DICE PACKS BUNDLE

A question of templates

Sorry for asking what might be a trivial question, but my Savage Worlds campaign includes vampires. The Horror Beastiary lists a template that you can "drop" on a character giving them "Vampiric powers." Is there a way of creating these templates within the current Deluxe Core? Any help would be appreciated.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Not sure what the FGII Horror Companion module offers in the Bestiary section ?

As for core SW ruleset functionality, currently you can drag "Monstrous Abilities" onto a PC's edges list - so if the horror companion has them listed, you should be able to drag them in. I believe Ikeal's extension lets you create new Monstrous Abilities within the ruleset too, if you don't own the horror companion for FGII.

Not sure if there is anything "more" to the templates (having not read the horror companion) e.g. does it modify traits too ? If so, then there is no native support, but wouldn't stop someone writing one
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Yes it alters stats (increases in strength, agility, etc). Otherwise it just adds edges and hindrances to the character. I'm not sure if the Horror Supplement for FGII supports this. I'd write it, but like I said, I'm reletively new to FG. Actually upon rereading it it adjusts all the stats by various die levels and adds adds Special Abilities (like "undead") and Weaknesses (e.g. to sunlight). Any takes on this?
    Last edited by S Ferguson; December 19th, 2012 at 01:27.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Well, for now you can drag and drop edges and hindrances in, and then just adjust the stats manually. If some of these edges are horror companion specific, you'll need to own that module in FGII to drag them in, or use Ikeal's extension / programming skills to create your own entries.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Actually if someone could add a "template" system I can see lots of potential uses e.g. adding an archetype to a character, adding permanent penalties as a result of play, outfitting a "gear package." It could prove to be quite useful for adjusting traits and abilities simultaneously.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Interesting - I was thinking around a "temporary adjustment" concept for the ruleset (e.g. for trait boost for boost/lower trait or Toughness boost for Armour power). This could also be extended to a more "permanent" style of adjustment (e.g. whilst I have the "vampiric" edge, apply these modifiers).

For character archetypes (e.g. starting characters) there is already the ability to drag NPC links into the PC menu - there are some in the SWD players guide in fact. But for "added in later" template stuff, I think there is something there.

In general, it would be good to drag more thing onto character list entries to add them (e.g. gear) too, but need to give items more love in general first I think.

Good point.

The system seems to be fairly simple: For the "Vampiric" adjustment to characters you increase Agility by 1 die, Smarts and Spirit by 2 dice, Strength by 5 dice, and Vigor by 3 dice. Then there's an increase to Fighting and Guts by 2 dice and Intimidation by 3 dice. All other skills remain the same at the time of "death." You retain all Edges and Hindrances; add the Claws, Improved Frenzy and Undead special abilities. then the Weaknesses to Sunlight, Holy Symbols, Holy Water, Invitation Only, Stake through the Heart and finally add the Undead special ability. The different Powers are picked up during play or added as the GM sees fit (which is basically a paraphrased version of the HB description).

You see where a drag and drop system would be beneficial.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thread Information