Joshua Stream Pre
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Rise of the Runelords (Pathfinder AP)

In the sleepy coastal town of Sandpoint, evil is brewing. An attack by crazed goblins reveals the shadows of a forgotten past returning to threaten the town—and perhaps all of Varisia.

Game Info
    The game calendar page is here.
    We will use the community Teamspeak server.
    The game sessions will be on Wednesdays at 7:00 PM CST (GMT -6) and run for about four hours.
    This campaign is the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path, specifically the Anniversary Edition, which was updated for the Pathfinder rules.
    There will be a lot of role-playing opportunities available, and I'll adjust based on what you do with the first few sessions. There's also a lot of dungeon crawling.
    The entire adventure path should take at least a year to complete, so I hope that people joining can commit to a few months at least.
    This AP has been approved for PFS credit, so at certain points you'll get a chronicle sheet as if you had just completed a 3 XP module with a pregen.
    Once we have a group, I'll set up a forum.
    The day of the first session is still undetermined, as I'm waiting for something else. It may be as early as the 16th, but there's a chance that it won't start until the 30th. In the meantime, I'll have time to customize the beginning of the AP to the PCs a little more.

Campaign Background
    The Player's Guide has a lot of information to help you make your character fit the AP., including the campaign traits. However, the original player's guide has a much better introduction to Varisia and Sandpoint, so it is a highly recommended read. The feats listed in the original player's guide are not available (they were meant for D&D 3.5 and were replaced by traits), but the items are. The list of rumors in the guide are things you would learn just by spending a little while in one of the taverns, but keep in mind that if your character has just arrived to town he may not have had time to hear them yet.

Character Info
    In general, all material created by Paizo is allowed if it fits the Golarion setting, barring some specific things. I may allow third-party stuff on a case-by-case basis.

Characters start at level 1 and will be level 17 at the end of the AP. We will use event-based leveling, not XP.

We will be using Hero Points as described in the APG, inlcuding the feats, spells, and items. The antihero option is not allowed. Certain NPCs will also get hero points, mwa ha ha.

Attributes: 20-point buy.
    Races: Pretty much any race listed as a PC option is OK, but no Drow, Duergar, Svirfneblin, or Goblins. I may block others after I look at them.
    Classes: No Gunslingers. I don't think they'll mesh well mechanically with the AP. No Summoners if there's more than four players.
    Traits: You get two traits, one of which must be a campaign, race, or regional trait. You may chose from the Player's Guide or from the campaign traits in the APG (lower down on the same page I linked for Hero Points), as they are also based in Sandpoint.
    Equipment: Max gold by class. You may also have minor personal effects for free.
    HP: Follow PFS rules. Max at first level, then 1/2 your HD plus 1 for every level afterwards.
    Alignment: No evil characters. Chaotic Neutral characters who are selfish jerks are also not allowed, but CN characters who can play nice with the group so they can get a share of the treasure are fine.

Background: You'll start with an extra hero point for giving me a decent background. Try to keep it short, and your campaign trait should probably be at the core of the whole thing. I don't care about what events happened to you, unless they explain why you're in Sandpoint (at the start of the Swallowtail festival and the dedication of the new cathedral, if it matters). I care more about what you look like, who you worship (FYI, the six gods honored at Sandpoint Cathedral are Abadar, Desna, Erastil, Gozreh, Sarenrae, and Shelyn), how you like to spend your evenings, what your most prized possession is, what your biggest fear is, what you're willing to fight and/or die for, etc. You can make it as long as you like for your own information, but I probably won't read more than a couple of paragraphs.

If you're interested in crafting, there will be blocks of time for it. The first will come after you're level four.

I thought I'd warn you that this AP is a little light on the treasure for a while in the beginning. Don't worry, it will make up for it.

Feel free to ask me for advice.

House Rules
    May change, of course.

Monks get full BAB.
    Point Blank Shot is no longer a prerequisite for Precise Shot. However, it is still a prerequisite for any feat that has Precise Shot as a prerequisite, such as Improved Precise Shot.
    Weapon Finesse is a free feat for weapon-focused classes, including every class with full BAB, rogues, monks, magi, clerics or inquisitors with the War domain, or oracles with the Battle mystery. Certain archetypes may also qualify.
    The Climb and Swim skills are combined into the Athletics skill. Jumping may be performed using Athletics or Acrobatics. You may take the feat Skill Focus(Athletics).
    Sorcerers receive their bloodline bonus spells one level earlier to match the oracle mystery bonus spell progression.
    The Leadership feat is limited to only the cohort, and is not allowed if there are more than five players.

This one I'll do if the players want to use it:
    Rolling a 20 for both the critical threat and the confirmation gives max damage.

