Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantasy grounds

6 66.67%
  • Hero Labs

3 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hero Labs VS Fantasy Grounds

I don't know if anyone has tried this. But i download Hero Labs and went to the M&M section to try the demo just to compare. Well, i noticed the stats are different. Does anyone have any idea as to why. Also which one is the more accurate one?

Are you comparing Hero Labs for M&M 2nd edition to Fantasy Grounds for M&M 3rd edition? There were changes in the skill points and stats between the 2nd and 3rd editions of M&M made by Green Ronin.

As far as your poll, the two programs are functionally incomparable. Hero Labs lets you make characters while Fantasy Grounds 2 lets you play online virtual tabletop games. If you tried to use FG2 as a full featured character generator, I can see why Hero Labs might appeal to you. However if you learn the features of Fantasy Grounds 2, get a few friends together and played a game or three. I'd bet you would see FG2's merits.

I use both. . Sounds like you got the 2nd edition ruleset for HL though.

M&M3rd Edition

I was refering to the 3rdM&M additon. And yes maybe i should have clarified the character generator. The skill sets are noticeably different and was curious as to which one was more accurate. I have both. But like that Hero labs gives you your speed and strength stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocinox
    However if you learn the features of Fantasy Grounds 2, get a few friends together and played a game or three. I'd bet you would see FG2's merits.
    Your right i am still learning the functions and features od Fantasy Grounds. But i have yet to see a consistent game on M&M.

Quote Originally Posted by hakfson77
    Your right i am still learning the functions and features od Fantasy Grounds. But i have yet to see a consistent game on M&M.
    Yes, it's the newest ruleset for FG2. Which means it takes some time for the FG2 pros to learn the system and generate an interest in playing a game of M&M, while the M&M pros haven't been exposed to the fun and simplicity of FG2 and virtual tabletop games in general. It will take a little time.

I will however, offer that we've had a few M&M games hit the games calendar here on the FG2 site since it was introduced, but again, until the intersection of the Venn diagram of FG2 players and M&M players grows a bit more pronounced the relative occurrence of games might be a bit low.

As you apparently have some interest in the M&M system, perhaps you could start a game for it? I would suggest starting by searching the games calendar for other M&M games and then directly PMing those players with a link to your game to bring it to their attention. While I usually wouldn't suggest such direct methods, given the circumstances, I think it wouldn't be a terrible distraction to those contacted.

Good Luck!

I accually am organizing a game but i am still learning fantasy grounds and don't think i am "dm" ready. I am still learning. Watching Keith Hershey vidoes on youtube. I will get there. I want to dm and see if i can come up with a good hook.

I've used Hero Lab a bit and not found any errors when double checking the math. I'll be waiting for your game though. I am beginning to wonder if the MM ruleset has been forgotten.

They are mostly different products. Hero Labs, although it has some game tracking features, is first and formost a character generation tool. Fantasy Grounds is centered more on running a game with little-to-no real character generation capabilities save for entering the already compleated stats.

I played in three M&M game sessions run in Fantasy Grounds, for the most part it is a nice template. There are some limitations, expecially in the conditions tracking area and area affect attacks.

Primarilly I am dismayed that their seems to be little support for the ruleset.

Blog Entries
    hakfson77 - who can tell when they are DM ready? dive in, make a few mistakes, learn a few things and have fun. your players wont mind you making a few (or many) errors - and if they do, apologise and forget to ask them back for the second session!

Thread Information