DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Ruleset Support for Pathfinder

Hello,

first of all i want to apologize for my bad english, iam out of training in writing since i only read in english a long time.
    I have an few questions about playing Pathfinder/d20/3.5 with FG2 and hope some cracks here can take me on the right way to save my precious time needed for preparation of my campaign.

First i want to tell something about our group:

We are a group of six german P&P-AD&D-Players (2nd-Edition) and started to play again after a long time with the aid of FG2 and the OSRIC-Ruleset.
    We are playing in the Forgotten Realms Campaign and all chars are still at low level.
    We know parts from the 3.5 Rules through Video Games and the MMO DDO but the German Hardcovers are very rare and too expensive to buy on Ebay.

Now what i want from the ruleset and modules:
    - First of all i need the monsters available to throw them onto the map without great preparation (with stats and equipment)
    - It would be cool if the ruleset helps to shorten up the fights like special abilities implemented into the game (best from monsters and player, feats, spells effects...)
    - Magic Items and Spells ready to use with support from the ruleset (area of effect, damage, saves...)

First i thought of the d20 system or D&D 3.5. Then i found out that Pathfinder is a modified d20-system wich is also published in german language.

This would be a great help for me and my Players with the new Rules (the changes from 2nd Edition are enormous).

Maybe some of you can help me with my decision wich Ruleset supports the most features that i mentioned above. Maybe you have a better proposal for my specific problem. I have no Problem to convert my Campaign to any Ruleset since the standard D&D-Monsters are available.

Blog Entries
    Both 3.5e and Pathfinder pretty well have the same functionality. Pathfinder has been described as 3.75e... there will be some abilities that PCs have you will need to configure on your own but for the most part everything is there from the start in FG... including spells, most of the standard monsters and magic items.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Hmm, that sounds very good. We were glad to find the OSRIC ruleset here in forum to use our old 2nd-Edition Material (tons of material, everthing ever published in german language and the rest in english).

But iam not very happy with the options that i have as DM with OSRIC.
    Rule of Three ist doing a great job to convert the OSRIC-Monsters for FG2, this would be a big help for me. But i cant see when and if it will be finished.

The next thing is that i dont think that the OSRIC-Ruleset is supporting the game so much than the 3.5 or Pathfinder.

If i could lay my hands on german Rulebooks from D&D 3.5 then the choice would go straight to D&D 3.5 but i still cannot decide between Pathfinder or 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod6
    Hello,

first of all i want to apologize for my bad english, iam out of training in writing since i only read in english a long time.
    I have an few questions about playing Pathfinder/d20/3.5 with FG2 and hope some cracks here can take me on the right way to save my precious time needed for preparation of my campaign.

First i want to tell something about our group:

We are a group of six german P&P-AD&D-Players (2nd-Edition) and started to play again after a long time with the aid of FG2 and the OSRIC-Ruleset.
    We are playing in the Forgotten Realms Campaign and all chars are still at low level.
    We know parts from the 3.5 Rules through Video Games and the MMO DDO but the German Hardcovers are very rare and too expensive to buy on Ebay.

Now what i want from the ruleset and modules:
    - First of all i need the monsters available to throw them onto the map without great preparation (with stats and equipment)
    - It would be cool if the ruleset helps to shorten up the fights like special abilities implemented into the game (best from monsters and player, feats, spells effects...)
    - Magic Items and Spells ready to use with support from the ruleset (area of effect, damage, saves...)

First i thought of the d20 system or D&D 3.5. Then i found out that Pathfinder is a modified d20-system wich is also published in german language.

This would be a great help for me and my Players with the new Rules (the changes from 2nd Edition are enormous).

Maybe some of you can help me with my decision wich Ruleset supports the most features that i mentioned above. Maybe you have a better proposal for my specific problem. I have no Problem to convert my Campaign to any Ruleset since the standard D&D-Monsters are available.
    There are a number of Pathfinder library modules created by the community available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ad.php?t=16074

They include all the monsters from Bestiaries 2 and 3 (Bestiary 1 comes with the PF ruleset). NPCs from the Gamemastery guide too.

There is also a complete spell module (that I need to update) that covered all Paizo spells until around the beginning of this year.

Other modules cover summoned monsters and animal companions.

So - lots of reference material for Pathfinder that allows you to drag-and-drop monsters, spells, magic items into your game.

There is also the creature parser that allows you to import NPC stats from PDFs: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ad.php?t=15475

From my point of view (biased because I play Pathfinder) there is more community produced modules for Pathfinder than 3.5E.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok, thanks for the answers. I think i will give pathfinder a try. The investment of 10€ for the basic ruleset (pdf) is very low and the translation in german is also preferrable.

Thread Information