This isn't really a house rule, but once the party can stop worrying about encumbrance, I'll won't make you track mundane consumables like ammunition and food. It's a drop in a very large bucket after a while, and I'd rather just handwave it as you getting all you need every time you're in town, like the rules already do with spell components. If you buy a quiver of a certain type of (mundane) arrow once, we'll assume you're always keeping your Efficient Quiver or Bag of Holding full of them. After a certain point I won't make you worry about paying for lodgings or stabling either.

Let me know if you have any questions, and hopefully I'll be able to set the starting date by next week.
    Last edited by Gwaihir Scout; January 12th, 2013 at 04:52.
    A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, stab it in the back.

Sounds really cool. I already found the game calendar page before you postet this and signed up

How would you like players to give you the character background? I suppose sending a PM would be an easy way.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
    - Abraham Lincoln

83 % of made-up statistics use the number "83 %".

For best results, don't fail.

Yeah, that's probably for the best. Although, if there's no secrets, feel free to post it here. You might inspire others.
    A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, stab it in the back.

Blog Entries
    To clarify: every Wednesday is a game night?
    "Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"The right to free speech is more important than the content of the speech."

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."

- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    To clarify: every Wednesday is a game night?
    Barring my schedule conflicts or Apocalypse 2: Revenge of the Mayans, yes.

I would be very interested in this game and I have signed up on the calendar. I have been looking for a week-day game and this sounds really fun. I'm leaving my class un-chosen at this point as I am pretty flexible in what I enjoy playing. My #1 preference would be a magus but if we need something else I am happy to fill the role.

ok, my character isn't really a man of mystery, so I might as well give others some inspiration.

General Description: My character is Foetracker, a young Shoanti wearing simple clothes made of furs and leather.
    His head is shaved and tattoed with tribal symbols in various colours.

When Foetracker was born, he was given the name Tariq. A few months ago, he performed a Rite of Passage was given the name Foetracker. His birth name is only used by very close family members.

Rite of Passage: Tariq and four other young Shoanti were sent into the wild to solve a problem that had emerged. Scouts had reported decreasing numbers of wild animals. Also, travelers had gone missing lately. The group decided to follow a herd of wild animals, hoping to finally meet whatever caused their disappearance. Tariq used his divine magic to increase his ability to track the animals, and that way, he quickly led the group to an old cave, that had been populated by an unnaturally large amount of giant spiders. The young Shoanti fought their way through the cave, evaded several cleverly placed traps, and finally found the source of the trouble: An Ettercap had made its home in this cave and had started preying on anything that came near. After a hard fight, the group defeated the creature. They returned to their tribe and received their new names.
    The other members of the group are now known as "Kills swiftly", "Snarespotter", "Trial by Venom", and "Eight Leg Burn".

Travel to Sandpoint: Foetracker decided to leave his homeland and hunt down creatures that threaten the lives of common people who can't defend themselves. On his travels, he heard rumors about creatures attacking humans in coastal towns. He doesn't really want anything special in Sandpoint, he just went to town to hear some rumors. But since there's going to be a festival, he decided to stay a while longer and get some rest before he will hunt again.

Worship: Foetracker worships his totem, wolf. Although he doesn't worship the gods, he still has great respect for religions of good aligned gods and most of the neutral aligned gods, especially for Desna and Erastil.

Evenings: Spending the evenings depends on the circumstances. When he's alone, Foetracker works alot properly preparing animals he hunted so the meat and the fur are usable. When there are other people around, he will only do the absolutely necessary work, and spends the time with storytelling and singing.

His most prized possession: That's definitely a wooden amulet he carved himself after his rite of passage. It's a simple picture of a wolf and serves as his holy symbol.

Greatest Fear: Being raised in a Shoanti tribe, he shares his people's great fear of losing all of the Shoanti's ancient homeland and of the Shoanti being erased from Golarion.

What is he willing to fight and/or die for: His pack. It's not been long since his rite of passage, so he hasn't found anyone yet who he considers his pack. This was also a reason he decided to leave his tribe; he hopes to find people who he finds worthy of being his tribe.
    (spoiler alert: this will be the other PCs)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
    - Abraham Lincoln

83 % of made-up statistics use the number "83 %".

For best results, don't fail.

Nice and simple. I like it.

Don't let yourself be limited by the questions I listed, though. That was supposed to be what the "etc." was for. Skip a question and make up your own if you want, too. I'll look at the character files another time.

I am definitely in for this game. I am currently thinking cleric.

Wow, is there a guide somewhere of how to make a write up like the one above? I have a weak imagination and no knowledge of dnd/ pathfinder lore. I would need some serious assistance in this area!

Thread Information