the case.

ABIL modifiers add the modifier amount.. so ABIL:1 strength would add 1 to strength checks only.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    This is not actually correct. STR:4 adds 4 strength the modifiers are +2 to hit and to damage from that effect. Test it with no other effects active (as I just did) and you'll see this to be the case.

ABIL modifiers add the modifier amount.. so ABIL:1 strength would add 1 to strength checks only.
    Ok. I should report this as a bug then, mine still comes up as bonus on modifier.

I will report it when I come back home at sunday😊. Thanks for the reply

Thread Information