DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Level Headed Edge

Hi All,

I saw several posts that say the "Level Headed" Edge just works automatically if the player drags the edge to their character sheet. When this edge is used does the system display anything, like what happens when a Joker is dealt?

Thank You,
    rundeks

Yep, it's printed into the chat window (e.g. something like "Rundeks was dealt the eight of spades and the king of hearts. Rundeks uses the King of hearts"). It also works for NPCs too, by the way.

Quick and Improved level headed (and Fast as Lightning, if you own the Deadlands extension) all work in a similar fashion.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Just need to add some code to do the reverse i.e. the "Slow" hindrance which if you get dealt a card higher than <insert number here> redeal another card, I think it's already on the request list
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Is there a "Slow" hindrance ?

I mean, there is a hook in the ruleset code to easily add a "Slow" hindrance into the ruleset (or any edge / hindrance that affects combat card dealing) but you'd probably want to include this with the extension that provides this extra hindrance.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

I have seen two different versions I think so far (add-ons and maybe not even pinnacle) but they are out there...
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Not quite as deepest, darkest Wales as before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk
    I have seen two different versions I think so far (add-ons and maybe not even pinnacle) but they are out there...
    Slow is a Hindrance in the Weird Wars setting:

"Not everyone was born with cat-like reflexes. This soldier is just a little slow on the uptake, or maybe freezes up when lead starts flying. He draws two cards and acts on the worst. If he draws a Joker, he uses it normally and ignores his Hindrance for the round.

Slow characters cannot take the Quick Edge, but they can actually improve their reaction time by taking the Level Headed Edge (but not during character creation). For this soldier, Level Headed allows them to draw one card and act normally. Improved Level Headed grants them two cards and they act on the best of the two."

Enjoy programming that one

Thanks all for the quick reply and great responses!
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Slow Hindrance (Tour of Darkness)

So I have created an extension that takes the lower of two cards by using the following code:

Code:
    function onInit()
    	InitiativeManager.registerAbilityHandler("slow", "SLOW", slowHandler)
    end

function slowHandler(wActorGroup, tCard, fDraw)
    	local msg = {font = "systemfont"}
    	local sWording = " was dealt the "
    	local sText = wActorGroup.getName() .. sWording .. tCard.displayName()
    	local extracards = 1
    	if wActorGroup.hasAbility("SLOW") then 
    		extracards = 2
    	end
    	for i = extracards,1,-1 do
    		tempcard = fDraw()
    		if i == 1 then
    			sText = sText .. " and the " .. tempcard.displayName() .. "."
    		else
    			sText = sText .. ", the " .. tempcard.displayName()
    		end
    		if tempcard.compareTo(tCard) < 0 then
    			tCard = tempcard
    		end
    		sWording = " uses the "
    	end
    	msg.text = sText
    	ChatManager.deliverMessage(msg)

return tCard, sWording
    end
    Only thing is this only works for Players if they have the Slow Hindrance in their list of edges, what else do I need to tweak to get it to check if it is in hindrances?

Thanks

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

This was discussed here --> https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...8&postcount=20

In a nutshell, the combatant code (combatant.lua) either checks the NPC special ability list, or the PC edges list. Hence there is no simple way to hook in a Hindrance to affect dealing.

You can "hack" this by editing combatant.lua, and changing it around line 181 from:

Code:
    elseif targetNode.getChild("edges") then 
      return CharacterSheetCommon.hasEdge(targetNode, sAbility)
    end
    to

Code:
    elseif targetNode.getChild("edges") then 
      return CharacterSheetCommon.hasAbility(targetNode, sAbility)
    end
    This is something I should consider changing for v3.4 - unless anyone can think of any hindrances called "Quick", "Level Headed" or similar that might cause issues (!)

Regards,
    -PW-

In the Savage Worlds Deluxe rulebook there's Improved Level Headed in which you draw 3 cards.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thread Information